Just found out today that sugar inhibits production of EPA and DHA in brain

(Kaitlynne) #1

That’s terrifying. I knew sugar was evil but not that evil.

I’m convinced there isn’t an organ in the body that isn’t eventually screwed by glucose and/or insulin. The brain might seem like it’s the last thing to go, or is a natural part of aging, but the sheer number of people who feel a (re)gain of mental clarity when provided ketones as an alternate fuel is not just coincidence. And yet doctors keep prescribing insulin as a solution. :frowning_face:

(Bacon is the new bacon) #3

Hmmm . . . should I tell people to change the kind of food they eat, which they can do for free, or encourage them to pay me lots of money for a pill that will make them sicker and need more of my pills? Hmmm . . . I wonder if I could get doctors on board with this? After all, they could use the repeat business, right? . . . :scream:

Yep, selling insulin and topping it off with a fish oil pill is their M.O.
Or you could have them read Amy’s book…

(Bacon is the new bacon) #5

The real horror is how many people would actually prefer to eat crap and then take a pill to “fix” it. :scream:

Maybe being already brian-damaged inhibits their cognitive processes so they literally can’t think for themselves.

(see that! I literally just used “literally”)

(Bacon is the new bacon) #7

I’m virtually certain that’s how you’re supposed to use it—literally, I mean. :rofl:

(Kaitlynne) #8

Fructose is even worse. Grateful I’m not American, high fructose corn syrup is in pretty much everything over there.

(Bunny) #9

One key point about the findings “…in high amounts…”

Hard to find things in the grocery store (80%) that are not laced with some combination of “…OSE’s…” or under other sneakier deceptive names[2]?

How much…is too much[4]?

”…IF YOU CAN’T CONVINCE THEM, CONFUSE THEM? …” – Harry Truman[2][5]

References:

[1] High Fructose Corn Syrup Name Change: This time it’s the presence of a new version of high fructose corn syrup. According to the Corn Refiners Association (CRA), there’s been a sneaky name change. The term ‘fructose’ is now being used to denote a product that was previously known as HFCS-90, meaning it is 90 percent pure fructose.…More

[2] What’s in a name? “…For years, the corn industry has tried to mislead us. In 2010, the Corn Refiners Association sought to improve the image of HFCS. Thankfully, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) stepped up and turned down their request to rename HFCS to the more natural sounding term “corn sugar.” “…Here are a few other deceptive names of HFCS that you should look out for: maize syrup, glucose syrup, glucose/fructose syrup, tapioca syrup, fruit fructose and crystalline fructose…” “…The toxic ingredient now called fructose, or fructose syrup, contains even higher concentrations of harmful HFCS, making it more of a health risk than regular HFCS. Regular HFCS (HFCS-42 or HFCS-55) contains either 42 or 55 percent fructose, while HFCS-90 contains 90 percent. The Corn Refiners Association stated, “A third product, HFCS-90, is sometimes used in natural and ‘light’ foods, where very little is needed to provide sweetness. Syrups with 90% fructose will not state high fructose corn syrup on the label, they will state ‘fructose’ or ‘fructose syrup. ” …” Source: Food companies hiding harmful high fructose corn syrup under new name. Monday, December 12, 2016 by: Amy Goodrich

[3] High Fructose Corn Syrup Dangers

[4] TOFI (thin-outside-fat-inside): “…It is shown that overconsumption of fructose can lead to TOFI by inducing inflammation associated cortisol release.[6] …”

[5] 5 Reasons High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You?

[6] Dr. Mark’s Minute - High Fructose Corn Syrup is POISON: Reason #3

[7] FRUCTOSE: the Most Dangerous Sugar for Your Belly

[8] Fruit Fructose vs. High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)

[9] What is Worse than High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) for Causing Weight Gain?

[10] Ants Love High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) as Much As We Do

[11] Did You Realize that Most People Drink 50 Gallons of Poison Each Year?

[12] Agave Nectar vs. High Fructose Corn Syrup: WHICH IS BETTER?

(Full Metal Keto) #10

“God Damn the pusher man”. Stepenwolf

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Kaitlynne) #11

Whilst I do agree with this as I’ve stated in another thread, sometimes medication is necessary. In some kinds of life threatening illnesses that need medicating.

(Bacon is the new bacon) #12

It still horrifies me that someone would rather contract a life-threatening illness and undergo invasive treatment than take simple steps to preserve health.

(Kaitlynne) #13

I sure see your point however in some situations you can’t help it. If you come in contact with bacteria you need antibiotics or you’ll die. Keto is awesome but I doubt it can protect against meningitis.

(Bunny) #14

A ketogenic diet reduces amyloid beta 40 and 42 in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s disease?

…a-beta clearance inhibited by too much exogenous to endogenous glucose ratios and not enough omega 3 fatty acids that include DHA and EPA? Hmmm?

image source: Y. Saeed and S.M. Abbott Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports 2017

Awesome study! Recommending low fat diets is evil, pure evil I tell ya!

Previous studies have suggested that diets rich in cholesterol and saturated fats increased the deposition of Aβ and the risk of developing AD. Here we demonstrate that a diet rich in saturated fats and low in carbohydrates can actually reduce levels of Aβ.

Note: reducing amyloids by drug intervention was found to make little difference. It might be they are the canary in the coal mine rather than the source of the problem.

(Scott) #16

By my best guess based on people that I have discussed keto with 90% of people in that line have no idea of keto WOE. Now that I have said that I guess only about 10% would stop eating carbs.

I tried to get my brother in law interested in keto and he is starting to have metabolic issues. “Oh I don’t think I can do that”. He then saw how much weight his brother has lost just in his face alone and decided to start. He travels alot for work and I just don’t think he will put 100% into this change. I hope I am wrong.

(Bunny) #17

Yes, beta amyloid plaques bioaccumulate in stacks, too many stacks the body has a hard time clearing it?

Ketones seem to act like astringent or acetone very similar to nail polish remover… at least that is my analogy for now…lol

Hmmm?

I think amyloids and Alzheimer’s have a common root cause. Some forms of Alz don’t even have plaques, and some people with plaque don’t have Alz. It’s a fascinating subject. I like this podcast about trying to prevent it. https://peterattiamd.com/richardisaacson/

(Jane Srygley) #19

At least Dr. Sarah Hallberg is on to all of this. I don’t blame doctors though because I honestly think they care and are doing what they think is best for their patients. Until this diet gets into the medical mainstream, the crappy diets (South Beach and Mediterranean, I believe) will still be recommended to diabetics and they will still prescribe pills and insulin.

(Kaitlynne) #20

Thank you for being sympathetic to people in the medical industry!