What did you take a photo of on your walk today? PART 2!

(Doug) #586

First moonflower.

(Jane) #587

Blue morning glory

Some purple ones

(Bacon for the Win) #588

my second pass around this spot there were two turtles but the second one hit the water before I could take a picture.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #589

I don’t know what this is. The stems are 6-7 feet long and covered full-length in bulbs which I presume are going to open into flowers. But only a single flower at the stem top end is in bloom at the moment. This is not far from home so I can keep watch to see how it develops. If anyone knows what this is please let us know. Thanks.

(Jane) #590

Not sure. Looks to be in the Hibiscus/Rose of Sharon family. Pretty!

(Jane) #591

I forgot you are in Canada - too cold for tropical Hibiscus so I am going with a variety of Rose of Sharon (which I think is in the Hibiscus family but cold hardy)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #592

Hollyhock (Alcea rosea)

(Jane) #593

Cool!

Coincidentally my neighbor brought me some hollyhock seeds yesterday along with a gift of a cool wasp trap made of glass. We keep them in fresh eggs so just some thoughtful reciprocation.

My hubby said it takes hollyhocks 2 years to bloom so I need to read up on how to start the seeds, when to transplant, etc.

(KCKO, KCFO) #594

Yes, they are biennial. We grow hollyhocks and fox gloves and they do little first year, you get a wonderful bloom the next, then they are tiny, and if you are really lucky, they bloom again, but the plant is usually not as tall as the it was for the first bloom. We just keep reseeding the area, to keep things moving along.

(Jane) #595

Thanks for the info. So I need to save the seeds every year to have them blooming every year after the first year? Should I start the seeds indoors in pots?

(Jane) #596

I read they are a close family to okra. I can see that - okra grows tall and its yellow flowers do resemble hollyhocks.

(KCKO, KCFO) #597

We lust let the seeds fall to the ground and we always have a few plants that make it through and we can get -20F temps here. I think our winters are more severe than yours, so they should do fine in your area.

Hollyhocks, hibiscus, okra, cacao and rose mallows are all related, in mallow family. Those are some of my favorite things too.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #598

As of Sep 02, 2020. Not much change in a week, however, a lot of buds look like they’re getting close to opening.

(Jane) #599

Sedum starting to bloom

Sugar pie pumpkin

Arbor flowers blooming

Sunpatiens

Rose bush that blooms in round clusters

Last peppers of the season

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #600

(Susan) #601

Oh wow, that is soooo awesome that the three of you got together and had this adventure together, soooo cool =)).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #602

Went to Grouse Mountain yesterday evening. The deer family were rummaging about the patio/rink near the chalet. The bears were in their enclosure and for the longest time didn’t feel like coming out of the trees. But eventually one of them did so.

We went for a little hiking in the weekend. I was pretty lazy with the photos, I just made them smaller and that’s about it… But here they are! We saw a lot of flowers, it seems the English name is autumn crocus, I never knew… The first pic shows cherry tree trunks, they are interesting.

(Butter Withaspoon) #604

I found lots of tiny native orchids on my Saturday walk. It was freezing, almost sleeting
image image image

(Doug) #605

The old homestead. This was a good place to grow up.

Last night’s moon, through a window with a screen behind it.

Inside the barn, looking at the underside of the roof.

In this situation, the camera picks up more of the difference in the light between clouds and a blue sky than does the human eye.