Nitro Coffee - Black Coffee for The Rest of Us

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

I can’t believe there’s not a Coffee sub-topic!

Anyway. This is about Nitro Coffee - the Black Coffee for the rest of us who don’t really like black coffee. Those of you who actually like black coffee can move along. There’s nothing to see here.

47%20AM

Maybe the easiest/cheapest cost of entry:

Never realized that’s was Nitro was all about, been seeing that for years and thought it was just super caffeinated or something. I’ll be getting one of those later!

(Bob M) #3

I’ve had those a few times. I thought it was pretty good.

I guess, though, since I used to drink “sludge” in the Navy from a percolator that stayed on all day and was actually quite bad, I’m not as fussy about coffee as others are.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

While I was growing up in the 50s my mom and dad drank percolator coffee. I tried it a time or two in my young adolescence and thought it appallingly gross. I never drank coffee again until the early 70s when living in the Yukon. There the coffee was ‘bush coffee’. This was made by dumping a cup or so of grounds into a kettle then filling the kettle with water. The kettle was then kept on the stove all day. As the ‘coffee’ was consumed, more water and more grounds were added to keep the kettle topped up. By the end of the day you could probably use the residue as roofing tar. It reaffirmed my distaste for coffee.

It wasn’t until the mid-90s that I actually discovered that coffee could taste other than yucky. Now it’s one of my favorite things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

PS: Yes, I’m fussy. I don’t like acidic, bitter coffee which reminds me of that wretched stuff my parents drank.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

If the spoon won’t stand up in your coffee, it’s not strong enough. Just saying. :coffee:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

I’ve had a couple days off, but tomorrow I have to start work at 06:30, which means catch the bus at 05:52. So I’ve decided to mod my usual morning coffee program so I can stay in bed longer rather than arise at 03:30 to have time to prep and drink my morning keto coffee hot. I’m going to make my usual keto mix tonight and stick it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I’ll just eat it like pudding and drink one of these:

06%20PM

(Laurie) #7

Do you drink it hot or cold?

Oops, sorry, I notice that you say this is an alternative to hot coffee.

(Tim Cee) #8

Water is essential for life—because it’s used to make coffee.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

This morning’s keto mix ‘pudding’ and my nitro coffee. When I mixed my keto ingredients last night I should have reduced or eliminated the salt since it’s not getting mixed with a liter of coffee. So it was a bit salty. Without the salt I think it would have been much better, but it was still good. I think it would make a very good keto ice cream. I only got a head on the coffee by using my AeroLatte frother. Almost nothing straight out of the can, even after vigorous shaking per instructions on the can. So ‘canned’ nitro does not live up to the full potential of fresh nitro. I’ll have to give ‘fresh’ a try when I have a chance to see what the difference is. Taste-wise, it’s nice and smooth with no acidity nor bitters. Definitely a ‘black’ coffee that’s very different from hot brewed.

(Traci Simpson) #10

so what is the recipe for this coffee “pudding”?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

To be clear. When I use this mix with coffee, I mix it into a liter of hot coffee. There is no coffee in the ‘pudding’ variation. I drank the nitro coffee separately.

55%20PM

I mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then I mix the oils and butter in a cup; heat the mix for 60 seconds in the microwave, add the cream. Then I mix the oil/fat into the dry ingredients.

This mix has my current macros: 2:1 fat:protein grams / 4.5:1 fat:protein calories

If I wanted to use this to make ice cream I would likely increase the cream, which in turn would skew the macros towards fat. In my opinion, no additional sweetener is required. There is a small amount of sweetener (sucralose) in the ISOGold whey powder.

Making coffee NOT boring..Any ideas?