Anyone have food allergies or histamine allergies?

(Edith) #21

I thought I was having food allergies and/or histamine trouble because I would get something called air hunger and heart palpitations after I ate certain foods. I was also becoming sensitive to more and more things. I went to an allergist and pretty much had no food allergies, according to the skin prick test.

With that being said, the skin prick test does not test for delayed reactions. For example, when I eat dairy products (of any type) I get itchy several hours later, particularly on my scalp, and the next day my joints ache terribly. It seems an allergy test doesn’t help with those kinds of reactions.

It’s turns out, I believe magnesium deficiency resulting from eating a high oxalate diet was the root of my troubles.

When I started keto three years ago, I really upped my oxalate intake as well. I was eating lots of healthy greens, berries, nuts. I was drinking a lot of tea. All of these foods contain a lot of oxalate. I believe the oxalate prevented me from absorbing the magnesium and that is why I became deficient.

It took several months of high doses of magnesium to get the heart palpitations to go away. I also went on a low oxalate diet. I’m lucky, I seem to be finished with the oxalate dumping, but the first several months of low oxalate were challenging and uncomfortable and sometimes even painful.

High oxalate foods are frequently foods that are also high in histamine. Now that the oxalates seem to have left my system. I am feeling so much better. No more palpitations, no more air hunger, no more watering right eye (why the right one only?) I can even eat foods that I thought were causing me trouble.

My diet at this point is pretty much meat with about one serving of fruit or vegetables a day. All the “allergy” problems seem to be gone. There is an exception: I still have some trouble if my histamine is too high. Canned fish and some
fresh seafood seem to be the biggies for me. Oh, and pork rinds. That one makes me sad. I do still avoid dairy. My reaction is painful enough that I’ve been afraid to try it.

I’m telling you this because many fruits and vegetables are high in oxalate. If you are eating a plant based diet, oxalate is really something you need to be aware of. I’m not saying don’t eat vegetarian, but do be careful about oxalates. I’ve heard, but don’t know first hand, that there are even some vegetarian and vegan websites that do mention the oxalate conundrum.

All of these problems I had to figure out on my own. So, with you foods related to latex, you should go with your own observations. If they cause you trouble, they cause you trouble. But, you may find over time, there is another underlying issue causing your sensitivity in the first place.