Body Composition Scale Suggestions

This thread also talks about scales and mentions a Tanita. I posted a new question because it had been awhile

This is an older thread

Is it really worth the extra $280? I am still deciding. Here is the way I look at it, if there were no decent body composition scales then I would definitely think about shelling out for the InBody but if the Omron or one of the Tanitas does a decent job, what am I paying extra on? Not challenging, really asking if it is worth it and I am not sure I understand the difference

I dunno, my curiosity on it is since it’s made by inBody that (maybe) it has more of the tech that the ones in the gyms that cost a couple grand have and would be more accurate. I can’t say that it is for sure. The Omron is good no question but the inBody (the gym one) is better. How much of that translates to the consumer model, I’m not sure. It’s a gamble I guess. As a whole as long as I hit the Omron first thing AM with no liquid in me it’s typically pretty damn close to the more expensive methods. I’m one of those never happy types and keep buying crap I don’t need :grinning:

Sounds good. The one problem I have is privacy. I really have a thing about other users knowing my weight and I have a lot of people in my house. The Omron does not have a blue tooth link to app

I use an Aria myself but find that it has a 5 percentage point difference between what I see on it and a DEXA scan so I do question it’s accuracy. It is helpful for showing a trend, linking to my app so I can see a graph is also nice.

I didn’t know that consumer devices existed that measures resistance through the legs AND arms. I might need a new toy to test with.

(Sitanshu) #25

I have been using a BIA Scale for a few years now (daily for about 8 months now), so I’d like to add my 2 cents here. Hopefully you find it useful.

Machine - Omron HBF-514C Full body sensor and composition meter

Tips

1. The values are not necessarily accurate on a daily basis. They will fluctuate and that might throw you off times. However, if you are consistent and regular they are excellent for long term tracking.

2. Do your test at the same time each day, keeping as many variables (amount of water, food etc in your body constant). I have found that measuring myself right after waking up in the morning is the best time to test. As soon as I get up, I pee, and then weigh/measure myself. IDo it before drinking any water or coffee.

This way I am able to keep things constant as much as possible. Minimum amount of food and water in my stomach and generally the water distribution is pretty even since I have been in the sleeping position for at least 7 hours. If I were to do this in the evening, the variables are not always the same. How much water I have in the body, what I have eaten, how I feel etc all make a difference in the readings. By doing it in the morning, the factors are at the most controlled level.

1. Do your test everyday, but average the results over a week. I take a reading each morning, but then average the weeks results. For example, my week starts on Monday - Sunday, so I average the weeks result and only use the weekly results for comparison. The weekly average provides the best results if you want to track your progress.

As mentioned earlier, daily results can fluctuate due to many small causes (I even think the type of workout from the previous day has an impact on my results). However, this averages out over a week. The weekly averages are very good indicators of your progress.

1. Do not use the BIA scale to check your precise body fat%, but use it to understand the trend. The actual body fat% mentioned in the BIA might be a couple of percentage points off the actual number. However, if you see that your weekly average body fat% is decreasing on a regular basis, you are doing something right.
    If the BIA shows your body fat as 18%, the reality might be anywhere between 16-20%. However, if your weekly body fat average is falling every week by 0.4%, then you are on the right track. If your weekly body fat% average is going up, you need fix a something.

2. Stick to one scale. I visited my inlaws for about 4 weeks during this period and they had a different model of an Omron BIA. It showed my skeletal muscle% nearly 5% off what mine was showing. However, I used it only to check the trend/weekly average and it seemed to work. But for that you need to use it for a longer period (2 weeks +)

Good luck with a BIA. Its a very handy tool as long as you know how to use it.

Thank you for the analysis. Are there any options to keep the readings private? I really do not want other family members to know my weight. We have another scale in the kids bathroom but H would have access to this one as well. My other choice if everyone really thinks this is the closest to giving me an accurate reading is to keep it in my closet which no one ever goes into.

Also, if I did keep it where anyone could access it, if someone goes on it will it immediately show the prior weight? I would really prefer one that sends everything to an App that is private but if the Omron are the most accurate without breaking the bank then that may be the best purchase at this point