Started a Ketogenic Diet 14-10-2018

(Matthew) #61

There was discussion in another thread about Google and You tube search results giving continuous echo chamber material and seldom information opposing one’s perceived opinion. Ironically, soon after contributing to this discussion I received the video below in my You tube which is counter-opinion to all my pro-Keto videos. I’m finding it quite informative so far as I watch it this afternoon. One thing, I will be doing as a result of seeing this is cutting down on my protein intake in my diet starting from today.

Ketosis v. Plant-Based - Diet Wars with Cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrCaG2gT2Vg

Has anyone else seen this video and what was your your opinion of it? Did it make you doubt the perceived benefits, or aspects of the Keto diet or did it only reinforce your desire to continue with Keto?
Cheers.

(Matthew) #62

It looks like my thread is losing interest rapidly…

I’ll get over it in a couple of years. :wink:

I have a question for anyone reading. Are all aromatic teas safe to drink on Keto and even during fasting? I have a fruit fusion tea i’m drinking and was wondering if it could be detrimental on the diet and during my fasting.

Cheers

(Empress of the Unexpected) #63

Oh gosh, I totally forgot to comment on the video. That was a long sucker, I made it 3/4 through. At first I was bored out of my mind, as nobody seemed to be saying anything. Then the anti-keto campaign started. As always, the vegans were characterizing keto as high protein. Yes, disturbing on the surface to hear such views as protein causes aging, but I kept reminding myself: “Yes, keto causes aging and death of cancer cells, revs up mitochondrial function, etc.” You want to jump through the screen and wring necks. I just watched a fascinating video by d’Agostino, who is participating in research with the Navy SEALs and NASA. And what’s his name said there is no scientific basis for keto. Guess NASA and the SEALs are just dumb… Premature aging, huh? Well, I don’t think it is a coincidence that I have blood values of a much younger person. I just really hate for this to be seen as a political issue, though I was unaware until this forum that the vegans were such a vociferous group. I am only just learning that it is seen as us vs. them. I find that very disturbing - actually insulting. I will finish the video tomorrow - I have the feeling it gets more intense.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #64

Sorry, not a tea drinker, but here is my contribution to the thread:

https://blog.virtahealth.com/videos-conference-science-carbohydrate-restriction-ketosis/

Hours of fascinating videos. NASA, navy SEALs, cancer, anti-aging, every keto subject under the sun, complete with experts.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #65

Can’t wait for Tuesday - hope you will be comfortable sharing your blood results with us.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #66

I’m a 5ft 4 inch woman who is NOW 113 pounds, and I plan on staying keto for life, with the odd meal here and there!

(Matthew) #67

Regina, I too only made it about 3/4 or 4/5 of the way through. The reason being it goes way off track on other promotional related material or something of that nature.

You mentioned the ‘us and them’ mentaility ie Vegans vs Keto. I didn’t glean that so much from this video. However, this video does refer to Cardiologist Joel Kahn’s previous debate at Google talks. Now that was an eye opener.
Here it is here:
Ideal diet - Google talk

Now, this ‘Ideal diet’ debate really becomes embittered and embroiled at times. Kip Andersen spoke like your typical vegan virtue signalling, moral exhibitionist radical idealogue. Totally dismissive and condescending throughout.

I think when your diet converts to a political ideology rather than a science and factual based health and nutritional dietary choice, that’s when you know things are getting out of hand. But that’s just my opinion as much as I do care about the environment.

Personally, I am still be very speculative about the benefits of the Keto diet, not so much about low carb diets. Why? It seems Keto requires a very delicate balancing of getting the Fat and Protein ratios correct which was illuminated in the above Plant vs Keto video. Not to mention the supplementation of electrolytes which is being constantly reevaluated depending on the individual. For those reasons, I am still very wary. However when people disclose their blood test result improvements like your good self, I hold out hope we might be onto a good thing. I just have to get my protein portions down. That is what I’m certain of; unless perhaps if I’m doing massive huge cardio workouts like I did today. That’s where it’s foggy for me, how to adjust the diet and ratios with moderate to high exercise.

(Matthew) #68

I’ll have a look at some of that later on tonight. Thank you Regina for the link.

(Matthew) #69

You know I quoted that from the 1st Keto dudes podcast right?

How could you not want to change from Keto diet when it has been so beneficial to your health? Kudos to you! :clap:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #70

They purposely make keto seem hard. As you read through the forums, you will see, again and again: Carbs low, eat enough protein, and then, if you are still hungry, round out with fat. The diet they are talking about is the medical protocol diet, say for epilepsy. There, the portions have to be exact. For weight loss and general health, just follow the above. I do track, but I tend to eat the same thing, but at every meal, a little of each macro. Today, bacon, salad, blue cheese dressing. Dinner, pork chop, broccoli in butter with avocado. Today my BG was 96 and my ketone level was 1.9. Sounds like it’s working. And my perfect blood………

(Empress of the Unexpected) #71

What types of carbs do you want more of? I’m at six months, so can add more carbs in - however carbs do lower my ketone levels. I’ve been on both sides of the fence. I was a vegetarian for 7 years, and my cholesterol was much higher. But I love meat too much. So Keto absolutely works for me.

(Running from stupidity) #72

I made it zero percent of the way though, due to it having “Joel Kahn” in the title :slight_smile:

(Matthew) #73

I will share them, but I can definitely wait for Tuesday hehe
I fear the results will be very poor given my 44 years of poor diet, 22 years of binge drinking and smoking. I don’t think 2 and half weeks on Keto will wipe my slate clean haha

These results are my preliminary exam to see where I am health wise commencing Keto. The big ones will be after the 3 or 4 month trial period on Keto. If no improvement, I’ll have to go back to the drawing board.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #74

Kudos to Keto! 20 pounds off a 60 year old menopausal woman!!! Without any pain (except when our neighbor Rosa brings us her famous home made tamales!!) A few times a year, I eat mostly (mostly) the insides, put on water weight, go back on keto, pee every five minutes the next day, and then I’m where I was before. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #75

It gives you a baseline, right?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #76

I have no idea who the vegan people are. They are kinda beneath my notice. I was a vegetarian for 7 years, but that is worlds apart…I did it because my husband at the time was Jewish and neither of us wanted to do traditional kosher - so we did cheat kosher. And that was back in the day when Loma Linda sold canned veggie dogs which we poured spaghetti sauce over. That, bread and cheese.

(Matthew) #77

As a newbie and someone who doesn’t have a nutritional background, I believe it’s pretty hard to get the ratios right. It’s constant tinkering and then and only then you’re just hoping you’re in the ‘ball-park’.

Yeh, it looks like you have nailed this diet and I like the sound of your meals today. I appreciate your comparatively simple advice too.

I had one large meal at 1000am (huge salad and a brew with a steak rib) and another at 3.30pm (A stirfry of Mainly Pork fats with various Keto friendly veges). That’s it. Oh and 2 coffees (1 after each meal) and now tea aromatic.
I take photos of every one of my meals.
Brew%20and%20Salad
Pork%20fat%20Stirfry

The latter is the leftover of today’s lunch…Ill probably eat it for breakky tomorrow.

(Matthew) #78

This made me laugh, but why are you so adverse to him if I may ask… apart from that you don’t agree with his dietary opinions. Or is it just that?

(Running from stupidity) #79

I despise the way he behaves, basically, and his lack of intelligent debating skills.

(Matthew) #80

Haha, I used to eat those tomales on weekends like they were going out of style. Here in Colombia they are a hugely popular weekend dish.

It sounds like you should be a poster girl of the Keto diet! How long have you been on it again?