Anyone near their ideal weight?

(KetoCowboy) #21

I set an ideal girth of 36" (half my height) when I started keto. Even though I met that goal months ago, I clearly have some flab left on my belly (especially the sides). I don’t really know if I’ll ever shed that flab. I eat one keto meal per day and exercise at least 12 minutes a day. I’m satisfied with where I am and uninterested in making major adjustments to tackle the last bit of flab around my middle. I guess I just hope that if I keep doing what I’m doing, my insulin levels will sink low enough for those fat stores to be metabolized, but I’m not taking extraordinary measures to bring that about.

(Michelle) #22

Hi - congrats on your progress. I am close to my goal weight, and just not budging. I feel like maybe I’m chasing a unicorn body and I’ll always just have a mule body. But, hey, I’m healthier and happier, so I’m focusing on that instead of the last 5 lbs and where the scale is. Still nags at me seeing the scale sit where it was, so I’m still slowly working on it.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #23

I guess that Fat Mass Index and Lean Body Mass index are more useful numbers, and for those one needs a DEXA scan.

(Mary 🌹 ) #24

I just did mine…with smartbmicalulator.
It poo-pooed (low-carb). So I did (low-fat).
It raved!! %#!@%#!@

I will continue Keto. …regardless!

(KCKO, KCFO) #25

I liked that calculator, thanks for the share, Marybeth.

(Ross) #26

I am 5’10" 157# BMI 22.5
Started out at ~190 # January of 2015.
Most of that extra weight dropped of within the first 6 months or so.

Now just leaning out a little bit more doing some IF here and there since my set weight is just a little higher than I would otherwise like. Getting a little bit of abdominal definition finally. Guessing my ultimate goal weight (or equivalent body fat amount) would be around 152# to 155#.

(Mary 🌹 ) #27

I use it every time I lose…but I disregard their printed out explanation. It favors "low fat":weary:
I will continue Keto and intermittent fasting…regardless.

(Adam Kirby) #28

I would guess I’m 10 pounds or less from my ideal body fat which would be around 10%. I don’t care much about scale weight since obviously that’ll change the more muscle I build. The scale is only useful to me in that it is steadily dropping.

(Mary 🌹 ) #29

Yes…I started out at about 190# in March 2015. At 124# now…I haven’t been sick AT ALL!:wink::grinning:

(Karen Parrott) #30

Yes. I’ve been in weight maintenance for 5.5 years. I’ve done quite a bit of n=1 expirmenting in maintenance. Maintenance is different than loss in many ways. Onward and I’d say record as much data as you can so that if you need to make adjustments, you’ll have a lot of data on hand to make decisions

One thing I learned early and maintenance is I have three modes. One mode is weight maintenance, the other mode is weight gain and the third mode is weight loss Even with and weight maintenance I still have those three modes and I have to work between the different modes frequently to keep a steady weight maintenance practice.

I am within my normal BMI, but as an adult I never maintained in the middle of my BMI until LCHF/Keto. I find I feel much better with in the middle of my BMI range rather than the top and I can maintain that there too !

My weight wants to come back, I won’t let it!!!

I started (this time) in the 270’s and I’m at 203 right now, goal is around 190 I think depending on how I look at that point. I’ve learned that set points are very real (wasn’t an obstacle last time I lost all this same weight 10 years ago) and that fasting helps me break through them, however for me it’s always a couple days later that the scale starts going down. I’ve also learned that sometimes eating more (still to satiety, but waiting for the stop signal) seems to make me loose easier, but not always, like my body changes its mind on what it likes every couple weeks or something. Other issue is being in the gym trying to gain muscle makes the scale even more useless and checking yourself with a caliper ain’t exactly easy.

(Deb) #32

I just shake my head when all the obese carb-eaters stand around there desks in their little clique-y group talking about what massively sugar/carb meal to make or order out, then move on to their latest medical disaster!
I just stand my lean keto a@@ up and strut by right in front of their noses!

(Clara Teixeira) #33

I am 5’5" and currently sitting at 130 lbs. According to BMI I should be 125. I have not tracked at all except for carbs and I eat when I’m hungry. I can go a day without eating if I absolutely have to but usually eat 3 meals a day. I find my body wants that fat and protein for energy. 40 lbs lost in 6 months!

(Karen Parrott) #34

@Ryan_Tuttle Something else occurred to me!! Choose your peer group very, very carefully. Take advice from other weight maintainers who are within your personal goals.

Example: I’m super short, post menopausal, prior morbid obesity and yo-yo dieting 40 years, post Hasimoto’s. I need to maintain in a normal BMI range for joint pain reduction and to get $60 off my health insurance discount. PLUS my weight wants to come back if I’m trying to maintain at a higher BMI. Easier for me to maintain within a certain BMI for sure. I’m at risk of relapse in Food Addiction, so abstaining weight maintainers, they are my peeps.

So I was able to find others like me on social media, forums, FB. I noticed when I took advice of my friends who had reached weight maintenance but could not maintain and they were fast regainers, that I also regained. If I take advice from large losers, who were also obese as a child, who worked to stay in normal range- that’s were I could build my own very accurate and precise and quality weight maintenance program for myself. I would find out what worked from them and customize it to me.

That being said, variation at goal weight is totally normal. Fast regain to me just means the root cause of obesity has not been discovered yet by that person and more work is needed. We don’t have the right tools for solid weight maintenance yet- like obesity medicine is endocrinology and hormone driven, yet I’ve been not been offered the right blood work to make data driven decisions in maintenance. So it’s no ones fault, we do need better resources.

Hope this makes sense. Take care. Weight Maintenance is a very long term project. Onward.

(Karen Parrott) #35

The more years in weight maintenance, the harder it is too see this.

(Ryan Tuttle) #36

All good points. Technically i dont have a sport group lol thats why i post here. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Thats also why i was asking this question. I feel like being a body builder and on keto vs being morbidly obese on keto vs wanting to lose 30lb on keto are all very different beasts.

I do keto for the mental health benefits. I would also like to achieve a lean body. Im probably roughly 10lb of fat away from having a very lean defined body.

(Karen Parrott) #37

That’s freaking AWESOME. Congrats.

(KCKO, KCFO) #38

Ryan, Ketogains.com might be a place you want to check out. It is a website run by a body builder who is really into Keto.

(Deb) #39

And leangains.com. Martin Berkham has 4% bf doing 16:8 and a TKD.

(Andrew) #40

I started 8 weeks ago at 185 with a goal of 155-160.

I am presently 164, but I am adjusting my target to 149 and then will focus on maintenance. What is most amazing to me is the speed in which I have returned to Normal BMI (from an overweight BMI)

I generally eat 2000-2200 calories daily. Soon I’ll need new pants, as I haven’t been under 160 in 10 years.