Beating a Glucose Tolerance Test?

(Cat Hi) #21

What were you diagnosed with? Also what is the reference range for the insulin? I could only wish for a 3 insulin, even when on metformins and I have not been diagnosed with any issues YET. What is a MODY?

(paddy0761) #22

Sounds like ā€œdawn phenomenonā€. Very common on Keto. Itā€™s part of the glucose sparing process. Not much you can do about it apart from going for some early morning sprints and fasting between 7pm and midday. As long as the HbA1c is trending down, I wouldnā€™t worry about it unless FBG gets over 6.5.
Cutting dairy usually helps as well.

MODY is a rarer form if diabetes, only about maybe 2-5% of diagnosed diabetics will be MODY. I believe roughly 80% are type 2 and 10/15 % type 1?? I maybe incorrect in my numbers. It stands for Maturity onset diabetes of the young. It is passed on through a genetic mutation from a parent. I believe my dad. I also believe I passed it to my 10 year old daughteršŸ˜ž I have yet to find an endocrinologist who knows how to help me. So I am learning on my own and helping myself get healthy. I will one day probably relate closely to a type 1, as my pancreas stops working correctly. I hope to hold that off as long as possible.

(karinandglen) #24

@richard= I apologize if Iā€™m asking this in the wrong placeā€¦Iā€™m still navigating here! I had to go on insulin about 2 years ago because my kidneys were failing so I had to stop all pill form medications. I started Keto in April of 2016 and my last A1c was 5.8. I have been unable to wean myself totally off of insulin. Itā€™s crazy! My kidneyā€™s have improved enough with my diet that my kidney doc recommends I stop insulin, all together and go back on a pill form, she would even clear me for taking metformin again, and she is the doc who took me off of it because of my kidneys. She feels like stopping insulin would help my weight loss further which would continue to help everything else. What are your thoughts on this? I canā€™t find any research. Also, when you started back on metformin most recently, did it make you sick for a few days? I had a terrible time when I first started it. She wonā€™t prescribe for me, she is making me go back to my endocrinologist who is not as keto savvy nor friendly so i want to be as prepared as possible! Thanks for your thoughts!

(Richard Morris) #25

So you are only just in the pre-diabetic range. With metformin you could probably get into a non-diabetic range. Every 1 point lower is like 21% lower chance of diabetic complications ā€¦ so it is worth trying to get to the lowest you can safely and stay there for as long as you can.

http://www.bmj.com/content/321/7258/405

I agree with her. Better than your pancreas take up its proper role (if it can) of making what you need as you need it. IMO Injected insulin can not achieve the dose gradient of pancreatic release where the amount of insulin at the pancreas is significantly higher than at the portal vein, which is higher again than at the periphery. Insulin injected into faty will always have the dose gradient the other way round (Higher in the periphery).

I didnā€™t notice anything, but I am on a very low dose (500mg daily) and have a notoriously iron clad stomach - so Iā€™m not a good model for metformin side effects.

Keto is very confronting for endocrinologists. But ultimately if they grasp the nettle and embrace the ketogenic approach they may one day become wealthier than cardiologists (and stopping more heart attacks).

(karinandglen) #26

@richard; thank you so much for your guidance! I feel better armed for the upcoming discussion!

Hi Frezzash,

I had your post bookmarked because I was concerned I may be in a situation like you. If Iā€™m looking at this post correctly; it has been a little over a year since youā€™ve been here. I was hoping you would share any further information about your situation.

Were you diagnosed with MODY?

Have you had any further labwork done which could be used to check a HOMA-B and see if your pancreatic B-cell mass is steady or decreasing?

Hope you have been doing well in the interim!!

Thanks.

Hi V1ncentt!

During the past year I have yet to have any further actual diagnosis but still believe I am a MODY of some sort. The only testing I receive regularly are: (latest test result)
Fasting insulin: 3
Fasting glucose: 90-125 (I test tthis one at home daily myself)
C-peptide: .9
A1C: 5.5
Cholesterol triglycerides: 55, HDL 72, LDL 102. I did have an NMR last time and found those results helpful.
I eat a very strict Keto diet, I have for the last 2 Years. I find my fasting numbers set the range for my day. I rarely ever find my glucose more than 20 points different from my fasting number throughout the day. I am just struggling with my fasting. I have not found any pattern to why it is high. I blame it on a pancreas that is trying itā€™s best but struggling.

I donā€™t think Iā€™m type 1 or even LADA due to still producing insulin, not having antibodies, and being diabetic now for years. I doubt any honeymoon period lasts over 10 Years!

I donā€™t think Iā€™m type 2 due to not being insulin resistant, low insulin levels, healthy body weight, and no signs of metabolic syndrome.

I definitely have glucose reading as high as 250-300 if I eat a standard American diet so I definitely have some sort of diabetes. Just canā€™t afford the testing. So Iā€™ll keep eating like I do and hopefully live a long healthy life!
I do not believe I have had the tests you mentioned.

Hope that answered your question, if not let me know Iā€™ll try again :grinning:.

Hi Frezzash,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear youā€™re doing well!!:grinning:

Your numbers (looks like to me) are very good KETO numbers- congrats!:+1:

I came into KETO in August 2017, trying to reverse Pre-Diabetes. So I am newer to this than you; and based on your description- perhaps I am picking up on it sooner than you did.

Iā€™m not sure I am in the same camp as you are; but based on your description and labs- I feel like I am. Like you my Insulin levels and IR are pretty low (2.3 and 0.6) (after 2 months of keto). My B-Cell function according to HOMA- B calculation was 19.2% (which I feel like is pretty low at age 47).

I asked my Doctor about MODY and Type 1.5- she didnā€™t think I had it. I got the antibody tests for those on my own and they were negative.

I feel so much better on KETO and have just resolved to continue this way.

I calculated a HOMA- B off the numbers you listed above:

Using an Insulin of 3 and say a FBS of 111

Your B-cell mass would be 22.5%

Which would be double what it was when @richard calculated it in December of 2016.

If I'm looking at that right.

That got me thinking, because I have been planning to trend my HOMA-B. I was wondering if perhaps @richard had any insight as to if there are many more people out there like you and what is going on here. Also, if HOMA- B trending is useful- can there be variation like yours or perhaps improvement like yours.

Thanks again! :grinning:

(Richard Morris) #30

I suspect the longer he keep chronic glucose levels low, the more he grows beta cells faster than he is killing them ā€¦ so an increase in beta function.

Thatā€™s encouraging!!

Thanks!