Boiled coffee increases serum low density lipoprotein concentration?

(Joey) #21

@never2late Thanks for clarifying!

Now that @ctviggen provided the results table and notes above (I was blocked by a paywall) I can’t find anything pertaining to whether LDL are “damaged” through oxidation, or the “small/dense” vs “light/fluffy” subfractions.

It simply provides cholesterol counts (not particle sizes) of broad sizes associated with consuming the various beverages.

Still unclear what Dr Paul Mason is getting at (or relying upon) in making his point?

While the statistical significance may be meaningful mathematically as asserted by the authors, I remain unconvinced that one can draw any meaningful insights re: health consequences (either pos or neg) in light of what I see are modest changes in measured serum LDL in the table. This is especially true given the +/- ranges associated with the SEMs (standard error of measurement) provided next to each mean.

It would seem a more compelling question is whether drinking 6-8 daily servings of a caffeinated beverage hsa any meaningful affect on health. I didn’t see mention of a control group, i.e., subjects who drank neither coffee nor tea - e.g., water. Probably hard to recruit those subjects? :wink:

In short: While I don’t doubt that 8 servings of coffee/tea daily can influence one’s overall health in some manner, I don’t see anything in this particular 35 year old study that sheds meaningful light on the question.

Just my US$0.02 :vulcan_salute:

Hi Joey. I don’t actually personally think there’s much health benefit to drinking that much coffee. I don’t drink coffee with cream because I think it’s healthy, but because I love the taste. If I didn’t put cream in the coffee, I wouldn’t bother drinking coffee. My addiction is not coffee, but cream. Is it healthy? I don’t know, but I’d like to keep some culinary highlights, my other is bacon.