Binged on bacon and cheese last night

(Bob M) #21

I can easily overeat bacon. I have a harder time eating something that is higher protein, say pork chops or ham. Even harder if it’s really nutrient dense, like liver. It’s basically impossible for me to eat too much liver.

(Windmill Tilter) #22

Binge eating is a real thing. Whether you’re binge eating pizza or bacon, it’s not good…

However, given that you’re only a week into keto, and if you don’t have a prior history of binge eating disorder, you probably shouldn’t worry too much. You’re body is just trying to find an equilibrium. No big deal.

The best way to do keto is to eat to satiety. If you try to intentionally limit calories, your metabolism will slow down, and your body will use it’s 1 billion years of training to prevent you from losing fat, or to regain it. If you eat to satiety, your body will start to trust you and the excess fat will start to drop slowly but surely.

Also, exercise can scramble satiety signals. If exercise is important to you, you might want to track calories for a little while to determine whether or not exercise impairs your ability to lose weight like it does for many people. If so, you’ll need to choose between exercise and weight loss (temporarily).

That’s my two cents.

Yup, get over it. You over ate on the RIGHT foods, go a little light the next day and call it a wash. We’re not robots and in the real world shit happens. Once your way of eating becomes a “diet” it’ll all go down the crapper for you.

You and bacon is very odd to me as I am very different but I saw very numerous shocking behaviors, it’s very interesting to collect these cases in my memory (I have my own strange things too). Yes, such things happen. It’s important to know ourselves and avoid our danger foods or face the consequences. To me, eating fatty protein is enough to avoid overeating, it’s so simple! Eating fat doesn’t help but if I drastically lower my carbs (so plants have a very hard time to find their way into my life in significant amounts), I can’t eat too much fat either (at least it seems so). I always needed plants to raise my fat intake and ruin my chances at fat-loss.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

How do you know you shouldn’t have eaten the bacon and cheese? This is a serious question. If you are eating the right types of food—that is, foods that stimulate very little insulin response—the quantity you eat is not nearly as relevant as the standard eat-less-move-more dietary advice would have us believe. In a low-carbohydrate diet, the body is free to ramp up its metabolic response to compensate for extra food, just as it goes into famine mode and lowers the metabolic rate when we put ourselves on short rations.

For myself, I find that if I continue eating once I stop being hungry, my metabolism speeds up, and I spend the night perspiring to dissipate the waste heat. Since I find sweat-soaked pillows and bed-linens to be extremely uncomfortable, this is a good motivation for me to eat to satiety and then stop.

The whole eating to satiety aspect of keto is very interesting, because some days I find myself eating a lot of food, whereas others I want very little. Once my insulin dropped long enough for my satiety hormones to reassert themselves, I experienced for the first time what it is like to have plenty of room left in my stomach and just not want more food. Weird! As a carb-burner, I was the type of eater who would eat pasta till my stomach was literally on the verge of rupturing and still be ravenous for more.

(Marianne) #26

I agree completely.

I am so disgusted by a lifetime of conventional dieting and all the associated heartache and pitfalls, that with keto, I want to reject anything that even remotely smacks of it (guilt, shame, hunger, craving, counting, weighing, obsessing, etc.). Now, if I am hungry and it doesn’t go away, I eat some delicious keto food - bacon, pepperoni, hard boiled egg, olives, etc.

It doesn’t help if someone wants to lose fat… And it’s individual anyway, this metabolism quickening easily happens on high-carb too (unusual but not very rare genetics as far as I know) and some people do gain fat on keto, it’s quite logical there’s a limit.
But normally we shouldn’t worry about a higher calorie day, those are fine and sometimes even needed.