Cheap BAC meter correlates much better w/ BHB vs. my Ketonix 2015

22 consecutive days of fasting data – all three checked shortly after getting up each morning before eating or drinking anything.

I used Precision Ultra to read blood ketones (BHB). I also used the cheap $12 Greenwon BAC meter as well as the Ketonix 2015 breath meter.

$12 Greenwon BAC Meter
[When testing with this meter, I do it three times and take the highest reading. I exhale half way, then put mouth on device and blow out as fast as I can, attempting to get tail end of breath into meter, all within 5 seconds – if I go over 5 seconds, the meter gives me a goose egg and I have to scratch that test and start over. BAC results in chart are in mg/100ml. To convert to BAC% divide by 1000. E.g. 47 mg/100ml = 0.047]

Ketonix 2015:

(Jason S) #2

wow! so it looks like Ketonix is not as accurate at the simple cheap BAC device. Am I reading this correctly?

I have 100 more BHB blood ketone test strips – got them for $1.08 a piece off ebay in bulk.

I’ll be doing this for 100 more days. So I’ll have 4 months of data in a nice graph, for those interested. :slight_smile:

At that point I probably will sell my Ketonix if it continues to perform as is. And predominantly test with BAC meter each day… doing spot checks here and there with BHB test strips.

Yeah the cheap meter is working better for me. It could perhaps be my particular ketonix meter? I am not sure.

(Jason S) #5

where did you get the BAC meter?

I got the meter from Amazon.com for $13.30 delivered :

I learned about the use of BAC meter in place of Ketonix for testing breath ketones from the following ketogenic forums thread a few months ago:

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #8

Bumping an old topic, because I am very much interested. Do you still have the data?