Fairly self-explanatory title, but I feel like some context might be helpful.
In January 2019, I started my keto journey. I was at a high of 69.2 kg with 19% body fat (according to my smart scales, which are admittedly of questionable reliability). By April 2019, I was at a low of 58.2 kg and 11% body fat. I was absolutely astounded by how effortlessly I was losing weight, and actually wondering how I could edit my diet to stop losing weight. (Not too many diets can lay claim to this issue!)
And then, unexpectedly, disaster. Long story short, I was painfully constipated for three days and ended up going to the emergency department at hospital being (basically) unable to function. Thankfully they flushed me out. Curiously, the nurse who assisted me was also on a keto diet, and recommended fibre supplementation and drinking lots of water.
However, my parents were worried, and advised me to go off keto for a period of time. I didn’t go nuts on carbs (kept below 100g or so) and I didn’t consume any processed foods, except oats. In terms of carb-heavy foods, I consumed 1/2 cup of oats per day, as well as higher-carb fruit and veggies like apples, carrots, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. However, I slowly started to put weight on again, and I’m currently at 61kg. Realising this about a month ago (June), I decided to slowly reduce my carb intake again.
I finally feel like my weight is under control (based on a week of data), but I’ve started to feel constipated again. I’m still passing one or two bowel motions per day, but they’re hard work. By contrast, when my dietician put me on a low-FODMAP diet, my bowel motions were near-effortless. And I certainly don’t want another emergency room disaster.
I feel like I’m doing all the right things by keto:
- Eating enough green veggies (five serves per day, often up to eight or nine)
- Drinking 2-3L water per day
- Ample magnesium supplementation (3.75g of chelated magnesium = 600mg of elemental magnesium per day)
- 3 tablespoons of MCT oil per day (poured onto meat-and-veg stew)
- 5g of psyllium husk per day (sprinkled onto meat-and-veg stew)
- Ample nuts (almond butter, macadamias, brazil nuts) and seeds (chia, flax)
Current foods that are higher in carbs:
- 10-15g oats per day (6 - 9g carbs)
- 1 punnet raspberries per day (5g carbs)
- (Sometimes) 1 packed pre-chopped carrot sticks per day (7.5g carbs)
- 20-40g nut butter per day (2-4g carbs)
TL;DR: I’m on keto and I’ve experienced amazing results that I don’t want to lose, but it keeps making me constipated and I don’t know what to do!