Question for weight plateau

(Karenita) #1

Hi, I’m new to this and today is 4 weeks that I’ve done Keto, I lost 10 lbs initially and I’m doing everything the same, my ketones are always above 3, sometime 5ish but my scale stopped going down. I still have more weight to lose, what do you suggest. I don’t eat a lot because I’m not hungry, usually I will just eat some cheese, olives, macadamia nuts or a steak. I’m not measuring, I just know I’m for sure under 20 carbs a day. My clothes fit better but I still have a ways to go. Any thoughts to help get the scale moving again?

(Debbie Beaupre) #2

You possibly are not getting enough calories, therefore your ‘set metabolic’ rate has slowed a bit. Also, it doesn’t sound like you have fully adapted to ketosis or fatburning (it took me awhile too) Being in Ketosis is only one step, the next is to become Fat Adapted. If you continue to stay at a plateau I’d suggest 1-3 days of Waterfasting, where you drink bone broth, and make sure you consume plenty of salt to ensure you don’t experience ‘keto sickness’ again.

Welcome @Karenita, most people go through this after a couple of weeks on keto, and in most cases it’s a temporary stall for known reasons. Be sure you’re eating enough, because if you’re turning this into a low calorie diet due to low volume of food eaten then your metabolism will pay for it, and you don’t want that. Other than that, I think this post says everything you need to know better than I could. Read more around the forums too, there’s lots of good info here in past threads. :smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

It’s called PISS, post induction stall syndrome.

It’s quite common (thus the name given to the phenomenon).

What happens is the first couple weeks you are depleting your body of glycogen. This is 75% water. But once those stores are gone, your body stabilizes.

You should begin to lose weight again when your body becomes fat adapted. This doesn’t mean your aren’t losing fat though. Keep track of measurements.

Other than that, you just need to be patient and let Keto fix other things in your body.