What do you think of Dr. Berg’s teachings on keto?

(Brian) #96

I’m not sure what Dr. Berg was driving at with the “no water in the body”. I suppose I can see a context where that might be correct. Was he saying that there is not pure H2O in the body? In a way, I’d have to agree. A soon as water, no matter how pure, enters the mouth, it would immediately be immersed into other liquids such as saliva and stomach acid and probably a host of other fluids and minerals that would mean that it wasn’t pure H2O anymore. Oh, there would still be a high water content. It just wouldn’t be pure H2O anymore. Or maybe he meant something else. I didn’t hear him say it and have no idea what he was intending.

Those kinds of things I tend to take as I think he meant them if that was clear. Otherwise, I tend to disregard or try to verify in some other way. Honestly, I haven’t listened to a Dr. Berg video in quite a while. He was someone I appreciated when I first started, though, as he got me going in this keto lifestyle. Don’t know if I’d be here, at least on this side of the grass if it hadn’t been for a Dr. Berg video showing me that there really is another way to eat healthy.

FWIW…

I’m not a fan of Dr Berg. I initially watched his videos, and even found a few of his videos when searching for specific topics. But I often did not like how he explained things - or rather didht explain things. I have a background in science, and something just did not seem right. So I looked him up and it was only then that I found out he was not a ‘real’ doctor. Not that that is necessary (as we all know) But he should be more forth-right about that. My impression is he seems to want people to think he is a ‘real’ doctor, and his lack of clarity on that alone turned me off. YMMV…

There are so many good sources of keto information out there (though often confusing), I’d rather watch or read those who I have more respect for, whether a doc, engineer, good cook, or whether they sell stuff or not.

(KetoQ) #98

I’ve watched many of his videos, and like Berg and the quality of the info. He’s very smart in the way he presents himself and his interpretation of keto. Nothing wrong with being a skilled communicator.

Ditto with selling supplements, although I see how it can rub some people the wrong way. We all make a living somehow, and either sell something, or rely on someone to sell our product/service. It doesn’t mean when we advocate for that business that there is an inherent conflict of interest. Although it does happen.

As far as Berg being a chiropractor and not an MD, this forum is filled with novices who dispense dietary and perhaps even medical advice – with no formal medical or relevant training, have been on keto a relatively short time, and whose keto knowledge is limited to personal experience as well as second and third hand info they have gathered from the web. I fall into that category.

Now, that doesn’t mean a novice can’t share valuable info or personal experience. But I find it hard to believe that members of this forum would have problems with Berg’s credibility, yet follow advice of members of this forum, who they have no clue who they are, and whose main qualification is that they follow and support the keto diet.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #99

There are people on this forum whose information I tend to trust; they also tend to be long-term keto. Listening to everyone reveals a great deal of contradictory information; not to mention that our understanding ot the mechanisms of ketosis is growing and changing.

The people I trust most tend to pepper their lectures with references to scientific studies, whether they are medical professionals, researchers with Ph.D.'s, or laypeople. They also distinguish their data-based assertions from their speculations. This is actually one of the reasons I eat a ketogenic diet; the vegan lecturers never impressed me, because they make all sorts of assertions but fail to back any of them up.

(Dan Dan) #100

I agree :smiley:

I think we can all agree that the Medical and Science Community is a failure in regards to Health and Nutrition and they all have the ‘right’ degrees and licenses :thinking:

It has mostly been the lone wolf that was willing to take the risk and buck the system that are the true pioneers and visionaries. :wink:

(Troy) #101

Dr. Berg=why I’m here at this forum. Period

Did you hear that?
Oh…”.I dropped the mic”
:joy:

Those are now footsteps…off to cook my 6 slices bacon now😍

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #102

The problem is that this also describes people like the Kellog brothers and Ancel Keys—and look what they managed to achieve!

(Dan Dan) #103

Doesn’t make my point any less valid :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Kaiden) #104

So, I wrote the company, asking for the calories and basic nutritional information for the Keto Fire supplement. After all, it said it had bone broth, MCT, and even exogenous BHB. They said it was basically non-caloric, meaning it doesn’t have enough shit to do shit, making it effectively shit.

At this point, I’m sort of embarrassed that this is the first thing you see when you walk into Jungle Jim’s in Fairfield, OH. Gives keto a bad, bad name.

(KetoQ) #105

Dan, point well taken.

(Chris Robertson) #106

He repeatedly said “no water” then later in the video started saying “no pure water.” No water is factually incorrect and he should have never said we have no water in our bodies. No pure water IS factually correct but we don’t consume pure water. Pure H20 sucks the nutrients out of your cells through osmosis and kills you. I don’t know how much pure water it’s possible to consume but nobody should ever consume any pure water. Because we don’t consume pure water the only way we would get pure water is if our bodies manufacturer it. I understand what he meant to convey which is why the way he said it bugs me so much.

(Steve) #107

For the most part, I agree with the things that Dr. Berg conveys. The 10-cups of salad thing - well, I’m sure he’s very regular with his BM’s - and that’s a very healthy thing - but it’s just too much for most of us to swallow (pun intended) :wink:
I try to have a big (about 3-4 cups) salad every day, but that’s my limit…maybe if I put a full pound of bacon and two wedges of blue cheese in there??? :wink:

The one thing I DO disagree with is his stance on water. Being well hydrated does help with weight loss as well as ensuring your body works the way it should. The one “gotcha” being that you need to ensure you’re getting enough sodium so your cells retain their micronutrients. And - 8, 8 ounce glasses being too much? That’s 64 ounces - or only 4 US pints of water. That isn’t a lot. :slight_smile: That’s only 2 litres. Half a gallon. Lots of days I’ve had 6 litres or more of water. My own n=1 - if I don’t drink at least 4 litres of water a day, I didn’t lose weight (often it’s closer to 5 litres) - but that was also when I was 70+ pounds heavier. Now that I’m lighter, I likely shouldn’t be drinking quite so much - 5 litres should likely be about the limit for a ~240lb male. Obviously, if you’re outside sweating or exercising, you’ll need to work harder at keeping hydrated.
But, if you feel thirsty, you should drink water…and if you’re not keeping tabs on your sodium levels, then you should likely be having 1 or 2 electrolyte drinks a day to make sure it’s high enough.

(Bunny) #108

Dr. Berg is a genius (hands down) and the only criticisms you will see is offshoots and stragglers in the pseudo-platonic world of bro-science (those who don’t hold medical doctorates)?

One other thing all the genius peeps in this thread DO NOT recognize and that is Dr. Berg could easily enter any medical field he so chooses but he would lose his power to help people in the way he has through his YouTube videos and having the time to do that is of grave significants?

Most M.D.’s have to spend all their time caring for patients and do not have the time to do the things Dr. Berg does?

Put your feet in the shoes of real Medical Doctor and you will understand exactly what I am describing here?

(Brian) #109

And this is exactly what I do. Honestly, I have no interest in keeping track, none. I drink when I’m thirsty and I do not drink when I am not.

I suspect that Dr. Berg’s remarks came on the heels of being poked with an example of someone who drank 3 gallons of water a day and lost weight so “EVERYONE” needs to drink at least 3 gallons of water a day to lose weight. There hare been quite a few “drink more water” campaigns out there in the past decade or so.

I like water, especially when it has a little hint of lemon in it. I probably drank well over a gallon of it yesterday, probably closer to 2 gallons. But I was outside working in the hot sun and was sweating enough that my clothes were wet. I needed the water. I wanted the water. I drank it because I was thirsty. I didn’t drink it because someone told me that “if I didn’t drink another glass of water, I was going to be severely dehydrated, get kidney disease, and have parts of my body falling off but if I drank it would be healthy happy and lose weight.” Those people do kinda tire and irritate me at times, too.

Just like a lot of other human functions, water intake tends to regulate itself in normal, healthy, human. Hunger. Sleep. Thirst. Procreation interests. Yes, it probably fits into a range of “normal”, kinda like protein intake. A little more or a little less is a non-issue when it’s in the range of what we need. Too much is not good. Too little is not good. An extreme in either direction is definitely not good.

FWIW…

(Kaiden) #110

I’m so sorry, @atomicspacebunny… with Poe’s Law and all, I can’t tell if you’re serious or being utterly sarcastic.

(Steve) #111

I think the push to drink more water comes out of the lack of water consumption that’s so prevalent in western society. So many people satiating their thirst (or attempting to do so) with sugary carbonated drinks, coffee / tea, dairy products, etc. Not getting enough water leads to these people being chronically dehydrated and making it harder on their kidneys (and other organs) to function at optimum levels.
I think most people would consume enough if they only had it handy during their day…it’s surprising how much water you actually consume in that scenario. I also think a lot of people’s thirst responses are broken by trying to satiate their thirst with sources that aren’t healthy. They become used to feeling thirsty all of the time and ignoring it.

(Bunny) #112

I would leave that to ones perceptions and level of emotional maturity?

(Steve) #113

Heh. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again - we really DO need a sarcasm font for conversations via text. :smiley:

Edit: That’s why I use smiley’s (emoticons) so much. I’ve been doing this since back in the IRC and undernet, fidonet days…we had to do that to keep from pissing each other off. :slight_smile:

(Kaiden) #114

Considering he’s a scamster, and I consider his supplements to be about on the level of Brain Force, I’ll assume your post was dripping with so much sarcasm that I ought not read it without a mop and bucket.

(Bunny) #115

Start mopping my dear!