New to this diet, ketone level raised too fast?

(TT) #1

Hi everybody,

I’m very new to this new trend of diet, started less than 5 days ago.

I decided to try intermittent fasting to help my body kick into this somewhat new metabolic state, I also purchased a blood test kit for the sake of it.

I have been tracking my weight and ketone level occasionally, yesterday (Day 3) I was happy that I got a reading of 1.7 mmol?L (first time I did the blood test.

Now today comes (Day 4), I couldn’t resist my curiosity and tested again in the morning and got a reading of 6.1 mmol/L. That certainly freaked me out a little. I decided to wait till the evening and got a reading of 4.5 mmol/L. From the information I gathered, this is still relatively high.

I want to do well on this diet, but the fluctuation is worrying me.

Is this normal for somebody new to this diet?

(Ron) #2

Are you consuming any kind of exogenous ketones?
You might also list your stats and an example of your daily diet so the many good people on this forum can help with your journey.
This might also be a good conversation to read.

(TT) #3

Thank you so much for your reply.

That was a good article indeed.
I do have a relatively realistic view coming on this diet. I am not expecting any rapid changes, I am hoping to improve health on the long run.

I didn’t take any exogenous ketone. I am more worried if maybe this is an indication that I have some underlying metabolic pathology, given the rapid fluctuation on my ketone level.

I did try to “fast” during these initial three days, cutting meals and trying to stick to healthy fats when i do eat. I haven’t felt any discomfort, granted I am usually not very sensitive to discomfort and illness.

(Ron) #4

This is the Dudes explination of the Ketogenic diet.
http://pwop.com/download/TheKetogenicDietInANutshell.pdf
and this is the link to their podcasts that I highly suggest taking the time and listening to.

(TT) #5

I just realized I missed an important information.

I didn’t take exogenous ketone, but have been drinking bulletproof coffee with MCT oil! I didn’t know MCT oil is similar to exogenous ketone and perhaps that’s the reason?

Thank you so much man, you are so wonderful for a new and confused ketodieter, heading to the podcast now.

(Allie) #6

It’s jist because your body isn’t used to using them. Right now it’ll be in a state of “oh crap, I better make these things as fuel as there’s no carbs here!” so is going mad making them but doesn’t yet know how to actually use them. Chill. All is good.

(Alec) #7

Allie is spot on. Your liver is burning fat (this is good!), and making ketones. But the rest of your body hasn’t figured out yet what to do with them. More experienced ketoers generally test much lower ketone levels simply because their bodies are using them for fuel, so they are not hanging around.

High initial levels are common. Don’t worry, nothing to see here. Your body will work out how to burn them soon. It will need to!:+1::grinning:

(TT) #8

Thank you guys for the answers, I’ll have to admit I freaked out earlier thinking by tomorrow ill enter ketoacidosis and that’s it for me

(Allie) #9

You and plenty of other newbies, don’t worry you’re doing fine.