Ketogenic diet

fathead
pizza

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #61

Fathead crust with Alfredo sauce, chicken and baby rocket sautéed in ghee

Oh. And mushrooms!

Pesto is also a great sauce for pizza

(KCKO, KCFO) #63

I’ve done several fathead pizzas with pesto, it is delicious and doesn’t make the crust soggy.

(Jessika Nilsson) #64

Good to know that someone has had a great experience with it and that the pizza doesn’t get soggy :slight_smile: Did you use green or red pesto?
I guessed that it would work as I’ve seen the suggestion to use pesto on the DietDoctor site when viewing their version of the fathead pizza.
And my pizza wasn’t very soggy, just a tad too soft near the center, and I made a big pizza (doubled the recipe) which filled the whole pan (?) which might also have affected the result.

So we’ll have to see what I’ll fell like using the next time I make pizza, alfredo sauce or pesto :pizza: But I feel that I need to try out both ways eventually, I can make that sacrifice :wink: Oh, the woe of eating keto :joy:

(Jessika Nilsson) #65

That really does look delicious, I guess that you didn’t need to add any more cheese than what was in the sauce?
Or did you put grated on top, just because you know, cheese is always delicious?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #66

You mean cheese in the crust?

I did put cheese on top, just like a traditional pizza :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #67

I used traditional green pesto, basil based. Never heard of red pesto.

Both and. Both red and green are great. I also love it with an artichoke pesto.

(Jessika Nilsson) #69

I meant besides the cheese in the alfredo sauce :slight_smile: (the cheese in the crust is a given) Or how you make alfredo sauce?

So I guess that you add the alfredo sauce, the other toppings and then finish the pizza off with more cheese :heart_eyes:

(Dany Bolduc) #70

May have been referring to a Sun-died Tomato Pesto I’ve used that before, very tasty…. But that was before I was Keto, not sure I’d still use it (5 sugar, 2 starch, 2 fiber per quarter cup)

(Mike W.) #71

Shaved Brussels, bacon, and red onion on a bacon fat alfredo sauce.

(Mike W.) #72

Here’s a “coney dog” one we did. My favorite yet.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #73

Yaaaaaaaassssssssssssssss

And I’m lazy most days. And budget minded. I buy a low carb Alfredo in the jar

(Jessika Nilsson) #74

Ah, that explains why we misunderstood each other :wink: I’ll see whether I’ll try to find a low carb alfredo sauce in the store or just make one from scratch. I’ll probably end up making it as they have a tendency to put a lot of strange stuff in the bought once, or flour, which I really cannot eat (gluten intolerant)…

(Chris McRoberts) #75

So, do u cook crust first, then add toppings? I made it last week, tasted good, but crust stuck to pizza stone

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #76

I cook the crust first, including turning it to cook both sides.
THEN I add toppings and bake till the cheese toasts/melts.

(Jim Russell) #77

Are those really small or do you have gigantic hands? :slight_smile:

(Chris McRoberts) #78

Thank you very much

(matt ) #79

Chris you should use parchment to avoid any sticking.

(Alison) #80

WHYYYY did I wait so long to make this?

Fathead pizza is the :bomb:!!! I used the traditional recipe with egg, but flipped it halfway and brushed with olive oil per Carlhead Pizza recipe. It looks a little extra brown, but I would brown it to this exact same level again… it didn’t have any burnt taste and had nice crunch like REAL CRUST. This was SOOOO good!

I had it along with my Keto-Rita, which for me is Salt Rimmed Glass, Juice of 1 small lime, Club Soda, + Silver Tequila to taste… I’m usually very strict, and hey, it’s the weekend :wink: - I do feel a bit like I’ve entered the ‘Danger Zone’ though…

*Only tweak I would make is I’d like to get a culinary torch to brown the cheese on top - the crust would be badly burnt if you left it in long enough to really brown the cheese & toppings.

SOOOO good… did I say that already?