Alopecia and Keto

(Cheryl) #2

I add a scoop of collagen to my yogurt or smoothies at least daily or twice a day. I initially started doing this for a tasteless protein boost before working out. My research suggested that I may see a difference in my hair and nails. I did both became healthier after using collagen daily. Early in life I developed hypothyroidism and use to lose handfuls of hair everyday. This has changed since adding to the collagen. I have no direct cause/result proof that collagen is the reason that my hair is no longer falling out by the handfuls. However, when I started using collagen I had already accepted the Keto lifestyle for about 6 months.

(Alijim) #3

Hi,

Last fall I started experiencing the same thing too. It was embarrassing in a way because I was having to clean out the drain so my husband wouldn’t see the hair.

I started using the Mane Choice Growth oil - found at Sally’s, Target, or Amazon. But just putting it in my hair before bed and washing it out in the morning.
Also started a zinc supplement 50mg/day. Zinc supposedly slows down the DHT hormone that makes the hair fall out, along with some of the ingredients in the Growth Oil.

I do take a prenatal multi-vitamin too.
My hair loss slowed down and I started seeing hair sprouting after a month. And now I’ve been slacking on the hair oil and zinc. I do it about 3x a week and so far have been okay these last 3 months.

I do put hydrolyzed collagen in our soupy food - marinara, curry, or soups. But that is maybe once a week. I use the Great Lakes green container.

(Alijim) #4

One of my good friends has a family history of diabetes and thyroid problems. She lost a lot of hair on keto and used the Costco Kirkland brand of Rogaine to get her hair back. She switched to a Mediterranean diet as her thyroid levels were not looking good on 1 year of keto.

I know we don’t like hearing that but some of us do better on keto than others.

(Jennibc) #5

So far other than this, everything is going great! I feel better than I ever have in terms of energy and mentally so I am not willing to give it up at this point. I already can’t eat grain or sugar so the only difference would be to lower fat and up protein.

(Christine) #6

This is something I copied from another group that offers excellent support for keto. Hope it helps:

“…First things first: if you’re experiencing hair loss, take a look at your calories to see if they’re too low, and address that before you start chugging the supplements!

I believe that the vast majority of people experiencing hair loss on the Ketogenic diet are those who are under-eating. When nutrients are low, hair and nails are the most expendable as far as sustaining life goes, and their requirements will fall off the radar in deference to the systems in the body that have a higher priority…”

(Jennibc) #7

Honestly, I don’t think I am eating too little. I am fat adapted and my weight loss is averaging about 3.8 pounds a month which is really healthy. I tend to eat between 1400 and 2000 calories a day. I really don’t go hungry at all.

I experienced hair loss as well. It stopped after I started supplementing magnesium into my diet.

(Jennibc) #9

Interesting, I just started doing magnesium citrate about a month ago - was doing magnesium oxide. That stopped the cramping finally. I read something about zinc and biotin so perhaps I should work harder at incorporating those minerals.

(Tammy) #10

I had fairly noticeable hair loss probably at least 10-11 months into Keto. Though, interestingly enough my nails went from breaking and splitting all the time to being really strong. My hair loss has come to a stop the last 3 or 4 months. Not sure if it just finally ran its course or it is due to added supplements. I now take collagen (more consistently than before), biotin, MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), and zinc. I am 58, so yeah I’m very concerned about my hair and skin and have seen definite improvement in both over the last couple of months.

There are several good threads on the forums about hair loss here is one that I bookmarked - Hair loss help

(Kim ) #11

Hi!
I have only been listening to the podcasts and a member of the forum for the last 6 months or so.So I am catching up with everything. I happened to listen to the Any way You Can podcast (#143) with Dr Annette Bosworth a little while ago. Around minute 50 she mentions that she saw “Brandon” across the room at a conference and his hair part was very noticeable. She said that that is a result of an iron deficiency. So, that’s one more thing to consider…

(Jennibc) #12

Thanks! I should have searched hair loss rather than ‘alopecia’ - nothing on point came up when I used alopecia

(Pri ) #13

I have experience that more then one time. But all hair come back. Mine did, but I still loose hair but big alopecia spots r gone.

(Alijim) #14

Now that I think about it, I’ve been taking Magnesium Malate by Source Naturals. I take it mainly to keep my bowels regular, but it could also be helping my hair.

I have had the same issues. I do supplement B vitamins when I remember, what has helped me the most was Minoxidil (a little derma rolling also made a noticeable difference). There are/were lots of little new hairs sprouting making the roots thicker. My part is no longer wide. This regrowth was noticeable after only a few weeks and has continued for more than a year. A second thing that has surprised me … I have decided to quit dying my hair about 5 months ago. (Hello Silver Sisters) My hair has grown in even thicker once I quit using chemicals. I also take magnesium threonate.
Good luck to you! I think it will improve, just the way you lose but then get hair back after pregnancy.

(shawn) #16

I had the same thing happen about 7-9 months after I started keto. This was 3 years ago, so I can’t remember the timeframes well, but I started keto in the fall before the holidays and didn’t start losing hair until sometime in the summer. I’m also 52, and was pretty worried. The good news is, that a few months laterit started growing back thicker and without the greys! I have significantly less grey roots than previously. No change in supplements. The only thing I take regularly is magnesium and melatonin at bedtime, and I was doing that before keto as a sleep aid.

(Jennibc) #17

I have never dyed or bleached my hair so that’s not an issue. I am going to wait on the minoxidil but will look into supplements. I am taking the vitamin B daily now and just picked up some collagen today. Thanks!

(Sue Kitchell) #18

Hi Jennibc, I started Keto last spring around May and I started losing more hair after washing my hair after I had been on it for several months. I am 58 and I have thick hair as well. I was not too concerned at first but then I started wondering if I was losing my hair, then what else was this diet doing to me physically. I know Keto is great but I was doing something wrong, nutritionally with my food intake. I decided after scrutinizing my macros and some research, I found out that I was not taking in enough protein. I was not even taking in 0.8 grams per kg. I was so worried about having too much that I was not getting enough protein for several months and therefore hair loss is a symptom. Being strict on Keto is fine but just make sure you are getting enough nutrients.

(Jennibc) #19

Yes, I have upped my protein since writing this post. We will see how that goes! I also started taking collagen supplements and B-12. might be a total waste of money, but I am willing to risk that loss of money for the sake of trying!

(Sue Kitchell) #20

Under eating protein is what I found my problem was. I lost hair too and now I make sure I get my protein macro’s for the day. It took awhile but I am not losing hair like I did.

(Sue Kitchell) #21

Yes collagen is very important for hair, skin and nail health. I use it too but not too much. I hope it works for you. Like I said, it took a while for my hair health to improve.