Coconut pancakes

breakfast

(Jeremy Storie) #81

You’re my doppelgänger! :joy: yeah my compound butter was a little salty. I’ll use unsalted butter next time.

(James storie) #82

I used salted, mine was fine. I used cinnamon, and erithrytol

(Jeremy Storie) #83

Must be the butter I’m using

(James storie) #84

Was it Kerry gold? It is more salty than store brand. I love it!

(Jeremy Storie) #85

Nope, Walmart brand.

(Kevin Ruther) #86

Thanks for the recipe!

My results (used regular flavor pork rinds)
1st Time: I tried the pancake version and cooked them in butter. They tasted a little flat.
2nd Time: I cooked them in coconut oil and only used 3/4 cups of pork rind flakes (all I had left). The texture seemed better.

Bonus! I made these pancakes the base of my keto eggs Benedict for the 2nd time around. I had a feeling that the “flatness” would be a bonus to help balance out the hollandaise sauce. Turns out I was right. This recipe is going into my regular rotation!

(Nathanael Schulte) #87

Might be different elsewhere, but in the US, Cracklins are distinct from Pork Skins or Pork Rinds or Chicharrones - they have attached fat and they’re much tougher, in my experience. I’m not sure they would work in this recipe.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #88

This is my experience as well. I’m in Minnesota.
Here, cracklin’s are hard as a rock and yes, have fat attached. (I LOVE THEM as a snack) Lol

(G. Andrew Duthie) #89

Correct. Cracklins are better for snacking, and pork rinds are better for making into crumbs.

I was sharing the different names because that might help find the right thing…

For those in the U.S., if you can find the brand Mac’s, they make both Cracklins and pork rinds. The former come in smaller bags and make for a very satisfying salty snack. The latter make great pork rind nachos, and work fine for pork rind “bread crumbs”. Baken-ettes are also good for crumbs.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #90

I hate “Baken-ettes”. I think they taste nasty and rancid.
Signed,
Pork rind aficionado

(G. Andrew Duthie) #91

LOL. Like I said, Macs are my favorite. I wouldn’t snack on Baken-ettes, but I’d rather use them for breading than real bread crumbs, if that was my only choice.

I’ve also used the Clancy’s brand from Aldi…not my favorite for snacking, but perfectly fine (IMO) for “breading”.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #92

Baken-Ets are the only plain flavoured rinds that I can find. I use them exclusively for breading and pancakes.

(Alex Dipego) #93

Turkey creek! Only can find them at some shell gas stations and pilot gas stations

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #94

I like Mac’s, Clancy’s and Turkey Creek brand.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #95

Turkey Creek are the best in my opinion.

Maybe this could be a forum for Ketofest.
Pork rinds or crackle etc. - which is best? Experts discuss.:grin:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #97

Pffffft.

(James storie) #98

Yep, I’m a truck driver and turkey creek pork rinds are the best! It seems they are a little more salty! IMO, they are the perfect spoon for homemade egg salad!

(Louise ) #99

This is the AUD$5 bag of pork rinds that I bought at an Asian grocer. Brenda suggested that I grind them up to bread crumb texture and then I picked out (and ate) the harder bits.
@richard this is my new Breville waffle iron from JBHiFi which worked a treat. The recipe made two waffles - photos next time as they are ‘inmybelly’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dumb question…how did you prep the waffle maker before you poured in the batter?