Remarkable weight loss but unshakable Keto constipation issues

weightloss

(Karen Sharkey) #21

Thanks for the advice, Momof5! I’m not eating much coconut oil, so that’s probably not it. Today’s my 15th day since starting Keto, and I still feel pretty bad. No energy, very little appetite (good!), and just generally yucky feeling. I lost a bit of weight at first, but now I seem to be gaining. I have strictly followed the diet, but don’t know how long I can keep this up, feeling so rotten. :weary:

(Susan) #22

I know that everyone’s body is different. I am on a stall at the moment. Not that this will work for you but this is what I am trying:

Eating two meals a day, one at 1pm, one a bit before 5pm, so that I can do 20 hours a day of no eating, 4 hours where I eat twice, lunch and supper, no snacking. This is called IF (Intermittent Fasting) it is very popular in the Keto lifestyle, and on the forum.

All I am allowing myself to eat during these meals is protein, and a bit of vegetables.

I just broke a 43 hour fast (I only drank water during that time) you don’t need to worry about doing this stuff yet, as you are just new to Keto, fasting is part of my routine but I am just going to explain about my eating.

For lunch I had 2 fried eggs (I flipped them so no runny stuff as no bread so now on Keto I flip). I fried them in some organic, extra virgin olive oil. I also had a can of smoked oysters (that I drained, sat in vinegar, then rinsed with water).

For supper I will eat at 4:45 or so so I can have a no eating window of 5pm today until 1pm tomorrow. During that time all I will have is water, salt, green tea or herbal tea, plain or with a splash of unsweetened Vanilla flavoured Almond Milk.

For supper I will have 2 salmon steaks, and a small spinach salad (spinach, some bacon bits, a few small cut up pieces of broccoli and cauliflower, some avocado mayonnaise and olive oil). My husband will eat all that but with his salad dressing and some rice I made some last night, so I can just heat that up for him, (he is not Keto nor are any of my kids).

I drink about 2 litres or more of water a day.

I am personally doing 72 hour fasts from Thursday at 4pm until Sunday at 4pm but I am not suggesting you do this at all yet, later on when you are further in your journey, you might want to incorporate fasting too =).

I really hope that you can get your bowel movements stabilized, that is certainly not fun! You probably have what is called Keto Flu, which is your body reacting to all the carb withdrawal. This is annoying I know, but it will pass. Good luck, if you have any questions, just ask =). This is the friendliest forum on the internet =) and we all want to help you meet your goals.

(Karen Sharkey) #23

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I’m already kind of fasting, because I haven’t much of an appetite so I just eat when hungry. This morning I was up at 6 and had diarrhea 4 times by 9. Sigh. I’m not getting anything done because I feel so crappy. I guess this “flu” is lasting longer for me than most (three weeks now) because I was such a carb eater before (mainly potatoes and bread). For breakfast/lunch today I had two eggs scrambled with cheese and bacon. Tonight I plan to have “crustless pizza” with ground turkey, cheese, olives, and salsa. At least I don’t have any cravings. Frankly, as soon as my blood sugar comes down and I lose a bit of weight, I will be off Keto. It’s too hard on me. After this it will be portion control and whole grains.

(Susan) #24

It sounds like you are already doing 2 meals a day, so this is great. Try to be consistent on the times if you can maybe like 12pm and 6pm so daily you have 18 hours of no food, this will help your body lose weight better =).

If you can, try not to snack between the two meals as well. If it is too early for you to stop that, try to just have something like some low carb vegetables or some cheese, or an avocado.

We cannot have grains on Keto though, they are carbs.Basic keto is 20 grams of carbs a day, NO Sugar, some protein and fats, and lots of water. Grains are a no no on Keto. I know they are hard to give up, but this might be why you are having the BM issues if you are still having too many carbs.

(KWM) #25

5 Keto Mistakes You Should Avoid And Other Tips For Beginners

You mau find some tips in the video or in the links.
MWK

(Karen Sharkey) #26

No, I am not eating any grains now. That’s what I plan to eat once I have achieved my goals and no longer need to be on the Keto diet. When I snack, now, which isn’t very often, I usually eat a piece of cheese, some nuts, or some celery.

(Susan) #27

Okay, that is great, sorry I misunderstood what you meant! I was just wanting to make sure you weren’t eating them when on Keto was all =).

(Karen Sharkey) #28

But I AM on Keto; I was talking about when I am off of it. This is meant to be a short-term diet until I get my sugar under control. I don’t believe in drastic diets, but my doctor recommended that I try this for several months to lower my blood sugar. Then I can go on a regular diet of whole grains, fruits, and veggies, focusing on portion control. :blush:

(hottie turned hag) #29

I fear this shall not end well…:neutral_face:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #30

15 months and I can relate - I ate high-fat for years with no issues - so for me it is the lack of carbs.

I have constipation issues when I eat cheese, so maybe certain foods are causing constipation?

(Susan) #32

Sorry I re-worded how I said it, I know you are and you are doing great. I meant to say how I re-worded it =). I would suggest that even if you don’t do Keto per se afterwards, that you continue to never eat Sugar again, it is the most dangerous thing =). If you stay away from it, even after, that will be healthier.

Good luck with all your weight loss =).

(Karen Sharkey) #33

Blue Violet—I am determined to make this work, especially after Keto. I can only hope that you’re not right, that it WILL end well. :blush:

(Karen Sharkey) #34

I’ve never been a big sugar person—I’m more into salt. So I think that won’t pose too much of a problem. Thanks for your encouragement!

(Give me bacon, or give me death.) #35

Every body is different, so it’s hard to give advice. Keto should help with the irritable bowel, so it would be to your benefit if you could get through this.

It is probably just a stage, as your bowel bacteria adjust, but one thing to look at is how much vegetable oil you’re consuming. Switch from the so-called “healthy” seed oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, soy, corn, cottonseed, etc.), which are all high in infalmmatory polyunsaturated fats, to the solid cooking fats, butter, tallow, lard, and bacon grease. You can also use the fruit oils—avocado, coconut, and olive—since their PUFA content, while higher, is still low. Also, don’t eat fat for fat’s sake, just enough to satiate your hunger.

Another thing to check is salt intake. The sweet spot for maximal health is 10-15 grams (2-3 U.S. teaspoons) of table salt (sodium chloride) a day, including salt already present in food. Too much salt can cause diarrhea, just as too little can cause constipation.

Also, cheese is supposed to bind people up. I don’t know if that’s true, but cheese is a lot tastier than Pepto-Bismol and the like. :smile:

The more you eat whole, real foods and the more you stay away from anything manufactured (traditional processed meats, such as bacon and sausage, and traditional fermented foods, such as yoghurt and cheese, are okay—assuming minimal additives, etc.), the better off your digestion will be. Good luck!

(Karen Sharkey) #36

Paul L — thanks for the advice! I’m not eating much bacon and staying away from frying anything but eggs—in butter. So no oils except some extra virgin olive oil on occasion. I’m hoping this is just because I was so low-fat and high carbs before. Lots of cheese, though, I have to admit.

(Susan) #37

What @BlueViolet means and she is totally right, if you go off Keto once you have lost the weight, you will just gain it all back. Keto is a lifestyle, not a diet, you have to keep with it for it to keep working.

No sugar, keeping low carbs. If you want to have a cheat day once in a while… like birthday, Christmas, etc. then that will happen sometimes, but when you are done the special day, fast after for a few days, no food, to get your body back on track.

I am hoping and thinking that by the time you have been on Keto long enough, all your cravings for the Carbage will disappear, like it has for many of us, then you will want to be just Keto anyway =).

The weight will come back way faster then it went off if you just go back to eating carbs is the point.

(Suzi Jenkins) #38

Wow.

I am sure I have no information to help you, but I too was very worried about this aspect starting out. I am eating less veggies that I was pre-keto, in order to make room for meat and fat. But I am surprised that I have experienced no change in terms of bathroom visits, which honestly I was expecting.

I am sure that huge water consumption is a help. I live in a hot country so drinking a lot is a thing, but I do believe that at least 2 litres a day might help if you are below that now.

Good luck!

Magnesium citrate gave me the runs really bad. I had to switch to Magnesium Bysglycinate. We all have to experiment to see what works best for us I think.

(Susan) #40

Welcome to the forum, Johnny =).

You are so right about experimenting with our bodies to see what works best for us.