My Keto, low carb journey

keto

If you notice improvements and no bad things, it’s definitely progress.
And slow fat-loss is still fat-loss.

(Robin) #43

If you have the room in your plan, go for it and enjoy it!

(Allie) #44

Chuck have you thought of using Lite Salt on your food, if you need potassium?

(Chuck) #45

No but I have been using Himalayan pink salt

(Allie) #46

Not as much potassium in that, could be worth you exploring the lite salt if potassium is an issue for you. Many of us use it for the same reason.

(Chuck) #47

I am also taking a potassium supplement that my doctor recommended.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Dr. Phinney at one point recommended a product called Slo-Mag, which he felt was cheap and effective. It’s available in the U.S., but I don’t know about other countries.

(Chuck) #49

My doctor said my potassium was low because I had been on a diuretic for so long, but I stopped the diuretic at the time I started keto. The other thing was that my zinc levels were high. Not sure why there but he had my cut my multivitamin in half.

(Chuck) #50

I am so happy to take every tenth of pound of weight loss and celebrate it. I believe in the slowly and surely as being the best way to lose weight, and I have to say if you are observant you will notice how your body is changing before you see it on the bathroom scales.
While so many want to see the scales change, I have always found seeing my body change and seeing how much different my clothes look and fit me is more important.
I may be a man but it doesn’t mean I don’t like to look presentable.
I started this process 4 and a half months ago with my closet full of shirts in sizes 2X down to medium, and jeans sizes 44 down to 34. I now wear loose fitting large shirts and comfortable fitting 36 jeans. I still have about 18 pounds to lose to be where I believe I belong and 28 to go if I reach what my doctors believe I should weigh. I belief is that my body knows best as long as I feed properly. While I truly am confused over what happened to me in Navy boot camp some 55 years ago, where I gained between 50 and 60 pounds in a span of 11 weeks. I do understand that that was because of an extremely high carb intake. Will I come close to losing all of that weight? I truly don’t know.

(Robin) #51

You’ve got this down! Hope you took a Before photo!

I heard most people doesn’t notice things. First people who rarely see us do, then family members and we are the last. I was that, 10 kg and I saw myself the same. I needed an old photo realize my very round face totally slimmed down…
I always see my belly the same as it every was. So I need my pants telling me if something changed.

Wow, that’s a very high calorie surplus! (Possible to do it, well not for me…) Whatever carbs do, they can’t make much fat from little energy so you had to eat a lot. Unless it was like my stress gain where I suddenly gained 5kg without a reason for it in my eating so I obviously gained water, what else? And it got replaced by fat later. I did eat too much afterwards here and there…

(Chuck) #53

Let’s just say I felt stronger and more energetic before boot camp than after. It I was trapped in the carb trap of eating while in the Navy until I was able to move out of the barracks, then I managed to cook for myself and did lose some weight. But I didn’t really lose much weight until after I was out of the Navy and went on the Atkins diet. Over 18 months I believe it was I lost about 75 pounds. But my wife and I got super busy and I slipped back into eating way too many carbs, and gained everything and then some that seems to have been my life lose weight then regain even more. I feel now that I am retired I can manage to continue this keto/low carb lifestyle.

(Chuck) #54

@PaulL where can I find more information about Dr. Phinney weight. I am looking for explanation.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #55

The term itself is really just a forum joke, but the idea is what Dr. Phinney describes as being “the weight you can get to on a well-formulated ketogenic diet without too much effort, and which is a weight your body seems to be comfortable remaining at.”

The common experience is that one’s “Phinney weight” is higher than people would like it to be. Dr. Phinney’s point, as I understand it, is that the body often needs to settle at a new normal before being willing to shed even more fat.

Interestingly, we occasionally get complaints that someone is losing more weight on keto than they would really prefer. It’s always hard to tell what this means, because our sense of what “thin” means has been warped by decades of obesity. Photographs from the middle of the last century show that people back then were much thinner than we consider “normal” these days. And interestingly, Sophia Loren, who was considered voluptuously well-padded back in the 1960’s, looks reasonably thin to our eyes today, in photos from that period.

(Chuck) #56

Like I said before before I went in the Navy at 21 I was 167 pounds, I could eat what ever I wanted. Mostly meat, eggs, drinking lots of whole milk right from the cows. Sure I was active going to college and also working 8 hours a day in a sweatshop. I did plastic molding of car parts for AC and other car dashboards. I was also swimming 2 hours the first thing in the morning. I still prefer to eat that way. The Navy introduced me to a massive amount of carbs and I have been literally a slave to grains. I have managed to stay away from bread, and cereals now for 4 and half months with no issues. What I miss is not having my morning glass of real whole milk, the only way I can stomach almond milk is by adding whey protein. I also miss the occasional baked potato. I was raised on lots of pinto beans cooked with ham hocks. The whole mike and the pinto beans go against the keto, low carb diet as does all starchy vegetables. I am at 208.8 and losing about a tenth of a pound every couple of days.
I fully intend to allow my body to seek its own comfortable weight. I am just wanting to really find what I can and cannot eat so I don’t kill my progress.

@PaulL I am seriously considering leaning more towards the Atkins diet, and adding my whole milk back in to my diet on a limited basis not every day and in small amounts more than likely added to my smoothies that I have been limiting to almond milk only with some heavy cream. I still don’t plan on adding any grains or starchy veggies to my diet. I will until I am to the point of being as close to normal weight as my body will allow staying away from potatoes and pinto beans etc. From my previous experience with Atkins that grains were my main issue. I will and have had very limited amounts of potatoes and didn’t see any ill effects.

(Chuck) #57

It still makes me uneasy to add salt to my food. I have been so use to not salting anything or even cooking with salt. I have forgotten how it tastes to have the salt.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #58

I’m not sure what the difference is between the Atkins diet and any other low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet, but have at it. Any diet that gets your insulin low enough for your liver to make ketones is a ketogenic diet.

The key to metabolic health and fat loss is to eat a small enough amount of carbohydrate to permit insulin to drop below the fat-storage threshold. And how much someone has to drop the carb intake depends on how insulin-resistant that person is. The higher the resistance, the more insulin that gets secreted for a given amount of carbohydrate. So very insulin-resistant people may need to drop their carb intake really low, while insulin-sensitive people will be able to tolerate more carbohydrate before their insulin rises enough to put the body into fat-storage mode.

So whole milk is an issue solely because it contains a fair amount of glucose and galactose, but as long as you are keeping your total carbohydrate intake low enough, your insulin will stay low and you will remain in ketosis.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #59

Andrew Mente, one of the principal investigators of the PURE study, says that their data show that a sodium intake of 4-6 g/day is where people are the healthiest. This translates into 10-15 g/day of table salt (sodium chloride). The same healthy range was shown in another study that came out around the same time as the PURE study. If you’d like to learn more, Dr. Mente gave a lecture a few years ago at a Low Carb Down Under event, that is available on YouTube. Just search on “Mente salt PURE” and you’re sure to find it.

(Chuck) #60

My blood sugar continues to be low normal to almost low, it has been that way my whole life. When I ate high carbs and I went to long with out a carb fix I would get dizzy and weak. With the way I am eating now even with the occasional whole milk I am never hungry, my energy level is great and I am fasting 16 or more hours per day. And I do make sure my total carbs say below 50.

(Chuck) #61

My salt intake isn’t no where close to that even though it is about twice what it use to be.