Nauseous From Butter

New to ketosis and I’m trying to embrace the fat :slight_smile: however I get a bit nauseous from eating butter. I try to add about 1 tbs butter (grassfed) to my eggs etc. Will it pass? Heavy whipping cream does not make me nauseous, but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to eat too much of the cream as I’m trying to lose weight. Anyone BTDT?

I started keto life about a month ago but probably got kicked out somewhere in the middle because of drinking a Vitamin Water that I thought was zero but wasn’t (32 grams of sugar! :o ) and gained my 4 lb weight loss back in a day or two… trying to keep it positive though! I used to have such a sweet tooth, eating sugar every day, and now I haven’t had any (except for the accidental vitamin water) for a month! Sorry about the rant, I don’t really have anyone in my life that’s excited about keto.

(Ron) #2

Read this thread.

(Bunny) #3

One reason for the “nauseous feeling” could be is that it is satieting you? (what should happen!) And your body via salivary & olfactory glands (sensory nerves) are telling you, your eating too much fat? Listen to your body?

Balancing out your fat intake is key; not too much or too little is key in finding your personal ‘sweet spot’ for amount of fat intake and is also the case with amount of protein intake (gluconeogenesis)!

Too much fat or protein and it will turn into sugar or glucose in your body and you will gain weight, stall or plateau and not lose it?

Note: When you first start a ketogenic diet your body uses a combination of ketones and glucose for energy/fuel! After or around the 27 week mark of being strictly ketogenic your body is more primed to use ketones (from eating fat or your own body fat) exclusively for energy…

(David Robinson) #4

Hey! Avocado oil is really good to fry with. It has a high smoking temperature so it is perfect for frying and it’s totally healthy i.e. the right kind of fat / not a vegetable oil or hydrogenated. I use avocado oil to fry with and olive oil for dressing. Maybe your tummy would prefer that :smile:

Add what you like, or no butter at all if you don’t like the flavor. Do you eat bacon with your eggs? Cook them in the bacon grease. As long as you get in the fats you’re good, doesn’t have to be from any specific source as long as it’s good fats and not garbage ones like Canola oil and the like.

Don’t get down when stuff like that happens, in a case like that 32g isn’t much so that 4lb gain was your glycogen stores reloading (water weight) so not a big deal, not the same as putting back on 4lbs of fat. It happens. I’m up 3lbs from yesterday because I ate a roll at a steakhouse with my kid, he’s noticing as he get older mom and dad don’t eat a lot of the stuff he eats and it weirds him out sometimes, so I ate a roll with him. Literally heading to the gym now, any carbs left will burn off and I’ll be back where I was tomorrow morning.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

Maybe start with a tablespoon of butter for the pan to cook the eggs in, rather than large fractions or whole sticks. You can eat like a Normal person minus the sugars and starches and be keto without personally improving the sales of Kerrygold and Land o Lakes.

What you’re describing is exactly what keto flu felt like for me, so maybe if you weren’t in ketosis for a while and now you are again, it’s possibly transient keto flu. Upping your water and salt intake to adequate levels (other threads discuss how much salt, etc.) should help if that’s the case, plus a little time. Good luck!

(Nathan Toben) #8

I would say, don’t worry about it but while continuing to lean into more fat in your meals.

My sister is just starting keto as well and she does not find the fattier parts of steaks palatable nor does she add tablespoons of butter to her meals. The result is simply that she is having a frustrating time hitting her macros.

Akin to frying in avocado oil, having salads with lots of olive oil, I would suggest in the mornings and afternoons, “banking fat while sparing protein”. This means have fat and heavy whipping cream in your coffee and blend it up, or a chai tea done the same way. If you eat breakfast, cook eggs in lots of butter and let them absorb all of it up. THen lunch, a massive salad with tons of high fat dressing.

This way, when dinner arrives, you are ahead on your fat, and have room left for protein. You won’t be forced to choke down gobs of unstrategically used fats to hit your macros, you can just make your dinner, add a bit of fat and be golden.

This has worked for my sister and she likes how it adds structure to her earlier meals/drinks.

The nice thing is that food preferences are trained and not intrinsic. In the same way that switching jobs changes routines, perceptions and skill sets over the course of months, changing nutritional strategies does the same to taste-buds.

Eventually, when you add a big gob of butter to something, you will not gag even if you tried to make yourself…wait that’s weird…you know what I mean! :wink:

(Raj Seth) #9

Actually the bulk of your body’s energy demands are being met directly by free fatty acids. The ketones are used by those that cannot directly use fat - brain, I think heart etc. I don’t know the ratio, but an uneducated guess would be 85:10:5 fattyacids:ketones:glucose
This WOE is really lipolytic - even though I know Ketogenic is the popular phrase for it. Just like Keto Flu maligns keto, though it’s actually carb withdrawal :grinning:

(Bunny) #10

Interesting you got my curiosity going need to explore this more:

Effects of free fatty acids (FFA) on glucose metabolism: significance for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes: “…Most obese individuals have elevated plasma levels of free fatty acids (FFA) which are known to cause peripheral (muscle) insulin resistance. …”

40% of the brain mass is composed of DHA and is literally a ball of a type of fat…from what I understand? Need to explore this more!

Go with whatever fat you can tolerate. Maybe olive oil or avocado oil.