Started a Ketogenic Diet 14-10-2018

(Running from stupidity) #41

Yep, the early ones are really useful.

(Laurie) #42

At my Costco in Canada I get 2.3 kg organic virgin coconut oil for $17 Canadian (approx $13 US, and itā€™s probably actually cheaper in the US). So I guess where you are itā€™s still considered a specialty food, and you pay accordingly.

You donā€™t need to use coco oil. Butter and olive oil should be enough. And lard if itā€™s available.

Wow, youā€™re really getting into this. :smiley:

(Chris) #43

Thatā€™s a really long title to just say ā€˜ketoā€™ lolā€¦

(Matthew) #44

To quote from the first video:

ā€˜This diet is a corrective diet for people like us who have insulin resistance, who have been diagnosed prediabetes. this is the corrective diet. So if you are a 5ft 4 inch 110 pound woman who wants to take off 3 pounds, this is not the diet you should be looking for.ā€™

My understanding was this diet could help anyone whether they were of excess weight and prediabetes or not. This throws a bit of a spanner in the works. Tomorrow, I have a medical check up and Iā€™m going to get a bunch of blood tests to see if I fall in the prediabetes category. Although, my weight is optimum for my height I would be surprised me if I wasnā€™t diagnosed prediabetes because of my history of drinking.

Even if the results come back all hunky dory Iā€™ll probably stay with it for 3 months to see how I feel with this new gasoline in the body.

(Matthew) #45

Despite wanting to cut down on the protein amount, I would still consider what Iā€™m doing more of a modified Keto - Carnivore diet. Iā€™m slamming down the meat buddy.

(Matthew) #46

Yeah Laurie, looks look Iā€™m paying way too much. I will just continue with the butter and virgin olive oil.

(Matthew) #47

Update - 2 weeks down with the Modified Keto - Carnivore diet

Hi everyone,

I hope this message finds everyone well and ready to tackle the new week. As always. I would appreciate any advice you might have regarding my updated dietary program below. I have also added images below of example meals I have prepared over the last 2 weeks:

Firstly, I should preface by saying that I caved in past Friday and drunk 10 Miller Lite Beers. I think they have 3,2 carbs per beer and zero sugar. Even so, yehā€¦I know I screwed up.

Besides that, I have been strict in following the modified diet. 2 major meals a day 9am and 3 pm, and a 4pm snack attack to conclude my eating period (Snack attack - Cheese, 2 tablespoons of assorted nuts, 1 small piece of sugar free chocolate, small chunk of avocada).

Tomorrow morning, Iā€™m off to get bloodwork done. I will compare these results to another bunch I will get after 3/4 month trial on this diet.

Ok, this is the diet I have settled into. Iā€™m still not sure if I have the right ratio of Fats to Protein, but those more knowledgeable with the Keto diet will know if I have based on what I describe below:

• No sugar or the barest incidental minimum, minimum carbs (well only healthy ones).

• Fats (2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 table spoon of coconut oil every meal. Additional fat for salads: 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of Caesar Salad dressing and 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise per salad serving)
    From the pan I pour the remaining fat on my principal meat or fish and even drink it from the plate if there is excess fat after I have consumed my meal.

Electrolytes. I add a total of 1 tablespoon of salt to the meals per day and various condiments for flavouring of meats. I just added a multivitamin supplement for electrolytes. Calcium - Magnesium - Zinc and Vitamin D. 1 tablet daily.

Breakfast this morning 9 am: Trout, zuchinis and mushrooms, cup of black coffee. I alternate this with 4 eggs on other days, can of tuna on other days.

Lunch example 1: Pork and salad

Lunch example 2: Bolognese Sauce. See recipe Ket recipe here:
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ur5RxADp8&t=311s] Keto Meat Sauce

Lunch Example 3: Chicken Salad

Thank you for reading and as always welcome any comments or suggestions you might have.

(Laurie) #48

Nice photos!

Donā€™t beat yourself up about the beers. I cheated a lot when I started out (but with food, not alcohol). It takes a while to figure it all outā€“including social pressures, and associating certain times, emotions, or events with food or drink.

Interesting to see the label for the electrolyte powder. Iā€™ve read about other people taking it, but now I see that I already take all that stuff (Ca, Mg, Zn, Vit D), and in similar quantities.

(Matthew) #49

Nice to know Iā€™m not the only one to have cheated, but I prefer your style of cheating over mine. Alcohol = very very bad lol.
So far Iā€™ve handled the social pressures well. When I have people over to my house they normally eat what I eat and they like it. For example, I have a Venezuelan friend Iā€™m looking after at the moment because of the crises and sheā€™s happy to down my bolognese sauce which I posted above.

The multivitamin supplement above comes in capsules rather than powder. I just figured 1 tablet a day in those vitamins could assist me in the early days.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #50

As for as l remember they changed their minds about it. Thatā€™s a quote from some earlier show and after cooperating with Dr Meghan Ramos some assumptions were updated

(Matthew) #51

Oh I see. Well for me it comes to down to blood tests. If there are signs of improvements after 3 months then it is a diet worth pursuing, if not then then I need to look at something else. The difficulty relating to this diet I presume is getting the Fat - Protein ratios right. Have you had your blood tested before and after a trial period? Did you have whatā€™s considered an ā€˜acceptableā€™ weight to heightā€™ ratio when you commenced on the diet - if you donā€™t mind me asking?

(Joanna Parszyk ) #52

When l started ( 6 years ago, now lā€™m just for health benefits and how amazing it makes me feel in my own body plus non emotional attitude towards food). I was in still ā€œhealthyā€ BMI but the very high end. Once l started burning my fat tissue like crazy my cholesterol shy rocketed (it is normal, particles of your own fat is circulating in your blood stream and influences the results).
After few months everything went to absolute normal

(Matthew) #53

Wow six years is a long time! Of course it must be just second nature to you. Itā€™s interesting you mentioned your cholesterol, because I suspect my cholesterol will be through the roof when I get my blood done. Couldnā€™t go this morning unfortunately. Do you remember if your Triglyceride results were also adversely effected in the beginning until things tapered down back to normal?

An aside, you mentioned how amazing it makes you feel in your body. I heard on a video about Keto that when you are running on fat in place of carbs, that your body under physical duress (for example with exercise) will have an eclectic, circular way of retrieving this energy from your body to perform an activity. However, when running on carbs your muscles will just access the carbs right there in the muscles. So it has a more explosive direct impact effect, if you like.

Now I donā€™t know how much of that is true or even if I explained the difference correctly. So please chime in to correct me.

However, what I found interesting this afternoon during my Kundalini Yoga workout is when I had to dig really deep, doing some long duration repetitive movements I eventually found a second wind and I was able to keep going. Previously, I had stopped exhausted during that segment.
It was as though the energy was coming from somewhere deeper, indirectly to allow me to harness energy that hadnā€™t been there before. Not unlike how I described the way the body uses Fat differently when under physical duress. So I perhaps didnā€™t have that direct explosive energy like I did on carbs and then peter out quickly. Instead, I was able to receive energy from the wells of God knows where and just keep going.

I would like to know if this description of energy retrieval and expenditure is consistent with other peopleā€™s experiences under physical duress on the Keto diet? Thanks.

(Carl Keller) #54

I am in the US and it cost me anywhere from $11.99 to $14.99.

@Matthew44 Make sure you get lots of water (2 liters) and salt (2 teaspoons+) in your daily intake. LIght headedness hit me too a few times, but uping my salt and water made it go away. During Keto you need more salt than before. Much of the processed crap we ate and drank had plenty of salt in itā€¦ and now that we eat better, salt is not as present in the things we eat.

(Matthew) #55

Yes Iā€™m doing that. Thank you

(Joanna Parszyk ) #56

I think they were fine before and after even lower. Thatā€™s why my GP didnā€™t freak out too much about the cholesterol.

(Matthew) #57

I havenā€™t had blood tests for so long. I just got back from having mine taken and will get the results Tuesday next week. My two main concerns are my Triglyceride and cholesterol (although there seems to be some controversy about the latter regarding its inference of cardiovascular disease).

(Matthew) #58

Iā€™m not trying to hijack my own thread, really. Hehe. But Iā€™m surprised noone has commented about this. The longer description is a few posts up above. Cheers.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #59

My trigs went from 209 to 138 after six months on keto. Hope to get them even lower next year. HDL went up from 61 to 67. Keto seems to be really good at lowering trigs and raising HDL. The ratio of those two numbers should ideally be under two, and if so, is very heart-protective.

(Matthew) #60

Those are wonderful results Regina. Congratulations. I hope I see such marked improvements in mine as a result of the Keto diet. Cheers.