The Grassroots Movement

conversationstarters
science

(Jennifer) #1

Hi everyone. @richard and @carl are always referring to how this whole thing is a grass roots movement. Since it will be difficult to get the government on board, the energy has to come from us on the ground who are experiencing the change first-hand. I talk about keto all the time to my coworkers. Eventually, a few people started to become curious. Today, I booked a conference room at work during lunch and 9 people showed up. I didn’t try to push keto, I merely explained the science to them, in hopes that they would come to their own conclusions. At the end, I passed out a list of resources… Dr Fung’s books, Gary Taubes books, this forum, 2ketodudes podcast, etc. Then I offered to meet with anyone individually who wanted more info. I honestly was concerned that afterwards they would think I was crazy. But they all seemed interested. At least one of them in the room was T2D. I suppose if I can at least get them to start questioning things, then I’ve done ok. So that was my keto day, encouraging the grass roots movement, and being thankful that I’ve already made the change. Thank you. :slight_smile:

(Deborah ) #2

That’s awesome that you’re taking the time to spread the word!

Great job, Jennifer. I’m proud of you! :+1:

Okay, so I guess it’s time to make a confession. I’ve wanted to do something similar to try and gain interest, in the ketogenic diet, in my area. I created a website, but that’s where it ends.

http://www.ketoamarillo.com

I can create a website, but I have trouble thinking beyond that.

Honestly, I’m not sure what I want to do. I’ve had thoughts of monthly meet-ups (sorry, meat-ups), or just some way to facilitate a keto community here in Amarillo.

Maybe that’s my problem. My thoughts are too broad, and I need to narrow it down.

If you check out the site, you’ll see I have a section for eating keto around town, but the more I do this the more I feel you can pretty much eat keto anywhere, you just have to know what to eat and what to stay away from. So, that doesn’t really seem the challenge I once thought it was.

I’m not a “foody”, so I’m not interested in replicating, like so many other sites, with keto recipes.

I’m just not sure what I want.

As I’ve stated on the about page: “We’re just getting started, so be patient with the development of this site.”, but I feel like this is akin to what you did at work, I just don’t know how to move forward.

Any ideas, forum?

I want you to know I shudder as I type that question, because I know y’all will have some great ideas, I just don’t know what I’ll be comfortable with, or how far I want to take this idea. :grin:

Honestly I’ve thought, maybe someone more creative and outgoing than I am will come along and request the domain name, then I’ll be happy just to give it to them. :wink:

(Jennifer) #4

Hi @dlc96_darren I love this website! What a great idea!! Nice design as well, very modern. I have also considered doing meet-ups, but I wasn’t sure if I would get any interest from the community. I started coaching a few people, but then they report back that they are “mostly keto” which basically means they are eating carbage. :unamused: The talk I did I hope at the very least gets people thinking about what they are doing to themselves. No ideas from the forum yet? I’m curious about what others might be doing in their own towns/workplaces/etc to spread the word.

:joy:

I can’t take credit for that. I’ve seen it around here several times. :grin:

Yeah, I don’t know what I’m doing, but it would have to be people already interested in keto, and function more as a support group, I guess.

But the more important question, is this necessary in my area, or are there already people doing something like this, I’m just not aware of?

Or rather, the point of the website is to get people in the area to reach out to us and start connecting that way. We’ll see.

Obviously, I’ve got too many questions, and not enough answers. :wink:

Thanks!

Again, I’m pretty apprehensive about doing something like this, but your thread has emboldened me. :+1:

(Jane ) #6

I actually found a KEto Meet up near me North of Boston. They meet next week. I keep saying someone should invent a Keto Weight Watchers. I did like the weekly meeting and community. I think we are looking for our tribe… are they out there or do we need to start from scratch. I will let you know what the meetup was like.

Jane, how did you find out about this meet up?

(Jane ) #8

I just went to the Meetup site and typed in Keto!