APOE4 hyper-responder. LDL off the charts. What to do?

(Robin) #41

That’s what I got from his video you shared, and since it would be good news for me, I am gonna run with that theory!

Hi mugwump, I don’t know if I’m in the same boat, as I don’t know my current cholesterol levels (haven’t checked them since Oct 2022 - back then they were within normal range) and don’t know whether I could be a hyper responder or not. But my mom recently made me aware her cholesterol levels are higher than normal, her Serum cholesterol being 5.0 mmol/L, and she told me her mother were on medication for high cholesterol. Now she fears if her cholesterol doesn’t come down, she’ll be requiring heart surgery in the future, so she’s quite stressed, due to her doctors also having discovered calcification of an artery in her heart recently. Admittedly she’s less concerned about that than her higher than normal cholesterol.

So, to try and alleviate my mom’s concerns I’ve been, for the last few days, pouring over articles, studies, both on english sites and norwegian, Dave Feldman’s and Siobhan Huggins’ the cholesterol code, Dr. Nadolsky’s guestpost mirroring a lot of other articles I’d read, and it would be most tempting to just go with Dave Feldman’s (perhaps overly simplified) cautiously optimistic views and Siobhan Huggins’ views which mirror Dave’s, but 1) They are both avid advocates for the HF/LC WOE and not doctors, and 2) There is much opposing data to their optimistic views.

So in light of all this, of what I’ve read, and in light of what my mom has told me, I am doing a bit of a U-turn, from carnivore to how my ketogenic WOE was when I started. So … Replacing half the saturated fats (and more if needed) with polyunsaturated fats and foods rich in DHA. So green vegetables, and other keto friendly vegetables, berries, fruits (avocado, bell peppers, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, etc) nuts and seeds. This is basically how I was eating when I first started keto, before I fell in love with the simplicity of carnivore, and became addicted to whipped cream. I will be cutting down on the latter, whilst still having some in my morning coffee, as I’ve been consuming about 340-350ml cream daily.

Weight issues were never my troubles, as I was slim on my HC/LF WOE, and slim now on HF/LC WOE, so that matters not to me, but I have experienced streamlining, or a better word for it is body recomposition, so that is an added incentive for me, as well as the clear reduction in inflammation. So, like you, I would really like to continue my WOE long term, for my health.

I am sorry you attempted to adjust your WOE and this didn’t work, but could you share a bit more information about how you adjusted your WOE? On the cholesterol code you can read Dr. Nadolsky’s guest post which might be helpful to you. Sorry I can’t post the link now as I’m only on my phone.

(Bob M) #43

That’s a good take, I think. I’m just wondering that if you have atherosclerosis whether that provides a point at which a coagulation/clot could cause more of an issue than, say, in an area where there’s no atherosclerosis?

I’m fairly convinced that LDL is not that big of an operator in all of this. At least not nearly as big to fear it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

I should think so, absolutely!

(Bob M) #45

It just has me wondering if there are two mechanisms going on in parallel: atherosclerosis; and coagulation/clotting. Even someone like myself, with low atherosclerosis as indicated by CAC scan, isn’t free because of clotting (which also concerns me about my high Lp(a), which might cause clotting). And everyone looks at atherosclerosis, but no one is looking at clotting. (Though, along with Paul Mason, I remember Dr. Kendrick discussing someone looking into this, a long time ago.)