Very serious question to put my mind at ease

(Lucrecia) #121

And now I’m giggling again! Thanks keto sister… and yes, I love the image of all of us muttering over our devices! Language is more important than most people are aware of. :slight_smile:

Virus-free. www.avast.com

(Regina) #122

I have a friend who is a Mrs. Malaprop. I have finally gotten used to hearing about “rotisserary chicken.” And “xpecially.” Today I had to stifle a giggle. She was talking about some club she belongs to and how when they have the past presidents’ honors night she always gets called up to the “diocese.” For a millisecond my brain got confused and I nearly asked her why they were holding their meetings in a church. I thank God I didn’t.

I have another friend who is constantly “blowing her casket.”

I would never dare correct anyone, but yet, if it were me, I would want to be corrected.

(Deborah ) #123

Ha! I totally understand your (NOT you’re!) angst. I am a self-confessed “grammar nazi” and subconsciously proof read everything (including billboards!). A grammatical or spelling error will jump off a page without me even looking for it.

(That’s not to say that I don’t make the occasional typo…)

But seriously, as long as you can get the gist of what people are saying, try to just let it slide.

(Regina) #124

What really bugs me are sign companies that do not proof. Our park has signs requested by the former manager that read: “All perspective tenants must obtain approval of management.” I’ve seen plenty of spelling and grammar errors at other businesses as well.

(Deborah ) #125

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(says mix it up! Let chaos reign!) #126

But how else to make yourself feel better about yourself?

(Regina) #127

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Regina) #128

Ok, so has anybody heard the saying: “That sounds like a pregnant idea.” If it doesn’t exist, what word is the speaker getting pregnant confused with. (Ok, that wasn’t even English, but you get the gist…) Oh, that poor, pregnant speaker.

(Rilly) #129

Just people that don’t know how to spell.

Drives me nuts too.

Don’t think it’s just with Americans though, happens more with smartphones than anything else.

(terry welford) #130

because they can’t spell

(Steve) #131

Not sure if it’s happening elsewhere, but it’s also our education system lowering their standards. In Ontario (Canada), it started in Scarborough (East Toronto) - they started passing kids out of high school that couldn’t read - actually put it in the students rights that they could get any exam given orally. What post secondary learning institution is going to pamper to these kids???
Then we had the schools give up on the entitling parents (“How dare you fail my kid!!!”) - they don’t fail kids anymore…just keep pushing them along.
Add to it all of the competition that’s been taken out of team sports, etc (not keeping score, everyone gets a trophy).

Is it any wonder these illiterate, entitled kids expect the world to just give them everything?

/end rant. :wink:

(Brian) #132

Sometimes, “slips” can be a poke at humor.

I’ve been known to use “flash of intermission” instead of “flash of inspiration” on occasion. Or I might even get a “feeling, deep down in the heart of my bottom”. LOL!! (On purpose, usually trying for a little humor. Sometimes it works, sometimes, well… )

:wink:

(Regina) #133

In my town all the classes are taught in Spanish.

(mags) #134

You will fall foul of social media humour failure :grinning:

I appreciate that spelling or grammar mistakes can be frustrating.
However, we are all here to encourage each other with our Keto journeys.
We all have our areas of strength and areas where we are not as strong as others.
They are never all going to be identical.

As a newbie, I would like to think I could post on here without being judged on extraneous issues.
I’m new. I need you guys. Please don’t make me paranoid about my spelling or grammar. My head is already swirling with all things Keto and I will have a thousand questions down the track.

Let’s just all keto on together.
Please?
For the sake of my poor little brain?
Xx

I imagine this would be a scary post to see if you’re just joining the board. It’s just an aside and nobody is going to openly judge you if you have a typo. Stick around, get educated and be successful.

This. Superior education does not a superior person make. Character is not demonstrated by spelling, but by intent and actions.

Sorry but I haven’t read all the posts to the end, I stopped at this one! @juice that is the nicest thing that I have read on ketogenicforums.com ( and possibly the nicest thing I’ve read you saying - but I’m newish so I’m sure you’ve been nice before this!) I hope I didn’t make any grammatical mistakes? I try my best, not the brightest tool in the box, rubbish at maths but my English isn’t the worst? I just smile when I see loose and their, it doesn’t wind me up, at least I can spell ( mostly):grin:

(Regina) #138

“No problem” versus “You’re welcome.”

:grin:

(says mix it up! Let chaos reign!) #140

No, I probably haven’t :slight_smile: