An ER Doctor's Keto Story

(Anthony ) #1

Hi Dudes!

I’m a 36 year old ER doctor in San Diego. I wanted to write to thank you for helping me along my journey into the ketogenic lifestyle. I find your podcast to be a place of comfort that I can turn to in a medical world that conveniently likes to ignore the risks of high carbohydrate eating.

As I reached my 30s, I began to notice that although my diet was the same (Standard American Diet) I had slowly but steadily gained weight. Not only that, but I noticed my mood was often irritable and I had low energy. I never seemed to have the energy to play with my 2 young kids. Getting through long emergency room shifts was a bear both mentally and physically. Naps were a necessity. I had developed bad reflux and had to take pills with every meal. My labs looked the way I felt. I watched as my A1c and triglycerides slowly up trended over the years. My triglyceride to HDL ratio was over 9!! Although I had metabolic syndrome and was at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes and heart disease, you would not know it by looking at me because I was not overtly obese. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I had become intolerant of carbohydrates.

My primary care doctor’s response was that I would probably need to go on statins when I was in my 50s, but to not worry. He recommended exercise. After a year of intense workouts (high intensity interval training and running -3 times a week), nothing had changed. In fact, I had gained weight. My A1c and TGs crept up even more. I wasn’t ready to accept that a lifetime of drugs was my fate, but I didn’t know what to do.

I couldn’t even fall back to my medical training! I can recall that we only received 1 or 2 days of nutrition education in medical school. As a result, we doctors have a poor grasp on diet and nutrition, at best reciting the obsolete and unsubstantiated US food pyramid, or worse simply ignoring diet with patients all together.

So, I decided to do some research on my own, combing through medical journals and finding resources like your podcast. I recall being awe struck by the science behind the ketogenic diet. Decrease carbs, decrease insulin response, and in-turn decrease fat storage. It just made so much intuitive, evolutionary and scientific sense. Why had this not hit me before? Flash-forward almost a year later, ketogenic eating has completely changed my life. I have lost over 36 pounds. My triglycerides dropped from 300+ to around 100 and my TG/HDL ratio is a much healthier, 2. GERD is gone. Blood pressure is normal. Great energy levels. I am killing it at the gym, making more gains than I ever did being fueled by carbs.

Before my journey, I had never given much worth to the influence of diet on health, but honestly; I have seen more true “cures” from low carb diets in the last year, than I have from any chronic medication we prescribe.

I have now made it a mission to talk to my emergency patients about the many benefits of a low carb/high fat diet. In the emergency room, I think we have a unique opportunity to make an impact at scary, but meaningful moments in life. Whether they are in for chest pain, the many horrible diabetes complications, or even something minor, I like to tell my patients that our bodies send us signals when things are going awry. I say, “Its not just bad luck that you are in the emergency room—You CAN fix this before it gets worse.” I find most of my pre-diabetic and diabetic patients have never had any real education about their diet from their doctors and they are so appreciative. Modern medicine will require a long time to “un-learn” bad science and bad dietary recommendations, but I am hopeful that we’ll get there some day! Thank you guys for spreading the word.

Dr. Anthony

(Darlene Horsley) #2

Truly! My Dr. to this day hasn’t. 6 months ago he had his front desk call me to tell me he’d like to put me on Metformin after an A1C of 6.5
Hopefully he’ll be getting a surprise next month when my next labs are done.
Keep up the good work Doc and keep spreading the Keto word!

(Bunny) #3

I noticed this too, I have a lot of things to be unhappy about, but you know what? I am really happy and feel really good all the time no matter how many psychosocial stressors I am confronted with! I feel that it could be attributed to neuro plasticity changes and neural repair furthering resistance to adrenal stress through dietary intake, including the use of MCT coconut oil.

Some people do not experience this phenomenon or benefit, not sure why? I imagine it has to do with BDNF factors, but none the less is fascinating!

(Keto in Katy) #4

Well done Dr Anthony! Please spread the word among your colleagues if you can. We desperately need more informed doctors like you to help people truly turn their health around. You are making a difference.

YAY!! good for you. I’m so impressed when someone is willing to do the research and be open to the science (and logic, and evolutionary sense…).
Thanks for sharing, and congratulations!

While I’m super impressed that you are sharing this with patients, and I’m not trying to discredit your great story, how can you share this with other docs? I wish everyone hitting the ER with heart, sugar and other disease with a food root cause would see someone like you!

(Garry (Canada)) #7

Thanks for taking the time to share. Keep up the great work!

(Karen Parrott) #8

Congrats and glad the San Diego health care LCHF / Keto medical professionals are growing in number!!!

Here’s to your continued success!!! Karen P. CLS MT (ASCP) in real life. I live in Carlsbad , work in the OC