Am I Getting Kicked Out Of Autophagy If I Eat Salt A Few Hours Later After My Meal?

keto
salt
omad

(Ovidiu Drobotă) #1

Hello everyone.

I wanted to ask if salt is kicking me out of ketosis & autophagy if I eat it a few hours later after my meal?

I eat one meal a day at a specific hour. Let’s say I eat a teaspoon of salt after two hours since I’ve done my meal.

Is salt kicking me out of ketosis and autophagy?

Thanks.

(Susan) #2

Are you fasting? Typically you get into autophagy with fasts that are 48-72 hours and then continue in that state. If you are eating daily and following proper Keto, then you will stay in Ketosis. Are you eating good salt? There are a few different ones, I take the Pink Himalyan salt and I eat a few (usually 3 in total) teaspoons a day, and I stay in Ketosis. I do OMAD usually, but occasionally end up doing a 18/6, depending on what is going on with the family.

If you are doing a 48+ hour fast, and taking the salt, it will not throw you out of Ketosis of Autophagy. You are supposed to take even more salt when doing your fasts.

(Ovidiu Drobotă) #3

Hi Susan!

I eat one meal a day. 1600 calories. 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs.

And yes, I’m eating a good salt. A black Himalayan salt.

The problem is that I don’t want to get out of ketosis and autophagy if I eat salt three hours later after I’ve done my meal.

(Susan) #4

This podcast is great info all about the salt.

You are supposed to eat salt when doing Keto and when fasting as well, so you will be fine. I was just not sure about the autophagy as I wasn’t sure if you are doing 48+ hour fasts?

These 2Keto dudes own this forum, so they are the experts =).

(Ovidiu Drobotă) #5

I eat only one meal a day. One meal in 24 hours.

I’m not fasting for 48 hours ore more.

Should I fast 48 hours or more to enter the process of autophagy?

(Susan) #6

That is totally up to you =). I just have heard/read that you have to be on a water/plain tea/coffee only fast for atleast 48 hours to enter into autophagy. Since you are relatively new to Keto and your body is still adjusting to that, you might want to wait. If you think you could do that already for the 48 hours or more, then try!

You can always try, and if it too overwhelming for you and you need to stop and eat, then do that. That is what I like about fasting, it is voluntary, no one is forcing you to do it. I plan on doing a 72 hour one that I have just started at 6:00 (an hour ago) because I need the benefits of autophagy for my body. I have done 4-24 hour ones and 3-48 hour ones though so far…building up to it. I made sure I ate a good, filling meal 5:30, and had some fat bombs for desert. I will be drinking atleast 128 ounces of water daily, taking my salt, and some plain green tea and herbal tea (plain also) during that time.

(Katie Moe) #7

Here is an article that might provide some information:

(Not a cow) #8

Dr Fung says that only carbs and protein turn off autophagy. He says you can eat pure fat and still get the benefits, so as long as the salt has no carbs, which I don’t think it does, it will not kick you out of either ketosis or autophagy.

Signs of autophagy?
(April Harkness) #9

Ditto what Susan said. Himalayan pink salt is one of my fav tools to use during my fasting window( and my eating window too!) In fact…time to put a bit on my tongue. Yum!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

This is both true and false…mostly false for us.

It’s said that it takes about 48-72 hours of fasting to activate autophagy. This rationale is based on how long it takes for someone eating the standard western diet to get into ketosis.

An OMAD or an 18\6, 20\4 IF have daily autophagy benefits, common among us here.

(Susan) #11

Oh, okay, thanks @David_Stilley for clarifying that for all of us.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Salt has no calories, because it is a mineral, not a food. So no, it won’t kick you out of ketosis, and it won’t inhibit autophagy. Salt is essential to the diet, and we are at our healthiest when we are getting 10-15 grams a day, including whatever salt is in our food.