Can keto cause celiac disease?

(Jessika Nilsson) #21

Yeah, DNA test confirmed that Celiac disease is in my genes…
In Sweden we seem to use both terms, but maybe specifically Celiac for when your intestines are damaged and haven’t recovered as of yet.

(Nicole) #22

I think the main difference between celiac disease and non celiac gluten intolerance (NCGI) is that one has positive tests (tissue transglutaminase, endomysial antibosies, deaminated gliadin peptides, or endscopy) and one has negative tests.

I’m a celiac. When I get “glutened” I will feel run down, get a stomach ache and possibly get arthritic flare-ups, migraines and constipated. Large or repeated exposures may may it worse. I have not found that I react worse now that I am GF, but I think the symptoms may be more noticeable because I am not used to feeling sick most of the time anymore. Before I was diagnosed, I had migraines half the time, stomach aches most evenings, fatigue, arthritis flare-ups often, and my hair was thinning - that was my normal. Now if I get those symptoms, they stand out because they are unusual. KWIM?

YMMV, but I know some with NCGI who had much more violent symptoms than I ever did, and I know a celiac whose only symptom was anemia. It really varies between people.

(Edith) #23

Both my daughters tested negative for celiac blood tests but gluten makes them vomit for several hours, have diarrhea for several days, and break out with canker sores.

I find the term “coeliac” very helpful if eating out.
If I ask for gluten free then I often get a “look” like I am just making a request on a whim.

If I say “I am coeliac and get very sick if I have any - it is a food allergy” then wait staff are much more inclined to take me seriously.
Food allergies do (and should) put the wind up any respectable food vendor, so it gets a lot more respect.

@VirginiaEdie

Hopefully you read this. The blood test for celiac is notoriously unreliable and give lots of false negatives. If you are positive you have it, if you are negative you can still have it. An estimated 30% of people with celiac test negative on the blood test.

If you have the inclination the 23 and me will tell you if you carry any of the celiac alleles.

(Sara Smiles001) #26

I stumbled across this post in 2021. So here I am from the future to tell you there MAY be a link between adult onset celiac disease and the keto diet due to a change in gut bacteria. Of course you already have to have the gene for celiac disease but there is a possible link there. I am 37 and was diagnosed with celiac 6 years ago. I did the Atkins diet through out my entire 20s. On keto now and having severe dehydration and constipation issues. Way worse than in my 20s. I’m trying to stick with it because the decrease in sugar and carbs has stopped diarrhea and bloating but boy is it extreme the other way now. I started to do research because I feel like my body is telling me something isn’t right. I came across a treasure trove of articles about the long term effects on gut health and the keto diet. I always had a sneaking suspicion … :woman_shrugging:t3:

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

I have gluten intolerance, not the same as celiac. Keto has helped me because I stopped eating grains that contain gluten. Since all gluten containing flours contain LOTS of carbs, keto should work ok.
It sounds like Atkins worked for you. Maybe go back to that rather than keto?

I am not someone who thinks keto is the answer for everyone. I just know it sure works well for me.
Hope you get yourself sorted out.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

This can be the result of insufficient salt in the diet. It’s an easy experiment, anyway. Simply increase your salt intake and drink to satisfy your thirst. Sometimes that’s all it takes.

A few studies released four or five years ago showed that the healthiest sodium intake was 4-6 grams a day, which translates to 10-15 grams/day of table salt (sodium chloride).

(Edith) #29

Somewhere in this podcast, it mentions that everyone develops leaky gut from gluten. Some people just may not know it because it doesn’t cause them digestive distress. It could be causing insomnia or anxiety or _____.

I don’t believe (and I am using the word “believe,” so no data to back this up) keto causes celiac disease. I think most people just didn’t know they had a problem from it until they started following the keto diet and felt better and started healing. Then when they eat something containing flour, their body rejects it.

Years ago when we discovered we had trouble with gluten I read that the newly healed gut becomes over sensitive to the offending substance. We did seem to find that to be the case. After being gluten free for about a year, we could handle it in small doses, but two days in a row? Then the trouble would start.

My oldest daughter is most likely a celiac. She can’t handle the tiniest amount of gluten. But even she has found the longer it’s been since a slip up, the less severe her reaction.

Btw, definitely up your salt. It will help you hold onto fluids. Almost 2 teaspoons a day is the usual recommendation. You can try drinking bouillon tea. It’s a tasty way to increase your salt intake.