Abnormal kidney blood results

(Kimble M Lemen) #1

Just recieved my blood results after 11 months Carnivore. I do carnivoire for a variety of reasons. It has helped my digestion tremendously and anything carbs above 10 causes me to crave food all day.

My results were good except for:
LDL (of course) 231 ( but HDL is 65 and trigs are 83, glucose 96)
Red blood cells - high at 5.18 million
Chloride high at 111
urea nitrogen high at 27
Bun high at 40
CO2 los at 13 mmol/L
Platelets slightly low at 130,000

Most of these relate to possible kidney problems. grrr. This is the only diet that fixed my pre-diabetes and helps my interstitial cystitis.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Your BUN and chloride are slightly elevated. I think BUN and urea nitrogen are one and the same, did you make an error? BUN stands for Blood Urea Nitrogen. You didn’t list a creatinine level. That’s an indicator of kidney issues if it’s above normal range. It’s also important to know that elevated levels of BUN and creatinine are very much influenced by hydration. If you’re not drinking enough for a couple of days before testing expect elevated levels of these two. I have been a renal patient for almost 12 years now, I recently got a transplant after 10 years of dialysis. On occasion I have neglected adequate hydration and had elevated levels only to be tested a week later with normal levels after making sure I drank enough fluids.

Your cholesterol and triglycerides are looking good although your doc may freak over the LDL part, don’t let him intimidate you on this one. Remember that as you fixed your diabetes that was a major step towards keeping your renal health, diabetics make up the major portion of dialysis patients. KCKO. :cowboy_hat_face:

(CharleyD) #3

Hi @Kim_Lemen did you happen to also have a eGFR taken as well? That’s estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate, and is usually part of a Metabolic Panel with Quest or LabCorp.

That value gives something of an indication of how well the filters in the nephrons are doing their job.

(Kimble M Lemen) #4

I see. It says:
Urea Nirogen (BUN) 27 mg/dl
Bun/creatinine ratio 40
GFR is 92. Okay for my age (64)

I’ll try to drink more. I’m just not that thirsty. Congrats on your new kidney!

(Kimble M Lemen) #5
  1. Normal is above 90. Hanging in there. I read it can be lower for older folks. I’m 64.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I’m not sure about BUN/Creatinine ratios. Creatinine is listed in mg/dl just like BUN on my lab sheets. My labs just list ranges for them separately.

As far as GFR my lab sheet says <60 is standard, mine is 76. The range is different for African Americans. I would think a higher score shows more clearance? That particular stat has never come up with me. I hope things go well for you. :cowboy_hat_face:

Sorry, the GFR is actually based on >60. :slightly_smiling_face:

(CharleyD) #7

Oh yeah, that’s nothing to fret over. I got way low and discovered that all the coffee and tea I was swilling all day long was having an impact. Switching to water for at least 3/4ths of my fluid intake made the difference.

(Karen) #8

My BUN came back at 26.

One thought on why
https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/aa36271

And
https://labtestsonline.org/tests/blood-urea-nitrogen-bun

Also

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

It’s interesting that Dr. Berg doesn’t mention adequate hydration to lower levels, what all my doctors post transplant told me to do. On dialysis water must be limited so the low protein is the solution. But I don’t believe that it’s the case with a healthy kidney. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #10

Dr. Jason Fung is a nephrologist (renal/kidney expert) and maybe you could investigate or look into intermittent fasting or extended fasting (water restriction, not dry fasting) to improve (“possible kidney problems”) renal function?

References:

1. End Organ Damage – T2D 17 - Dr. Jason Fung
  1. 5DaysofFoodandWaterDeprivation.pdf
  1. “…Notice how the renal function is drastically improved, kind of strange, you would think it would be the opposite? On another thread on the forum their is a Dr. Bernstein (hope I spelled that right) video who improved his own diabetic kidney/renal (failing) function eating only protein, so if your body is catabolizing its own protein (DNA parts from autophagy) then maybe that explains the improved renal function in these study subjects because your own protein is going to be very nutrient dense and raw? Much like eating organ meats and glandulars (maybe better raw?) from animals or protomorphogens? (DNA parts)…” …More
  1. How Much Protein Do You Need In Nutritional Ketosis? Nitrogen Balance?

1. To Fast or Not to Fast: What Are the Risks of Fasting?
  1. Relationship between nitrogen loss and blood urea nitrogen concentrations in patients requiring continuous renal replacement therapy
  1. How Much Protein do you REALLY Need? Are you in a Positive Nitrogen Balance?

This is brought up in this video.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Did they measure HbA1C? What was that like?