Blood glucose meter newbie

(Jimyy) #61

Hey guys! I’m a new member in this forum and I hope you will be happy to welcome me to your community. The thing is, it’s been two years when my blood glucose is not as good as it was before. Even though, everything goes even worse. Maybe, you could recommend really good blood glucose meter? I want something that wouldn’t be so expensive, but at the same time with high quality. I am actually thinking about this Cera Chek glucose meter: http://www.deviceinformed.com/medical-devices-global-directory/primary-care/general-practice/blood-glucose-meters/cera-check-1070. What do you think? Does anyone

Hi! I think a lot of folks use Precision Xtra and my advice is just to stay away from TrueMetrix. I got it as a replacement for another meter from the same company. The old one was terrific - readings that made sense and matched my dr. visit blood test exactly when I compared the two (within 5’ of each other) - but the True Metrix varies wildly and at least for me reads about 20 points higher than real.
Since this is an old thread, if you don’t get many responses you might want to start a new one introducing yourself and asking the same question.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #63

I bought a blood glucose meter a couple weeks ago just to experiment with. I want to see what foods cause glucose responses now that I’m well keto adapted.

Anyways, I walked in to my local pharmacy and asked. I found out that most meters are free if you buy the test strips with them (for a certain quantity of strips). They’ve adopted the shaving razor sales model, so I asked for the cheapest and got a GE200 (made by GE), 100 strips and 100 lancettes for a smidge over $50 (Canadian).

(Christian Lillebø ) #64

Hi

Just got my first meter. Quick question. I want to check out several foods and how this affect my blood sugar. I read the guide linked above, but I’m not sure if I understand the purpose of the T30 test. Whenever you eat the blood sugar will rise right?

I had a basic keto meal.
T0 86
T30 104
T60 79 ( this is so close to T0 so I don’t count this as a blood sugar drop)

Does this mean that I had no rise in blood sugar eating this meal? I have done some research and on other “guides” they are saying you should test 1-2 hours after eating??

(Chris) #65

As a none diabetic do you ever do any fasting? What do you find your blood sugar fluctuates between. On a couple of 3 day fasts I have been as low 3.3mmol/l on the 3rd day of a fast. I have wondered if this is too low and how I should manage it