10 days in & 11lb lighter but am I in ketosis?

(Michelle) #1

Hi. My name’s Michelle. Im a 48 yr old you yo dieter.
I found this forum earlier and love all you’re helpful comments.
I have always been a low fat low cal dieter so initially i struggled with the amount of fat cals allowed.
I’ve read that bad breath is a sign I’m in ketosis but mines ok so not sure if I’m in ketosis? (I’m waiting for my testing strips to arrive)

I’m loosing weight, have no hunger pangs and feel generally great. Apart from having no strength in my legs, I have a wee hill and two flights of stairs to get to my front door (I live on the west cost of scotland) I’d love to go on one of my walks but dont think they’d cope atm lol

I’m struggling keeping my protein low enough I think. I’ve read it can prevent ketosis if you have too much? I’m eating mainly cheesey buttery omelettes with ham or chicken for lunch. And things like steak fried in butter with blue cheese or salmon using sesame oil.
Breakfast was never really my thing as I prefer to sleep. However I found a recipe for ‘butter coffee’ which I LOVE. it tops up my fat content without the protein too.
I’ve noticed I’m not craving carbs either. My cupboards are still full of salty crackers and the like, left over from Christmas, I haven’t touched a one :ok_hand:
Don’t really want to discuss my loo habits, but, I’m not going as regularly at the moment, and I’m worried I’m not getting enough fibre (was in the news yesterday that it’s not good to have little fibre)
What’s best to do to increase fibre intake on the keto plan? And do I need to take a multi vitamins also?

I’d love some inspiration for quick and easy high fat recipes, maybe that can be prepared and frozen? I don’t want to stand in the kitchen after working on my feet for 8 hours.

(Running from stupidity) #2

Don’t worry too much about that, there’s a lot of info that says it DOESN’T do that.

(Scott) #3

I would say you are in ketosis. If you keep carbs low enough you will stay there too. I aim for <50g and do fine but I also run. I have settled in to going every other day, it is the new normal.

(Michelle) #4

I have had anything from 8g to 23g of carbs since starting so far.
I’m not an athlete of any description but I’m constantly on my feet and walking around for 8 hours at work.

(Allie) #5

Sounds like you’re doing just fine. Don’t stress about protein, just focus on keeping carbs below 20g while you get used to things. Also make sure you get enough good quality salt.

(Carl Keller) #6

Welcome to the forum Michelle.

These are all good signs that keto is working. Bad breath is a possible effect of keto, but fortunately it’s not necessary. You may also notice that your pee has a stronger, unique odor to it. This is another keto signature.

Another great sign.

This is normal. It’s a sign that what you are eating is mostly being processed by your body as energy. When we eat a lot of garbage (processed foods), most of it comes out the other end.

My take is fiber helps more when we are eating garbage and our digestive systems needs constant scrubbing. But if we eliminate most of the garbage, our digestive system is much cleaner and not in need of as much fiber. Here’s an interesting, recent thread about fiber you may want to take a look at.

I’m going to guess that your hill and those stairs are going be much easier in the near future. Not ony does eating keto help our energy levels, it reduces inflammation and makes our muscles more efficient when being used. People often find they can work out or do strenous work involving their muscles and while they would normally feel sore the next day, they don’t.

I’m a fan of basic single item whole foods. Dinner might be a pan fried steak or a piece of salmon or a few pork chops along with a cup of broccoli and a few eggs. Things like this usually take me 15 minutes or less and since keto boosts our energy, it’s much easier for me to work 8-9 hours on my feet and then come home, rest an hour or so and then go make dinner. When I was a carb zombie, I dreaded making dinner and often ordered take out or delivery. Making a quick dinner is no longer a labor to me. :slight_smile:

I am eating better than ever before as far as getting necessary nutrients and I don’t take supplements. The things I notice I lack are mainly vitamin D, potassium and magnesium. I have been drinking Silk Almond Milk to boost vitamin D and the latter two are better regulated if we simply maintain adequate levels of sodium (which we need more of when doing keto). The human species has been around for hundreds of thousands of years and went through most of that time without taking supplements.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Welcome @MichelleR2019 to the forum. You sound like your on the right path, all good advice from everyone here.

My added advice would be that you do a kitchen purge as soon as you’re comfortable with it. It was very liberating for me to be able to say, no I’m not eating any of this crap ever again. I live in earthquake land (central California) and have always kept a well stocked pantry. I had enough food for more than 2 months on shelves, dry and canned goods, frozen convenience foods and crackers and such. I gave away 7 big boxes of food to a local food bank and a couple of neighbors. Just didn’t want to be reminded that they were available if I got weak in my resolve to change. As I said it was an empowering moment that I felt proud of.

The best to you on your journey to great health and happiness. :cowboy_hat_face:

i sauté a load of kale (50-100g) in butter and side it with a whole avocado and my “loo habits” are normal - though they weren’t before adding the kale. i can also recommend incorporating chia seeds or psyllium husk to your daily.

(Michelle) #9

Hi
I read somewhere that pink Himalayan salt is not really any different than normal salt. Is that right?

(Michelle) #10

Thanks, I’ll try that.

(Allie) #11

No definitely not the case, but you do have to make sure you get a decent type as a lot of places mix it in with regular salt.

Personally I like Celtic grey salt but I also use Himalayan pink as well as regular sea salt crystals. I always add a little Lite salt to my coffees too, as a way of getting potassium.

(Michelle) #12

It’s known to enhance coffee. I do that too sometimes.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

Himalayan pink salt has all the minerals from ancient sea deposits when the Himalayan mountains were under water. I like the rocks as you know it’s not diluted. I haven’t heard of it being mixed with regular sodium chloride before but it doesn’t surprise me since pink salt is a “hip thing “ nowadays. Celtic sea salt is delicious, I especially like it coarse for final dressing of foods. I use regular or kosher salt for adding to boiling water type stuff where you just needed salty water for cooking something like blanching a vegetable for 30 seconds before a stir fry. The good stuff goes directly on my food. I keep about 4 kinds of salt around at any given time. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michelle) #14

Thanks. I’ll see if I can get some of that type

(Michelle) #15

Sounds yummy. What do you do with the psyllium husk?

(Allie) #16

There’s a great tortilla recipe I’ve made using coconut flour and psyllium husk, I can go find it if you’d like? It’s also used a lot in keto breads.

(Michelle) #17

Yes please :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #18

That’s correct, I believe. It has “trace” amounts of some elements, but they’re REALLY trace :slight_smile:

OTOH, I use it because I like to do so :slight_smile:

(Allie) #19

Here you go :blush: