Anything sweet is probably bad

(Melissa Marie) #21

If this were true. I agree. N=1

(Melissa Marie) #22

Did god/nature also provide carbs so that you could taste them? If so, then why even do keto. :joy:
There are also things that are very poisonous that the layperson can not detect simply by taste alone… There are many synthetic things that we consume now that animals in nature won’t even touch given the option of something unadulterated.

If you are consistently choosing to eat something that is actually in fact derailing the purpose and function of your diet then why continue with that WOE or the diet. Continuing both with the hopes of success would be futile.

I am not suggesting you commit 100% to not eating anything that MIGHT cause a problem without knowing that it does or don’t do it at all. I am saying that if you know sucralose causes a insulin response for YOU, but stevia doesn’t - but you can’t live without sucralose - why would you continue the diet with sucralose. There are tons of options for having something sweet that may or may not impact your diet. Those things are for you to figure out. Just know that this diet can only be as efficient as the components that ensure optimization for the individual.

If you NEED something sweet to ensure you can continue with the diet, pick something that isn’t going to derail the diet for you personally. Do your research and find out what works for you.

My original intent is not to wean off the sweet taste/craving.

My original intent is to burn the fat. So please understand that I don’t see the (direct) relation between them.

Of course, I know that with carb in the body, the body will choose to use carb first. But, if the sweetener is without the carb, why will it be a problem? As in, the body cannot get carb from the sweetener, so there is no carb to use. So, the body is still forced to use fat as energy.

(Rob) #24

I see your degrees in biochemistry and physiology came in the mail. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Lucky the body is that simple.

Read more, see why… (a few key words, insulinogenic, cephalic, psychological)

… thanks, but actually I don’t have degree in that also. (Totally acting ignorant to your sarcasm)

(Maybe because I don’t feel that there is a need to go all the way since I don’t have any significant health problem yet, I am still hoping to get the benefit of both sides.)

(Melissa Marie) #26

Because of the cephalic response to the stimulus whether it be eating something or just thinking about it.

It is not the thing it’s self that is causing the problem it is how your body/mind is reacting to it. The issue isn’t carbs vs no carbs. The response is similar to the placebo effect where your mind reacts to something that isn’t really there causing the same reactionary process in the body that a carbohydrate would.

And in the simple way to say, that causes the cell to store fat instead of using the fat? Am I understanding it correct?

(Melissa Marie) #28

Yes and no. It is dependent on the degree that you as an individual are affected by it. You might store fat or you may not store fat, you also might not utilize fat efficiently and stall. It isn’t black and white at all. It is a variable because of the individual response.

(Jeannie Oliver) #29

Oh, dear. And me living near a bakery!

(Melissa Marie) #30

I read an article that during fasting this can be even more problematic because you are already to the point where you want to eat and anything sounds good. It may not affect you at all though… I imagine that if you feel drawn to it and crave it, it might. But that still isn’t a guarantee. I don’t find my self getting worked up over food as I used to (during IF if I wait to long I know it happens) which I would interpret as a sign that the response would be less or non existent. So it depends on you… :wink:

(Dan Dan) #31

Full disclosure I received my degree from the internet same as my ordination (less than 5 mins) so I am fully qualified to lecture and preach to everyone on their diet sins :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent:

Since science has shown that sight, sound, touch, hearing, smell, taste, and thought will elicit a insulin response … we are doomed …it’s the end times…repent your evil gastronomic ways I tell you repent…:fearful::cold_sweat::sob::scream:

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #32

If you’re all dropping fat and improving your health while eating sweeteners, great.

I, however, plateaued after 10 weeks of keto for 9 months, then dropped about 3 more kilos after profoundly restricting my diet, then plateaued again for 9 months, and now I’ve put on 4 kilos. Bear in mind that my diet has remained largely the same throughout.

So I’m wracking my brains to figure out what is wrong here. I completely cut out all dairy except a tiny bit of cheese. The only thing remaining is sweeteners and even then I don’t really believe that’s what’s stopping me from burning fat. Ultimately I think the body adapts, even to low carb, and my body stubbornly does not want to give up the last 10kg of fat. Plateauing was one thing, but me gaining fat on keto has been quite another.

My body doesn’t care about fasting; I’ve fasted day on, day off, repeatedly. No fat loss at all.

This thread is not for people who are perfectly happy on low carb diets. It’s for people like me who have been on low carb for a long time and for whom it isn’t quite working.

(Dan Dan) #33

And If it was so titled and kept to those thoughts rather than ’ Anything sweet is probably bad ’ there would be a different response at least from me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #34

I maintain that the thread’s title is accurate for everyone! How much “bad” you can tolerate is up to the individual, their biomarkers, and their level of satisfaction with fat loss.

(Brian) #35

I would maintain that it’s overly simplistic.

While I agree that lots of things sweet are bad, I think it’s a bit of a reach to say that all sweet things are bad all of the time forever and for everyone, which is kinda the way it comes across.

I’m not convinced that a few fresh blueberries are evil just because they’re sweet. Overconsuming them could be a problem… as could protein, as could other good things.

Just sayin’…