Is this some BS pro- carb propaganda?

(Kaitlynne) #1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11575609/

(Bob - another over 65 road cyclist ) #2

Sounds to me like a tenuous link to ketogenic diets. They talk about managing seizures and some of the dangers, then say she was in acidosis. I believe that ketoacidosis is exceptionally rare in people who are not Type 1 diabetic (no insulin). I think Doc Nally says he has seen one person in his practice that wasn’t type 1 who developed an acidosis problem.

Being in acidosis makes it sound like the her condition was mismanaged which allowed her to go into ketoacidosis. Perhaps her “glucose transport protein deficiency” made the chances of successfully managing her condition much harder.

By analogy, if someone on the keto diet died of pneumonia it would be true but dishonest to say the keto diet was linked to death from pneumonia. That’s how I see them linking her death to the keto diet.

(Michael - Don't expect miracles and you won't be disappointed.) #3

“The ketogenic diet has demonstrated good efficacy in children with pharmacologically resistant seizures. Relatively few serious complications have been reported in the more than 70 years in which the diet has been used… The outcome for this patient raises concern regarding a potential consequence of the ketogenic diet.”

That’s a classic non sequiter.

(Full Metal Keto) #4

Other instances are pregnant or breastfeeding women I believe. And fasting might also push that envelope for them. As long as you’re producing insulin I don’t think it happens from my understanding. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal Keto) #5

So she had pancreatitis, and therefore wasn’t producing any or sufficient insulin. This was the problem, not keto. They are linking keto but what would have been the result if she were eating sugar/carbs without producing adequate insulin, answer…keto acidosis. :cowboy_hat_face:

A 9-year-old girl had a seizure disorder with associated developmental delay owing to glucose transport protein deficiency. (emphasis mine)

If someone is using this to “prove” keto is unhealthy, they are way off track.

Also, I noticed the case study is from 2001. There were some early studies, though I don’t recall exactly the time frame, when the formulation they used for anti-seizure treatment was basically a liquid diet composed of PUFAs and lacking in some essential minerals. I believe it was selenium deficiency. So if you run across a study like that you may want to see if it’s one that Ballantyne used to trash keto a while back. http://ketotalk.com/2016/06/23-responding-to-the-paleo-mom-dr-sarah-ballantynes-claims-against-the-ketogenic-diet/

And cause its hot in the summer it means ice cream causes more drownings.

(Todd Allen) #8

Exactly! This is a single isolated case. Here’s a link to the full paper though it doesn’t tell much more than the abstract. Curiously there is little data on this patient other than she was born with a severe genetic defect and she was incredibly sick the day before they let her die.

This 9-year-old girl had a glucose transport protein syndrome, the molecular defect involving one of the GLUTI alleles.~’ As a consequence, she had seizures, microcephaly, and developmental delay. She was briefly treated with phenobarbital, but once the diagnosis was confirmed, this was discontinued, and the ketogenic diet with MCT oil was initiated at 7 months of age.

Note, microcephaly means an abnormally small head. And it was due to a genetic defect impairing the ability of glucose to cross the blood brain barrier. This was not a healthy girl and she may not have survived to 9 years of age if not on a ketogenic diet. There is no detail of her medical or diet history making me wonder how well and proactively her case was managed.

Also, the discussion contains this observation:

Despite this association, we could find no previous reports of pancreatitis while patients were on the ketogenic diet, suggesting that this is either an uncommon association or unrelated.

(Door Girl) #9

If I recall correctly, and I did a whole lot of research as I’m currently pregnant, the only cases of acidosis in pregnant or lactating females occurred alongside significant fasting.

(Alec) #10

K
BS pro-carb agenda? Note the date - 2001. I think very unlikely that this was motivated by any bad pro-carb BS agenda.

(Ethan) #11

Hypertriglyceridemia is not hyperlipidemia

(Full Metal Keto) #12

@doorgirl Yes, I saw the same thing recently.

(Bacon is the new bacon) #13

Pancreatitis is almost always fatal, regardless of diet. A friend of mine died of a sudden bout, years ago. And I see no mechanism for a low-carb diet’s being harmful to the pancreas, quite the reverse, in fact.

(Bacon is the new bacon) #14

“Euglycemic ketoacidosis” is very rare, but not unknown in people eating a ketogenic diet; I have read about a few cases in mothers who fasted during pregnancy or lactation. It also is known to be a risk of certain specific drugs.

(Consensus is Politics) #15

Looks to me like the author of that paper went to the same school as Dr Ansel Keyes to learn science.

I’m curious of the context that led to you finding this. Was it being held up as “proof” that keto is bad? Talk about thin ice. Since this paper in 2001, I wonder how many other ketonians have had pancreatitis ‘post keto’. Which makes me wonder if any have actually gotten better?

Using that authors logic, why not suspect the MCT oil? Why not suspect a genetic disorder? The answer is simple. Its easier to blame the unknown. Most people in 2001 had never heard of a Ketogenic diet, and most of those that did probably immediately thought of ketoacidosis (I speak as one of them).