You know you're a ketoer when

(Jane) #1259

Same here - quarts for heavy cream. We can get half and half in half gallons - too bad not cream!

(UsedToBeT2D) #1260

When I look at all the obese people’s shopping carts, see all the processed foods overflowing, and think that’s what my cart USED to look like.
(And that’s what I USED to look like)

(Diane) #1261

I can get two quarts of heavy cream at Costco. :grin:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1262

I’m apparently slacking off! I buy whipping (heavy) cream in liter bottles but all too frequently I find myself consuming the last half pint as sour cream. Don’t misunderstand. I like sour cream, just not in my coffee!

We have 500ml boxes of cream but the common is 200-250ml, probably some shops only keep those (and those tiny weak things, one for each coffee).
The 500ml would be way too much for me but I actually don’t know how long it lasts as cream never spoiled in my fridge. But that probably nothing like sour cream even then, it stays liquid, right?
I buy cream once a month, 1 liter at most in total, one 250ml bag for every week for us two but I consume most of it. I use cream so often, I must stop it… I can’t afford all this extra fat and I want to stop drinking coffee all the time too. I take a break when I use a whole bag… Way too quickly though I got a bit better. It took years but I am able to ignore it even when it’s whipped and that’s one of the most tempting things ever. I got used to the UHT flavor too, well the weaker one of the bags with a shorter shelf life. The boxes lasts for months and they taste worse. It’s pretty much impossible to get normal, fresh cream here. Raw milk is very easy but cream? And I won’t turn raw milk into a tiny cream and a lot of way too skimmed milk. I abhor low-fat dairy, never considered them food.

The situation is better with sour cream, we have that in many sizes, 800ml is the usual biggest but I think I saw a 950ml once as well. Whipping cream is more fatty and less important in Hungarian kitchen so the supermarkets have lots of sour cream and little (a tiny fragment of the amounts of sour cream) whipping or cooking cream. We have no heavy cream at all let alone double. We don’t have half and half either. We have milk (0.1% fat, that’s for fat phobics I guess, we didn’t have it in the past… 1.5 and 2.8%, this two are the normal, most popular ones, 3.5/3.6% and of course the raw milk with the highest but unknown fat content) and cream (10, 22, 30% fat). Sour cream has 12 (ew) and 20% fat versions, sometimes even 25. Mascarpone has 40% fat.
Milk comes in 1 liter boxes only (or maybe there are 1.5l in certain shops? but it’s almost always only 1 liter. It’s odd, people drink milk differently). It was bags in the past so you needed a holder… But when I was a kid, there was 2dl milk too, they disappeared at some point. Vanilla milk and cocoa comes in smaller bags/boxes (maybe cups just like when I was a kid? I see so many retro stuff here) but as I don’t drink such things, I never look.

Butter is 100g or 250g.
Quark (low fat and half fat. I don’t understand because there is never a full fat one) is 250g or 500g, just like mascarpone.

We have so many things in small amounts only. I am thankful for the sour cream in big buckets. The little village shops have only 450ml and smaller cups though.

(Jane) #1264

LOL.

I make my own sour cream by adding buttermilk to cream and letting it sit on the counter for 24 hours. Thick, delicious sour cream.

Of course I make my own buttermilk also - add a few tablespoons of cultured buttermilk to whole milk and sit on the counter overnight (I am sensing a pattern here LOL).

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1265

I can’t get buttermilk here that I’ve found yet, but I fake sour cream by adding some lemon juice to sour cream. It stirs together and thickens nicely. It’s a lot cheaper than buying real sour cream.

Sour cream is way cheaper than cream here especially in the small village shops (both are more expensive there but cream is way more so). And it’s absolutely everywhere to find and usually good enough even though I have a favorite (the sourest, creamiest one :smiley: the thicker type is better for my pancake though).
We have no buttermilk so I don’t know what that thing is like.

getting more out there for sure cause waitresses now don’t give me the funk eye when ordering :slight_smile: OK, just meat, sure! Old days was just meat? HUH? What do I do with the rest of the meal? What? Huh? Not sure how to write that up, the chef won’t get it and more…LOL and you had to explain yourself a bit…omg…love now it is more out there enough the freaky eye on my ordering is gone!

(Jane) #1268

It is also call sour milk. Regular milk is also called sweet milk in very old American recipes to differentiate between the two.

(Polly) #1269

In the UK, buttermilk is the by-product of making butter rather than a fermented product. You churn cream to make butter and the other thing you produce is butter milk.

Thanks! I had a hunch and looked it up, okay, I know the Hungarian word for it, we have that, kind of. At least I had some idea about its existence as a kid, maybe even tasted it once or twice? I don’t remember much but we could buy it back then, it was some drink but not popular or useful, I think. Then it disappeared. And I saw it again in the last years, one supermarket has it now, it’s the only place I have any chance to find it but about no one uses that thing for anything, my family surely never did. I love sour stuff but I prefer sour cream, that’s more substantial (not drinkable but if I want to drink something, I have water. not a huge difference :smiley: I have this opinion about all watery low-fat dairy. yogurt, 1,.4% fat milk… buttermilk is even worse! but it may be a nice drink for someone sometimes I suppose).

(Jane) #1271

I am from the south in the USA and we don’t drink buttermilk but use it in baking a lot. I only keep it on hand for my once-every-two-weeks sourdough waffles I make with my starter in the fridge. Lately I have been dumping part down the drain and re-feeding instead of using it to keep it alive as we’ve been more strict keto lately. I make one waffle for hubby and one for me. And then give half of mine to him LOL. He can afford it - I can’t. We use a maple syrup made with Allulose.

Oh it comes handy when one has someone who eats and can handle well carbs, I know that :slight_smile:

Interesting. We don’t use buttermilk for sourdough… It gets whatever it needs from the air, yeast may be used for being sure though but it’s not the traditional way (I vaguely remember something but it was ages ago I played with sourdough) and then we feed it.
I didn’t really like sourdough for my usual breads (it’s too special for that) and it’s simpler just to keep a piece of my dough for the next time anyway so I do that (I still need yeast that way, just less). It makes my bread tastier but not sour. It drastically improves my keto bread too but of course, it gets significantly carbier (and a bunch of spice improves it similarly. I just need to overpower the slightly bad gluten flavor).

(Bacon by any other name would taste just as great.) #1273

The taste of sourdough and French bread comes from the wild yeast in the air of the kitchen, which is why the traditional recipes for those types of bread don’t call for added yeast. This assumes, of course, that there is enough baking going on to keep the air of the kitchen supplied with yeast—a debatable proposition in a ketogenic household, lol!

A food chemist I dated years ago once explained that for most baked goods, commercial yeast is a necessity, since it is a special variety cultivated for the desired flavour. He said that, while it is possible to keep a batch of commercial yeast going for a while, eventually it will revert to the wild type and your baked goods will start to get that sour flavour. Of course, the sour flavour of wild yeast is also desirable, but not necessarily in birthday cake!

Sorry for this little lecture, but I thought it was the yeast I could do! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Karen) #1274

How much milk? How much buttermilk? Sounds intriguing

You know you’re a ketoer when you’re house bound for three days by an ice storm…and cream cheese is a mere two miles away by foot.

Cheese or death? Hmm.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1277

I make a point never to run out of cream cheese. :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

(KCKO, KCFO) #1279

That is why I always stock up on all the cheeses before a major front is headed our way.

(Jane) #1280

Fill up a pint mason jar with water, microwave until boiling, dump the water and let the jar cool a bit. Add cream or half and half (or half of each) leaving some room ar the top. Add 3 Tbl buttermilk and stir. Let it sit on the counter for 24 hours and you should have think, delicious sour cream!