Death of the Calorie---A well Balanced Article in the Popular Press

conversationstarters

(Carolus Holman) #1

This article is actually one of the most balanced I have seen, it doesn’t mention KETO but, it does talk at length about the fallacy of Calories In - Calories Out, and is quite good.

Article: Death of a calorie

This article I came across thanks to Dr David Ludwig is a very long read and goes over the problem and history of counting calories. It is more of a whole food article than a Keto but it drives the point we are misguided by calorie consensus. Worth the read.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

We’ll probably get more threads on this article, as it is one of the best popular articles I’ve seen. No wonder Dr. Ludwig recommended it! We’ll try to keep everything consolidated into one thread. Thanks for the link, guys!

(bulkbiker) #4

May I suggest changing the title of the thread to be the same as the article so at least there is a vague chance that people can see it has been posted on already? Ta M

(MooBoom) #5

This is life changing stuff. I’m so damn excited about this article because it’s just the science, clearly laid out, no ideaology, no ‘keto’ tag which often scares folks off. I’m sharing the heck out of this- thank you for posting it!!!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #6

I wanted to be excited about this article but, after pouring through the entire thing, I was disappointed that metabolic syndrome was merely alluded to, not named, and only at the very end in a few sentences:

“Camacho and other calorie dissidents argue that sugar and highly processed carbohydrates play havoc with people’s hormonal systems. Higher insulin levels mean more energy is converted into fat tissues leaving less available to fuel the rest of the body. That in turn drives hunger and overeating. In other words the constant hunger and fatigue suffered by Camacho and other dieters may be symptoms of being overweight, rather than the cause of the problem.”

(Khara) #7

Wooo… green! :+1: That’s new.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

The system calls it “staff color” and uses it for official announcements.