Why eating more is your key to weighing less

(Wendy) #22

I did the audio books and had a hard time turning them off. I then bought the books for refrences. I loved Gary’s books. I did read Good Calories, Bad Calories first and Why We Get Fat is pretty much a simplified version of that.
Unless you understand this theory and what it’s based on its really hard to wrap your head around how you can eat more and still lose. Or why what you eat makes a huge difference.

(Wendy) #23

Eating less doesn’t, but once you are fat adapted for sure, and maybe when you aren’t, when you fast the body goes into a survival mode. You need to find food because none is coming in. When you lower the calories too much the body goes into a starvation mode and lowers the metabolism to conserve energy.
I don’t know that anyone can say if you burned x amount of calories you will burn this much if you fast but the whole hormonal response is different when you fast from when you eat.

(Wendy) #24

Also the more insulin resistant you are the longer fast you may need to get the insulin down. If insulin is up, no fat gets burned so yes if you eat more including too much fat, it will most likely get stored.
The nice thing is if you are producing ketones you can lose fat you don’t burn through pee, and breathing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

No. If you drop your intake to 500 calories a day, the body will attempt to use only 500 calories a day. If you do that too long, your metabolism may never recover—this is apparently what happened to the “Biggest Loser” contestants in that follow-up study. Of course, there is a limit to how long you can fast without harming yourself, and it depends on how much excess fat you have to lose. There is also a maximum number of calories per pound of fat that you can metabolize in a day.

There is a famous case, that of the Scotsman, Angus Barbieri, who started at nearly four or five hundred pounds and fasted for slighlty longer than a year, until he was down to around 160 or so. Don’t try this at home: Barbieri did it under medical supervision and took the risk only because he was desperate. I believe they checked his blood work every so often and gave him supplements as needed. Barbieri successfully kept the weight off until he died, a few years later.