Any advice to stop me going mad?

food

(Allie) #21

So you need to change your habits, when boredom kicks in, go for a walk or whatever else. You’re the one in control.

Welcome to being human! Everybody wants to eat crap sometimes, and if you do, then you do. Then you move on. Not a huge deal.

Ted, I just quickly scanned throught the thread there, so apologies if somebody else has already suggested this.

Bizarrely, although lock down/working from home etc. during the pandemic had negative impact on aspects of my mental health (for example I drank more at the time), but because I was at home I had more control over what I was eating.

When I’m at home, I try to cook and stick to keto rather than order takeaway or stop at a ready food place. But the biggest help, for me, was not being exposed to the well meaning workmates and contractors visiting my site with all myriad of cholcolates, biscuits, pastries, crisps/chips/pizza, cakes…you name it.

And it’s still going on, now that I’m back on site! I’ve told them my T2 reversal journey, NAFLD, sleep apnea CPAP etc. etc…but they still want to feed me this cr*p. What!? Mad.

So I just bring in my pickled mussels and tinned mackerel, and absolutely turn their stomachs (because they don’t like that stuff but I love that sh*t, and it’s keto) and they stop the, well meaning, force feeding.

So a long story short, simply don’y buy the carb cr*p in the first place, and if anybody tries to force feed you at your place of work (just trying to be nice), simply get up out of the canteen and finish lunch at your desk/van/whatever.

For what it’s worth, that’s my advice bro. Good luck.

(Rossi Luo) #24

I think the others have given you enough suggestions, what I am going to say is that I have been in Keto for 9 months, I’d like to say that I’m quite a strict Ketoer, but if I see lots of carbs foods in my refrigerator, sometimes I would cheat too. So the best way is to keep your home without carbs.

Thanks Shinita! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Yes but most of us don’t live alone… Do we? :thinking:
This advice is so common but it won’t happen with a family with non-ketoers.
It definitely make things harder unless one is very sensitive to carbs (I never would eat things I KNOW will make me sick… but I can eat very nearly anything without that… to some extent…) or just have some serious self control (I don’t think I have more than very, very minimal but it’s fine, I just need more training :wink: to change my desires, not to get self control, that wouldn’t work)…
Fortunately, one can change and I quickly desensitized to many things I see around me at home all the time. Not all, sadly but I get better even with those. To me, exotic or very seasonal things are the most dangerous. It took many years but I learned to postpone eating tempting stuff I could just store in the freezer or pick a week or a month later in the garden. I didn’t eat from our first several strawberries, I could wait (it helps that I am not into that hit and miss fruit that isn’t sweet enough). I do the same with blackberries (I don’t like them either. still will taste them but I am not in a hurry. and if I postpone it long enough, the total amount will be super tiny).

We should do what we can :smiley: Even if it’s a give we eat certain carby things, we may have control over the amount, time, frequency… Even if we are uncontrolled little hedonists with an indulgent body like me. Stubbornness and practice is important.
If my mind would try to get determined to stay away from higher-carb things, I would run away immediately. I can do it for some time. Or only in tiny amounts. But nothing, ever? Nope, I would get out (and it would be bad as I can’t eat higher-carb again).
So total abstinence may not be the answer. Or it may be, it’s individual.
And we all have different “okay on keto” items.

The solution to sharing a fridge with non Ketoers is to get a small fridge for oneself and eat only out of it. Not even look into theirs. Of course, if you are the family cook and they can’t cook for themselves, things are hard.

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

Then it is the perfect time for them to learn to cook. Everyone should be able to feed themself, even if it is “wrong stuff”. If they want to eat it they should be able to prep and cook it.

(Robin) #29

If they can’t cook for themselves, they are at your mercy! Bwahaha! :smirk:

I refuse to have another fridge, no space for it anyway :slight_smile: But it’s fine, fridge content isn’t triggering for me like that.

Not necessarily. I like cooking and especially baking and it helps with various things like fasting… I get food joy without eating, it’s cool. And it’s better when I cook, actually as my SO almost always cooks carby food (it’s better since we regularly eat meat, he cooks stews sometimes now) and sometimes it’s something I even like while I can control what I cook, to a great extent. It wouldn’t be so easy with some crazy diet for other family members but it’s not like I would have ANY idea what to cook if my SO ate low-fat, for example. I don’t know low-fat cuisine at all, never had such a phase. (Maybe one or two dishes if I force myself… But I don’t. I could easily cook even vegan stuff, even some raw vegan dishes - well that’s not cooking, per se… - but really low-fat? Nope, that’s too weird to me.)

It doesn’t work with small kids. Or with too busy people. Or who come home hungry and the dish requires being fresh. Or ones with negative talents at cooking, not like I understand how that works but some are like that.

I understand where you are coming from and I surely use the power of being the main cook :wink: BUT I still love my SO and I can’t force just anything on him… Fortunately no need, he isn’t THAT choosy and we always had some common ground. And we are only two anyway. And adults. I would be doomed with 3 choosy kids… Choosy adults are fine but I couldn’t do that to kids. Is such a thing as born choosy…? :thinking: Maybe to a tiny extent, I suppose habits are pretty important there.