Anyone egg free?

Have you tried quail eggs? I know someone who cannot eat chicken eggs, but ok with quail eggs.

(Rhiannon ) #5

Quail and/or duck eggs may be fine. Simply not readily available. But maybe itā€™s time to raise ducks.

Iā€™m honestly not looking for an egg replacement idea. Just wanted to know others have successfully done Keto egg free.

Every Keto cookbook Iā€™ve gotten is heavy on the eggs. The most recent cookbook with a grocery list was 4 dozen eggs for the first week. So yea.

For dinner meals, youā€™ve got plenty of protein options with chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc.

The breakfast and dessert type recipes can be a pain. Some thickening type foods, like flax meal or chia can be used to make puddings or sauces. If you are ok with heavy whipping cream, you can use it to mount pan juices from frying meat and make delicious gravy. You can also thicken the cream further to make a rich cream you can eat like custard.

Do you know if you are specifically allergic to yolks or whites only? I knew a gal who was ok with the yolk, but not the whites. So that opened up more food options for her.

(Rhiannon ) #7

When I initially went Gfree I made many ā€œdinnersā€ for breakfast.

Since Iā€™ve been egg free for 4 years I have utilized the flax seed egg replacements and used chia seeds to thicken things.

Using cream for gravies sounds delightful. Maybe Iā€™ll incorporate that a bit more.

(Rhiannon ) #8

My blood test showed yolks being the biggest issue.

Interesting! This means you may be able to get away with using the whites. This would open up an avenue of new recipes for you.

Here are two examples of mounting sauces, you can use either cream or fats (like butter, lard, tallow, ghee). First example is from oven roasted meat drippings, and the other is from stove top meat drippings. Hope these two links below helps :smile:

Lamb with gravy

Meatballs and gravy

Iā€™m not egg free, but Iā€™m also not a big fan of eggs on their own anyway, and most of my meals are made without eggs anywhere to be found. I did go a while where I was eating lots of eggs at work for breakfast, but that grew tiring as my options for making them were limited at times and, as I said, I donā€™t like eggs much. Now I just donā€™t eat breakfast most days.

I find if you arenā€™t trying to make ā€˜fake carbā€™ foods (fake breads, for instance), and arenā€™t simply making eggs, they donā€™t really come up much.

But, on a more helpful note, you could check out some vegan ketogenic recipes and ideas, as they donā€™t use eggs either.

(Rhiannon ) #11

Thank you!

(Megan) #12

I canā€™t eat eggs either! I am fine with dairy and can stand a little bit of egg if I need to. I just eat other things. I havenā€™t been eating breakfast for a long time but if I do, itā€™s usually bacon or sausage or cheese. Usually my ā€œbreakfastā€ is at noon so I eat leftovers from dinner mostly.

I also have issues with seafood and avocado but I havenā€™t been to an allergist. Keto can be tough going but Iā€™ve done without these things for so many years, I hardly notice except when Iā€™m out at restaurant.

(Rhiannon ) #13

Awesome to hear thank you for sharing!

(Megan) #14

Iā€™ve never tried quail or duck eggs. Are those sold in regular grocery stores?

Iā€™ve found duck eggs in regular grocery stores from time to time around here (though, usually in the ā€˜regular brandā€™ grocery stores in the slightly wealthier areas). Theyā€™re also common in various Asian super markets around here at least. I think Iā€™ve seen quail eggs at a grocery store before, but not commonly.

With the duck eggs, keep in mind there are a few types that will look and taste a bit different (preserved duck eggs are common but will have black ā€˜whitesā€™, for instance).

(Megan) #16

Thank you!

(Rhiannon ) #17

My vegan Keto cookbook is on its way!

(Rhiannon ) #18

Vegan cookbook from Amazon was a total waste. It is getting returned. Super bummed.

Looks like Iā€™ll be making my own.

(Megan) #19

Thatā€™s too bad! Let me know if you come up with any good recipes.

(Jeff) #20

Iā€™m egg free! Just started keto but Iā€™ve been egg free my whole life. Not allergic, just think theyā€™re gross. Haha

My morning go-toā€™s are bulletproof coffee, bacon, sausage, or a smoothie. Most often Iā€™ll make smoothies the night before. If you put it in a good vacuum thermos it wonā€™t separate.

Todayā€™s smoothie:
1.5 cups of spinach
1/4 cup or less blueberries
1tbsp of natty peanut butter
1tbsp coconut oil
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 scoop of whey isolate

(Rhiannon ) #21

Hallelujah.

Those are great ideas. Thank you.

(Rhiannon ) #22

Iā€™m coffee free but I could be more diligent and bulletproof my chai tea!

(kimhowerton) #23

I went egg and dairy free a few weeks ago!
Like completelyā€¦ hopefully at some point I can reintroduce a little egg in a recipe here and there but for now Iā€™m doing 6 weeks completely free of both.

A few life savers:

Aroy-D coconut cream - I order on amazon.Itā€™s amazing. You wontā€™ use a whole package by itā€™s use after open time, so freeze it in ice cup trays.

Gelatin eggs - Iā€™ve made some great crackers with gelatin egg, hemp hearts and a pinch of coconut flour. They are actually really good and crispy.

Kite Hill chive cream cheese (you canā€™t tell it isnā€™t the real thing!) Sadly the plain is odd.
And Kite Hill unsweetened yogurt- needs a bit of vanilla for the flavorā€¦