Short Ribs, ONE ingredient

(Brenda Zorn) #1

This recipe has one ingredient. Short ribs.

(Four if you include the optional mushrooms sautéed in ghee, and salt to season after cooking.)

Here are “baby bellas”. Small portobello mushrooms. Slice. Fry lightly in ghee just before plating your short ribs.

Short ribs. These weighed 2.5 pounds total.

Preheat your oven to 225* Fahrenheit. Fry short ribs on all sides on medium high heat to brown. Stay attentive. This only takes a few minutes. Do not walk away! I know where you live.

Fit the short ribs into your cast iron Dutch oven. You’ll need a lid.

Bake covered 5 HOURS. Yes FIVE. This is KEY.
When the five hours are up…
Close the curtains and lock the doors.
Remove and reveal your culinary perfection to yourself. Hover over it greedily and growl menacingly.

Plate your masterpiece. Don’t share. This is yours.

Season only with salt. I recommend kosher flaked salt, not any of that pink or smoked shit. Get a salt box, cuz it’s cool. Ask @Terri.

Bask in the glory that is your victorious meat perfection. This one ingredient recipe is impossible to fuck up.

First person to ask me if I add water or spices to the pot gets their ass kicked.

One ingredient means ONE INGREDIENT.
How’d ya like to get smacked upside the head with a cast iron skillet? I own several. Don’t tempt me.

Enjoy. The meat cooked alone in its own juices low and slow concentrates the beef flavor until it becomes meat candy. So good, I compare it to the degree of delight a slab of rare prime rib brings me.

One more thing. If I hear you threw out the short rib drippings in the pot you’re dead. I mean it. Save that savory nectar for keto gravy (buy some xanthan gum for thickening), use it to cook lean cuts of beef, just figure something out because tossing it is criminal and forbidden in ketoville.
I’m watching you…

Short ribs - need recipe
What did you Keto today?

Nice post! Love me some of those. I’ve always braised them. I’ll have to try this.

(AnnaLeeThal) #3

I love that this recipe:

1.) looks fucking delicious.

2.) is sprinkled with a good helping of threats.

(Bacon for the Win) #4

I am going to do this tomorrow with some pork ribs I took out of the freezer. Didn’t know what I was going to do with them until now.

(What The Fast?!) #5

@Brenda Think I could throw these in the instant pot instead of a dutch oven? If so, would I add any liquid? I’m new to instant pot-ing. @Devhammer I believe you’ve used your IP for short ribs. I saw your post but didn’t know how long or if you need to add liquid. Also…you mention gravy with the drippings…I’ll be trying that ASAP.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #6

Yes, I have. I’m still learning, but it’s hard (in my experience) to go too far wrong with the IP.

The usual pattern is to put the IP on Saute mode add some oil or animal fat, and sear the meat (season first as desired) on all sides. Next, add some liquid (I like to use chicken or beef bone broth if I have it on hand), enough to keep the meat from drying out, and use the meat setting to cook the ribs under pressure (the IP instructions may be helpful in terms of time, or you could grab a recipe from their site).

Once the pressure cooking is done, release the pressure, set aside the meat, and put the IP back on Saute. use a wooden spoon or scraper to scrape off the browned bits from searing the meat, and simmer the drippings/broth to reduce. I like to add some butter and/or heavy cream for more flavor. Sour cream can also help with thickening to more of a gravy, as can a little (don’t add too much at a time) xanthan gum.

(What The Fast?!) #7

Thanks! When you say “enough to not dry out,” does that mean like a half cup, or like 2 cups?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #8

Depends. Different cuts of meat might require more or less.

At a minimum, I’d want enough to make sure the bottom of the IP is covered, and that boiling the liquid to create the pressure (without liquid, I don’t think the IP will seal). Having more liquid probably won’t hurt anything. At most, enough to submerge the meat.

Worst case with too much liquid is you end up with a lot more gravy than you need. In which case, you save it to use with other stuff. :smiley:

(Jim Russell) #9

If I recall correctly, instapot recommends at least 1/2 cup of liquid to generate the pressure for the pressure cooking.

I’ll have to dig through my freezer to see if I have any short ribs. This looks really good.

(What The Fast?!) #10

I made the short ribs last night. They turned out pretty bad…will try again. They were chewy instead of tender. To salvage the situation, I added some beef broth and water to the drippings and bones, then cooked for another hour in the instant pot. Forgot
To add ACV, but oh well. Here’s the result. Serious tallow + bone broth.

Here I took the tallow off the top and will save it to cook with!

This is tallow right? I don’t what to call it but I bet it will be delicious.

(Sheri Knauer) #11

Oh man. I gotta try this real soon First i need to get me a cast iron dutch oven.

(Brenda Zorn) #12

Yes. Beef fat is tallow.

(Sheri Knauer) #13

Do you think it would work in a non cast iron pan/dutch oven? I don’t have cast iron pan large enough to accommodate the short ribs.

(Ernest) #14

@Sheri_Knauer works in any pan that can handle an oven. Cast iron works best because it holds heat nicely. Like an oven inside an oven.

(Ernest) #15

Beef short ribs and oxtail, two of my favorite meats.
I will take beef short ribs over a steak any day.

(Jennifer) #16

Those look amazing - I’ll look out for some next time I hit the store.

I kinda do the same thing with chuck roast. Only thing I add is some lipton onion soup mixed in a 1/2 to a cup of water.

(betsy.rome) #17

@Brenda - seriously, no black pepper? (…ducking and running)

@ everyone - A local dollar-type discount store has Emeril’s version of a pressure cooker pot for $60. Would that be like an Instant Pot?

(Brenda Zorn) #18

And quit putting black pepper on my fuckin’ ribs!!!

I’m seriously considering going to buy a cast iron dutch oven tomorrow just to make these ribs.

(Ernest) #20

HAHAHA!! But those need black pepper, seriously. Put some on.