Ready to Throw in the Towel

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #64

Yeah, I’m firmly in the abuse category. Obviously, several of my daily cups of coffee need to be traded in for tea or water. I need to get better sleep. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

(Ellenor Malik (Mrs Butter Mayo)) #65

The Friedewald equation (and for hypercholesterolemiacs with low triglycerides, the Ahmadi equation if your doctor isn’t dumb) is how they work out a calculated LDL from triglycerides and HDL. You’ve given us LDL and HDL, from which one can run a reverse Friedewald/Ahmadi equation - a ‘solve for x’ type of deal - to decode your triglycerides.

(Marianne) #66

Keep coming back to that - you will break your stall.

(traci simpson) #67

Well, I’ve lowered my protein intake and actually have lost about 5 - 6 pounds!

(Susan) #68

Wow, nice, Traci, grats!!

(Ilana Rose) #69

Yah, if I have more than 75 grams of protein a day it affects my hunger and I end up eating much more over the following 12 hrs or so. Unrendered beef fat has the opposite effect. A small amount with a few pork rinds and I can be satiated all day.

(Patrick L Anderson) #70

Yes, protein should be moderated. It doesn’t add any significant rise to blood glucose but it can spike insulin which makes it hard to lose weight.

(traci simpson) #71

I wish I’d found that out two months ago!

(Ilana Rose) #72

It’s one of my biggest issues with the advice frequently given to newbies here. Standard keto advice is moderate protein. Telling people not to worry about overeating protein may work for some but sets up a great many for early failures, in my opinion, especially those who don’t have a lot of fat to lose. And not everyone is like you and sticks to a diet that fails them for months before they manage to piece together for themselves what the problem is.

That’s not been my experience at all. If I don’t eat sufficient protein, I don’t stop being hungry. A lot of people say the same thing. Also, while I do think people need to find the right amount of protein for them, lots of people, especially older people are under-eating protein. While standard keto advice is “moderate” protein, that doesn’t equate to “low protein.” Most of the formulas for estimating protein intake, put the average person at least 50% higher than the RDA, often quite a lot higher. While eating protein will cause insulin to rise, describing that as a “spike” is a little misleading. If you’re going to eat, you’re going to have some normal blood glucose and insulin response to that. As Amy Berger says:

Protein elevates insulin, which lowers blood glucose, but thankfully glucagon is there to tell the liver to release a bit of glucose, thus keeping your BG steady. (I say elevates insulin because I refuse to use the word “spikes,” because protein does raise insulin and BG, but these relatively small and totally physiologically NORMAL rises hardly qualify as “spikes.” And any rise in insulin and BG from protein—even a low-fat protein, such as cottage cheese, skinless chicken, or whey protein—is nothing compared to those most people would see from, say, cotton candy or sugar cubes.)

See: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html

(Tove Reiman) #74

I don’t know what this means? Can someone explain it to me?

(Libby) #75

Cortisol is a chemical we make when we are stressed. Too much cortisol is blamed for a bunch of stuff but mainly for making us apple-shaped. Oxytocin is a chemical we make when we hug the ones we love and/or hold our newborn babies. Not too sure about DHA. Do we make it? On a multiple choice test I’d guess no. Omega 3’s, from a cursory google search.

(Susan) #76

I think I must have tonsssss of this…

(Tove Reiman) #77

RIGHT? :smiley:

(Susan) #78

This is maybe why I have stayed at this weight for over 2 months, when I have tried everything to break the stall… still trying.

Cannot remove the stressful things though, just have to learn to cope with them, haha.

(Give me bacon, or give me death.) #79

DHA stands for “docosohexanoic acid.” And now you know as much as you did before!

Seriously, though, it’s a polyunsaturated fatty acid of the ω-3 type, and very useful in the brain and elsewhere in the body. It occurs in animal foods, but can be made from other ω-3 fatty acids.

(Susan) #80

You are so clever at all this very complex scientific stuff, Paul, you should have gone to medical school, and then would make a great Keto Doctor =). After all, we all know that there are not enough of them!

(Jennibc) #81

Recent research into ‘stress’ indicates that cortisol is only harmful when it’s not accompanied by other hormones. Our bodies produce cortisol and the other hormones based on what we are telling ourselves during stressful events.That was a typo above - it’s DHEA which stands for dehydroepiandrosterone. If you tell yourself something like - “this racing heart is getting me ready for action” vs. "oh my god, what a catastrophe’ your body will produce DHEA in addition to cortisol and then cortisol doesn’t wreak havoc with your system. This is a simplified explanation of a complex process. But if you read, “The Upside of Stress” she explains it very well.

(Jennibc) #82

Sorry, that was a typo. It was supposed to say DHEA.

(Give me bacon, or give me death.) #83

Dehydroepiandrosterone—that’s a mouthful! I’ve heard of it but know nothing of what it does. I DuckDuckGo’d it, and one site says the body uses it to make sex hormones.