How best to get non\pre-diabetics or slightly\not-obese individuals to go keto? [the future of keto]

ketofuture
motivation

(Elli S) #1

Lately, I have been concerned about where this keto movement is headed. How do we make it the future Standard Worldwide Diet?

Two years ago, I gave an informal lecture on my journey with Keto and how it works, to 50 of my colleagues at work. I got a long round of applause at the end, and everybody keeps congratulating me in the hallway as to how much better I look; but as far as I can tell, no one joined me.

In my experience, most keto-ers have begun their journey after getting the news that they are diabetic, or when looking for a way to lose a lot of weight after trying many alternatives. But I’m thinking, that’s basically reactive, and will keep keto as a way of eating limited to a small fraction of the population.

If we want to make this a preventative measure for everyone’s health and well-being, this must go beyond those mentioned above. But how can this be done?

So I am asking for your thoughts:

What do you think would make someone take on the not-so-easy commitment (at least at the beginning), without a tangible reward of immediate visible change? What incentive could do the trick?

I’m not asking about convincing any particular person individually, but your average guy on the street.

I’d love to hear your ideas.

(Elli S) #3

I understand where you are coming from, but let me explain. If someone can eat the SAD and stay healthy for life, then good for him, I’m happy to leave 'em be. But the data suggests that diabetes is becoming an epidemic, and the costs of this - for health and financially - are enormous. I’d say easily, that 30% can eat whatever they want and stay healthy, but probably the rest can’t.
I care about the 30 year old or 40 year old who will be diabetic 10-20 years down the road, because at the moment, he or she has no idea they are going there, or hope that they won’t be part of the statistics.

('Jackie P') #4

People are trying, and progress has been made.
David Lustig says this level of change takes a generation! David Unwin is happy that LC (notice he cleverly avoids the keto word) is now recommended in the Uk Diabetes Association.
I think I heard somewhere that the Australian Diabetic Association has ditched some of their food sponsors.
I know it’s frustrating, but word is slowly coming through. It’s the ruddy media that need to get on board IMO :rage:

(Windmill Tilter) #5

This is what works. Slowly but surely.

When you lose so much weight, and look so healthy that people have to stop you and ask “you look amazing, what have you been doing?”; that’s when you’ve made an impact. You can talk about it all day long, but you can’t push a rope. It doesn’t help because you talk; it helps when they ask…

You may not think you’ve had an impact, but with one 30 minute talk, you took a pretty big chip out of the edifice of carb worship. Nothing may have happened in the weeks after your speech, but some day one of the folks in that room is going finally decide that they’re sick and tired of struggling to button their pants and feeling worn out all the time.

That’s the split second that the 30 minutes you gave will change somebody’s life. :+1:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I think until you can wave a wand and make the world a much happier place you’re out of luck. We have an epidemic of people using things to feel better and food is one of them. It’s human nature to take the path of least resistance and reaching for that comforting, satisfying thing is one of them. I think the fear of being sick doesn’t hit until you are told you are sick, or you physically feel it and then the motivation kicks in. Some of us can do it by watching others being sick, but most have to figure it out for themselves.

I also agree with @SkyStars, plenty of people eating non-junk, whole food diets (with bread and fruit) are doing fine. Eating carbs doesn’t guarantee metabolic disease. Many other variables contribute to it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

(Jack Bennett) #8

In most cases, pain seems to motivate people to action. The threat of future pain is a strong motivator but even “you are at risk of amputation” or “your heart disease risk is 10x the average member of your cohort” is sometimes not enough to motivate action.

I don’t know what the solution is. I know for myself, I was overweight and used keto to lose weight. I’m sure I helped out my metabolic markers but as far as I know I wasn’t prediabetic. Weight loss is a powerful and tangible motivator for many, while heart disease, diabetes, or inflammation seems like a distant future abstraction (until the moment it lands on you.)

(charlie3) #9

My calling card is the way I look. 5’9" 154 lbs 13% body fat, 70 yrs. So I’m shopping for groceries yesterday. The cart has a mountain of veggies, eggs, cream, meat, etc. It’s obvious what I’m eating. I can’t do more unless someone asks, which is rare. Then, I have 4 younger siblings. There I can be a bit more agressive. I’ve warned them, either clean up your act or I’ll be going to all your funerals.