BBC's Zarla Gorvett: Common Negative Impacts on Vegan Brain/Intelligence

food
veganism
nutrient-deficiences
gandhi
supplementation

This new article is making a splash in the headlines with its catchy and unignorable title . :laughing:

It’s a great deep-dive on the nutritional deficiencies common in the vegan diet, and the fact that insufficient supplementation [and/or absorption I’d add] of amino acids, as well as other key nutrients, is very common.

Ms. Gorvett deftly covers astute angles - and somehow a full color pic of a tasty egg & bacon burger is perfectly plonked in the middle of it for emphasis. She even raises the point that Gandhi’s health suffered by abstaining from milk and being a vegan for awhile - and returned to gratefully eating milk and ghee etc. That’s a powerful lesson for the more spiritual types of vegans, most of whom greatly love Gandhi - and possibly a good conversation starter.

The tricky thing is that part of the nutrient deficit brain state means that even though this article is great, one’s vegan loved ones brains’ aren’t very keen on deep dives into the nutritional science or facts of it, and it’s really a tragic communication gap.

The ideology/religion is the best thing some of my dear vegan friends have found ,for responding to the destructiveness of industrial culture in a way that they think reduces harm -without acknowledging that big agriculture is its own killing machine.

In an impure world with uncertain outcomes and a coming global food crisis, protecting one’s brain nourishment and the brain nourishment of children everywhere is a wiser dietary approach.

Maybe this article will at least compel more focus on the seriousness of the supplementation issue, and the highly processed nature of the typical vegan’s needed supplements.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

(Bunny) #3

Strange how if a human being does not get enough protein, be it from animals or plants they become extremely submissive, passive and more susceptible to suggestion (i.e. brain washed) male or female. I think there is a medical term for it other than malnutrition?

That’s when you end up with a shaved head and flowing monks robe, dangling beads selling individual flowers at a Los Angeles Airport for your incarnated guru.

(Troy) #4

I’ll be at LAX Terminal #5 this weekend :flushed:

Love to chat
Haha🤣

However, the official ISKON/Hare Krishna folks aren’t vegans, they’re lacto-vegetarian and eat ghee, milk, and cheese along with heavenly sweet spices!

They have a special place in my heart because wherever their centers are all over the world, they provide a free community dinner one night a week (which is the best meal of the week for some starving/itinerant young students or artists - including me in the late 1980s).

…They may be prosletyzing converted ecstatics/loonybirds, but their food sure is tastier than the church food I had growing up!!!

My favourite restaurant in the place we used to live was Govindas. We took my mum there and my mum’s cousin and they were terrified and horrified at the same time. It was a golden family moment. The restaurant is Hare Krishna vegetarian. Suited my yogini wife but was interesting for me as a ketogenic eater who likes to eat meat with bones in it. Certainly got my dose of green leafy vegetables and some lower carb whole food tubers. The religion was apparent but not pushed and the staff looked so healthy and were unwaveringly happy and smiley. Nice memories. These days I wonder about the oils they use for the cooking.

“Hello there (smiles) I was wondering if you have heard about the atomic space bunny? Here have a flower and a pamphlet.”

Shaved head, clean brain, passivity, dangly beads, outward serenity, it is all quite tempting.

I often tell my vegan friend Zade (he needs things repeated) that one day, when I’m metabolically healthy enough and fully charged up on all the required nutrient reserves, I’d like to attempt becoming a vegan.

(Bunny) #7

Was not trying to poke fun at the Hare Krishnas was just referring to cults that know how to do that brain washing thing by not feeding anyone protein then load them into a van to sell flowers they grow to keep the cult funded.

I study Hinduism or any religion in the world for that matter, that is one of my hobby’s. I have read the entire Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam, Bhagavad Gita (Arjuna and Krishna) Books of Rama and Gilgamesh, and Books by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky.

Yes, I understood it as that!

It’s definitely a mixed-bag sorta thing with Euro-American devotees/converts to religions/groups in general. IMHO, there are some vulnerable ones that end up spending years in a trance and being let down by their external gurus because the internal guru never got restored in the first place. :cry:

I love those studies too - since ever I took my first comparative religion course in the 80s…! Also really enjoy the vintage Peter Brooks’ theatrical-film version of the Mahabharata - a very young Tabu plays Draupadi/Panchaali. And currently am reading Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni’s female-centered version of Sita & Rama - called The Forest Of Enchantments, it’s wonderful. :heart_eyes:

(Bunny) #9

The unusual thing about the entire Mahabharata is that it was written by a giant human (Gilgamesh) probably 12 feet tall in stature or more. Gilgamesh survived the deluge by hiding in caves.

He makes a lion look like a play toy.

Simply being in presence of this type of hybrid human can wreck havoc on a smaller humans nervous system and brain because of the spiritual energy they generate.

:star_struck: :heart_eyes: Yes, indeed!

…And Gilgamesh (along with the vedic rishis, round half of whom were female) sure wasn’t vegan if they had their druthers! Apparently the collection of beloved cow milk and the making ghee goes back many thousands of years into the oral traditions before the written vedas, etc.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

Gilgamesh, both the historical king and the mythical protagonist of the Epic, was Akkadian/Sumerian. That’s Mesopotamia, not India. Possible influence on Iliad and Odyssey.

Nothing to do with the Bhagavad Gita and Mahabharata.

(Bunny) #12

Before and after the deluge; old and new world, really confuses the archeologists and scholars alike…lol

(Bunny) #13

In the books of the Mahabharata they (Gilgamesh) talk about the spiritual plain as outer space and planets or spiritually illuminated planets with no suns or solar orbit, that is so odd?

Cosmology and Cosmogony:

That makes me think that when we peer into outer space with telescopes that we are not seeing everything that’s really their? When something is spiritual it is more solid than any physical type of mass as we know it, contains no atoms or molecules. If you were to collect all the atoms and deleted the space between them, the entire earth and everything on it would fit into the size of a sugar cube, that’s how much space occupies the distance between atoms. Some “spiritually illuminated planets” are referred to as isolated hells as you can see below from Srimad Bhagavatam?

Kumbhīpāka Hell - Punishment for cruel persons who cook poor animals and birds alive

Notice they state “alive?”