New guy progress (ongoing)

(Mark Walker) #1

The last time I weighed in at the doctor’s office, I was 316. As of today, I’m down to 298.

I’m feeling great and really looking forward to my next doctor’s visit, which I’ve scheduled for June 29th in order to give me a little more time to prove out my experience.

That is wonderful!

(Chris W) #3

Nice,
keep the salt up, drink water lots of it,
I lost 22 pounds in the first 2 weeks it was quite the ride, I wish I knew about the salt thing so make sure you are adding more to your diet.

(Mark Walker) #4

Day 14: I am waking up full of energy and not having to sleep as long. Breathing easily and feeling fantastic! I’m down 20 pounds since my last doctor’s visit (296.2 now) and am eagerly awaiting my plateau. A buddy of mine is going to join with me on my first EF after I plateau.

(Mark Walker) #5

Today I noticed that I’ve lost .4 pounds each day for the past three days. I’ve surmised that I’m out of the water weight stage now and am just burning fat. I’m thrilled by this and am looking forward to seeing how the next few weeks go.

I’m still doing IF during the work week, and walking about a mile during lunch time.

I’m still only getting hungry around 4:30 pm, having dinner and then fasting the rest of the day.

(Mark Walker) #6

Day 16: I only lost .2 pounds today, but that seems in line with the graph on my phone that tracks my weight.

One thing I’ve noted is that I’m getting tired in the afternoon now. I think it’s the fact that I’m still on three different blood pressure meds and probably don’t need quite as much, so I’m downing a lot of salt in water with mio, and occasionally some pickle juice.

I can’t wait for my next doctor’s appointment so I can get reevaluated.

(Chris W) #7

Go get your blood pressure checked, a lot of people get lower blood pressure,mine went from low normal to really low. Again that is a function of the salt, the meds may not help and make it worse.

If you are loosing energy try and up your fat intake, although you are IF I don’t recommend it long term until you are naturally doing it. Generally speaking you should not be hungry at this point, if you cut your calories to much for to long you will slow weight loss and not feel so good like being tired.

(Mark Walker) #8

Day 20: I had a weird weight bump the past few days, but last night my body made up for it and my trend line is back to the same as it was before. I also found my blood pressure cuff, and have been checking my blood pressure the past few days. I stopped taking both of my meds, but then yesterday I started taking one of them again because my body seemed to need it. With only one of them, my blood pressure is at around 126/87 and I’m feeling great.

The main reason I went off the meds was due to loss of consciousness due to low blood pressure a few days ago. It was short each time it happened, but I can’t have that happening while I’m driving, so…

The fantastic news is that, 12 months ago I was at 326 and today I’m down to 294. 22 pounds of that loss was within the past three weeks.

Even better news, my circle of friends who are either learning about, trying out, or going gonzo for Ketogenic eating has grown significantly over the past three weeks. This means that my support system is getting better, and I’m incredibly happy!

(Mark Walker) #9

Day 22: NSV! Not only am I feeling fantastic these days, but I feel like I’m starting to see it in the mirror. My true NSV for today is the realization that my belt buckle isn’t biting into my belly anymore!

That is fantastic! :grin:

(Mark Walker) #11

Ok, so news of the weird (for me anyway). My weight has been bouncing all over the place this week. I’ve had a nonstandard week in general, and I think I inadvertantly ate too many cars on Wednesday, that were hidden in a sauce. Probably sugar based.

I was craving carbs yesterday, but kept calm and keto’ed on. Today I’m feeling much better, but I’m still up .8 pounds from where I was on Monday.

I’m trying to figure out if I’ve just had a wonky week, or if I’m in a wildly erratic plateau.

(Mark Walker) #12

Day 26: GREAT news for me today. I don’t know what exactly was going on with my weight all week, but this morning I woke up and hit a new low weight of 293.4. All that said, i think the most amazing NSV I had today was the fact that I mowed for a good 50 minutes without feeling exhausted or tempted to take a break. I mowed it all in one fell swoop and that makes me feel fantastic!

(Mark Walker) #13

Day 28: So, after last weeks nonsense (a lot of fluctuation in my weight) I lost 5 pounds over the weekend. More importantly, my NSV for the weekend was that people started voicing that they are noticing my weight loss! Additional NSVs, my blood pressure has dropped, but normalized and I’m not experienceing weirdness with that anymore, and I dropped a pant size!

I’m so grateful for the podcasts and adore how they inform and educate me on how to live a healthy life so that I can live to see my kids grow up and have kids off their own. Plus this will help me properly educate my kids on how to live a healthy life!

(Mark Walker) #14

Day 32: I just broke another mile stone by getting to 289.6 this morning. My only real difficulty at this point, is how excited and impatient I am to see how far I can go until I plateau.

My ultimate weight goal is just “healthy”, but I’m curious if that will be closer to 240, 220, 200 or 180. In theory I’m supposed to be around 180, but I sincerely doubt I will get that low without losing muscle.

Recent NSVs are mostly just more people noticing I’m losing weight, asking me how I did it and giving me the opportunity to spread the word about 2ketodudes.com

(Mark Walker) #15

Week 6: The past couple of weeks have been a bit wonky on the scale, but I’m down to 286 as of this morning. That’s 30 pounds since May 16th and 40 since this time last year.

My annual physical is this Friday and I’m really looking forward to it.

NSV: On Saturday, I was playing video games with my buddies over the internet, and I noticed that I don’t feel fat anymore and sitting criss cross applesauce feels comfortable for the first time in my adult life. I’m 41, so that’s quite a while.

When the scale gets wonky, I just keep calm and keto on. Also, I’m up to episode 87 on the podcasts now and feeling quite a bit better educated!

(Mark Walker) #16

Week 7: It’s clear, at this point, that my body is continually changing and adjusting. On Friday, I went to the doctor and had my annual physical and blood work. I weighed in at 286 and she indicated that everything looks healthy.

Noteworthy bloodwork:
Triglicerides: Was 183 - Now 95
A1C: Was 5.5 - Now 5.1

Since then, I’ve lost more weight and am down to 282.8 as of this morning.

Non-scale victory: We went to a water park yesterday and I was able to go go go all day long without too much need for resting and without eating a bunch of food. Also, unlike in the past, when the group split up and I couldn’t find people at one point, it didn’t bother me at all. I just looked a bit and then stayed at the rally spot (we rented a cabana) and eventually people showed up. I had a great attitude all day and had a really fun time!

(Mark Walker) #17

Week 8: This week I very nearly hit my next goal weight. I reached 280.2 and then bumped back up a bit and back down a bit, since then I’m at 281.4 as of this morning. I have a feeling I’ll be down again in the morning, especially since I walked 2.5 miles today during lunch.

I’m back to doing IF after a week of vacation during which I knowingly chose to eat some carbs for special occasions. Over the next week I will be doing my best to knowingly and willfully keep calm and keto on.

NSV this week is that more people are noticing my weight loss, asking questions and celebrating my successes with me.

I intend to serve as a living example of how amazing our bodies are if we just learn to listen to good science and feed our bodies what they need.

(Mark Walker) #18

Week 16: I haven’t posted in a while, but I have been keeping calm and ketoing on. I’m now down to 266 pounds and have lost 50 pounds since mid May, 60 since summer of 2017.

I’ve had far too many NSVs to count, but some of them are healthier teeth, self-repaired shoulder injury that I’ve had for 20 years and I need new clothes. I also don’t sweat as much on my daily walks, I’m up to 5 miles per day and I don’t get winded running up the stairs at work.

The longer I do this, the easier it gets. I’m looking forward to going shopping for clothes and can’t wait to find out what my clothing sizes are now. All I know is that I can’t imagine ever going back to a high carb diet.