Bloated/ dreaded constipation

(Scarlett Isabella) #1

I eat a lot of salt, take electrolytes, take probably too much magnesium to try to flush my system to no avail, drink plenty of water, intermittant fast, exercise daily.I was fine at first on diet but several weeks in now having issues,it’s been 4 days since I’ve had a good bm. Double dose coffee on empty stomach not working either. Should I up veggies? Help lol my partner is not doing so great either on this front! Is there something obvious I’m not doing right/missing?

“Help lol my partner is not doing so great either on this front! Is there something obvious I’m not doing right/missing?”
If you continue to have unhappy results, try Zero Carb., Drastic as this may sound, I have no doubt that many other far more experienced Keto people than myself will give you some great advice, try there’s first, but if all this fails,. remember zero carb.
It worked for me. Please all members, I am not trying to say either Zero or Keto Carb is best. Just my opinion. And I do acknowledge this is a Ketogenic Forum. Just trying to be helpful.
See this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

There are a number of studies showing that fiber is not necessarily good or helpful. On a high-carb diet, I wouldn’t be surprised if fiber helped, but I’ve been keto for well over a year and my digestion has never been this well-sorted—I won’t say “regular,” because some days I don’t need to move my bowel at all, and other days it moves several times. The only fiber I am getting is from under 20 g worth of broccoli, cauliflower, or salad.

If you are no longer moving your bowel every day, that is perfectly normal, as long as you don’t need to strain when your bowel finally does move. I also find that although nature doesn’t necessarily call as often as she used to, when she does call these days, she’s pretty insistent, lol!

Being female can complicate the issue of constipation somewhat. I find at certain points in my cycle (midway & at the end) things aren’t always so easy so that’s the point where I up my magnesium to 2 400mg pills per day (1 x am/1 x pm) & pay closer attention to getting enough fat & salt. If your hormones have gone a bit doolally, as they are often wont to do in the first couple of months, that could be your issue.

(Scarlett Isabella) #5

Interesting that could be it does seem a bit correlated suddenly

I’m middle aged & as such find my hormones can vary greatly from month to month but at the first sign of trouble I’ll add a good pinch of salt & a couple of teaspoons of high mct liquid coconut oil to my coffee (which I usually just have with a teaspoon of cream). That plus the extra magnesium for just a couple of days does the trick. Might be worth limiting cheese until things calm down a bit too - a lot of people find that helps.

(karen) #7

I make myself a drink of about a pint of ice water with salts added, about half a cup of veggie juice for flavor (about 4 carbs), and a tablespoon of psyllium husk.

The results are … mixed. I do “go” more or less every day, but my abdomen also feels a bit full almost all the time. I’m not sure a daily :poop: is at all necessary, but whether it’s my imagination or not, I start to feel really, um … crappy after a few poo-free days.

(Ron) #8

https://www.perfectketo.com/why-ketones-cause-stomach-pain/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

A somewhat decent article, but shows evidence of some misunderstandings. I was not impressed.

Firstly, exogenous ketones do nothing to hasten fat-adaptation. It is the lack of insulin and the unavailability of dietary carbohydrate that forces the adaptation. All exogenous ketones do is to expensively raise the reading on your blood ketone meter.

Secondly, ketone bodies do not cause water and sodium to be excreted. What really happens is that excessive carbohydrate intake forces the kidneys to retain sodium and water, and lowering your carbohydrate to ketotic levels permits the kidneys to return to their normal, higher rate. The presence or absence of ketones in the blood is irrelevant; the effect is produced by the presence or absence of insulin in the kidneys. For this reason, the author is correct about the need for higher sodium intake on a ketogenic diet, and the advice to drink to thirst.

In sum, it is not being in ketosis that causes the stomach pain, it is the dehydration and low sodium level consequent to the reduction in carbohydrate intake, with its effect on the blood glucose level, and hence the blood insulin level.