Article claiming long term study suggests low carb high fat diets take years of life

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

As I’ve posted in the four six other threads about this study, one of the authors, Walter Willet, works with Seidelmann at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. When he was working for Frederick Stare at the Harvard University School of Public Health, he and Stare co-wrote reports demonizing meat and saturated fat, in a campaign orchestrated and paid for by the sugar industry, to take the heat off sugar (this was all reported in a recent book by a professor at the University of California at San Francisco, who discovered a cache of sugar-industry memos that had been donated to a library collection).

It was on the basis of a report ghost-written by the sugar industry and signed by Willett and Stare, that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration came to consider sugar as “Generally Recognized as Safe.” (Meaning that the sugar industry never had to do any studies to prove that sugar has no harmful effects when added to food.)

Can’t wait for Zoe Harcombe’s analysis of this rubbish! :sunny:

(Splotchy) #23

Here’s Ken Berry’s analysis: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce6eHcUOc4s&feature=youtu.be

He’s a medic who’s featured on the dude podcast and in the clip above he shows us the science. And rants just a bit! (and rightly so)

I was just about to post that very link.:wink:

(karen) #25

That there sez it all. :roll_eyes:

(Tony Phillips) #26

I have not read all of the comments on the OP, so forgive me if a similar reply has already been published. I just finished reading the “study” which by the authors own admissions, “represents observational data and is not a clinical trial”. I have no problem with the study in general. However, it must be noted that what the study reveals is already known among many of us on a ketogenic diet. That is, if you consume a high fat, high protein diet apart of a nutritional state of ketosis you may be doing more harm that good. Even if you are “cutting” carbs you may not be doing yourself any favors. If you are not a fat burner, you are a fat storer. That just is not going to be a good thing.

All of us know people who seem to defy the metabolic “derangement” that most of here suffer from. They seem to eat whatever they choose and live long and healthy lives. Well, this study is really a study of those individuals compared to us, the metabolically deranged. Ugh, yes those genetic freaks will live longer! I could have told you that! You see, they removed the data from this study from anyone who developed metabolic syndrome. So basically you have those who eat low carb and those who eat whatever, oh and a few who basically eat nothing but carbs. Also, you have to wonder if sampling the population of such a study just a couple of times in yes…25 years! is sufficient. But if it is, so what, again we already know there are people who can eat whatever they want, get no diabetes, no hypertension and have good cholesterol levels. For those of us on Keto, most of our concern is metabolic disorder. For me it was pre-diabetes, pre-hypertension and yes pre-high cholesterol. All of which we headed sharply in the wrong direction. Keto has reversed all of that. So yes, my wife who looks half her age, has perfect health markers will live longer than I will (4.1 years according to this study). At least she won’t have to watch me give myself insulin, or watch me eat myself into a early death. Yeah, I’ll drop dead someday. Apparently sooner than she will. But for now, we are living life more abundantly than ever.

(Brian) #27

Loved the video!! Thanks for sharing. Can’t get any fresher, either, Ken just posted it today.

(Splotchy) #28

Zoe Harcombe is mentioned above - and here she is: http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/08/low-moderate-or-high-carbohydrate/

I think we’re pretty much at the point where it’s clear this study is a crock. But why-oh-why are the media and journalists/science editors not casting a scrutinising eye over it before blithely re-publishing? It doesn’t take much to pull it apart and a responsible media would have made the effort to evaluate before publishing.

(karen) #29

This is a small chunk of The Magic Pill, for me it sums up the scope of what we’re really up against. This will never be an easy fight and the information provided in main stream media will never be remotely ethical and unbiased until we hit a tipping point where “everybody knows”. It took 60+ years for climate change, 60+ years for cigarettes, and now we have basically the same companies controlling the main stream spin on food, which is a lot closer to heart for a lot more people.

Kate Shanahan: "We tend to over-consume carbohydrate in this country because it’s addicting, but also because we produce it in ridiculous amounts. If you fly from New York to L.A., the majority of what you’re flying over-- all those little circles and squares on the ground-- that’s America pumping out carbohydrate as fast as it can. That’s the 30,000 foot view, that’s what’s happening, and that’s reflected in our grocery stores.

Nora Gedgaudas: There isn’t a single multinational corporation on planet Earth that wouldn’t stand to profit from every man, woman, and child consuming a carbohydrate-based diet.

(Jane) #30

Not to mention the obscene profits the drug companies make and all the money made from people being sick for years and dying a slow death… the whole while others are profiting from their illnesses.

@Brenda (to get these threads merged)

Sorry- might have done this one twice?

(ianrobo) #32

Well Zoe hits this out of the park and Jimmy M very good on LLVC

Goodness, I just looked at the Food Frequency Questionnaire from Harvard that Dr. Harcombe links to in her rebuttal, and stumbled on this gem of a detail. Look at the text I highlighted in yellow. Now, really, the people who filled out this asinine form deserve a medal. And I can’t believe any legitimate scientist thinks this is an acceptable way to gather data.

(ianrobo) #34

And that’s why these are almost useless and worthless but thatvwas not the point of this ‘study’

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

Thank goodness they only had to do it twice in 25 years! :rofl:

That’s right, and that’s why I don’t trust doctors (they having a vested interest in keeping people sick so they can provide more care), lawyers (they have a vested interest in keeping me in legal trouble so they can bill mme for more hours), builders (they have a vested interest in keeping me needing a new house so they can build more of them), the police (they have a vested interest in keeping crime around so they can be paid to deal with it), grocery stores (they have a vested interest in keeping me hungary so they can sell me more food), Google (they have a vested interest in keeping me searching so they can sell more ads), firefighters (they have a vested interest in creating fires so they have job security and get paid to put them out)…

I really grow weary of the “evil big pharma” conspiracy theories. Like it’s a cabal of Mr. Burns type figures sitting around a smoky boardroom hissing, “We must fight these ketonians and discredit their movement!”

(Taleisha Collins) #37

I was in no way trying to imply that there is some “grand conspiracy” - except perhaps a conspiracy of greed, which causes people to sacrifice their morals in a way that might not otherwise be willing to do.

My point was really that FOOD is medicine - we can totally heal our bodies with food, and without the need of some chemical concoctions dreamed up in the Lilly lab.

Most doctors aren’t evil, they are just lazy and burned out. As stated by Dr. Ken Berry in one of his very informative videos, there is so much work that goes into being a PCP, and no one decided to be a doctor just to make money, most started with a desire uto HELP people. One little know thing is that a doctor gets paid by insurance based on the “level” of care… prescribing pills is a level 4 or 5, which pays more than a level 3. BUT, it is not the prescription that matters, it is the fact that the doctor has made a medical decision… hence, if the doctor notes that he/she made a “medical decision” to NOT prescribe a prescription, that is the same level as prescribing it. So, it’s not a conspiracy, it’s just lack of information.

Sorry if you took my tongue in cheek comment as a pure negative – I can be a bit of a smart arse at times :wink:

(Consensus is Politics) #38

How did I miss this thread 20 some days ago!?!

Oh My Newcweear Astwo Wabbit! So innocent and naive. You should know how modern science works now. Forget what the data really shows, and come up with a consensus. Don’t forget to trim the data down because too much data will confuse everyone (which is true, because every one will see the truth and begin to question the findings). 97% of scientists… er… doctors agree that a low fat high carb diet is not just good for you, but extremely beneficial. (Beneficial to them, to keep you ill, making you a constant stream of cash flow.)

(Bunny) #39

Always treat the symptoms not the cause

image imageimage

(Consensus is Politics) #40

Lmao… love it

Search for the “carbohydrate consortium”

I kid you not. There really is a cabal.