What do you think of Dr. Berg’s teachings on keto?

(Dan Dan) #71

Both are a problem to contemporary science which observes through a biased point of view which is narrow :open_mouth:

Science is suppose to be unbiased observation so its point of view can start broadly and then narrow. :thinking:

(James H Shaffer) #72

I don’t eat nearly the amount of veggies he suggests, just can’t do it since I only do one meal a day. I just make sure I get some greens with every meal, usually accompanying butter or a similar fat

(Dan Dan) #73

LOL :rofl::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
My post was meant to agree with all of you but I also correct what paul said about lack of research and science.

Your right about that interpret thing :open_mouth:

I will edit my above post :grin:

(Ron) #75

This says a lot about you. My best friend is a chiropractor and one of the smartest men I know. Judging people due to profession is insane.
You seem as desperate to validate your opinion by discrediting Dr. Berg as you accuse @Dan_Dan of defending him. :unamused:

(Dan Dan) #76

He does not give medical advice. :thinking::open_mouth:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #77

Folks, I think it’s time to chill. Everyone has said everything, so let it go and agree to disagree. Please.

(Dan Dan) #78

But…But… I agree and disagree with you @PaulL …I’m so confused…:crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I need bacon :bacon: :bacon::bacon:

(Troy Anthony) #82

I’m not sure if this is meant to agree or disagree with my point, but I agree with you as I understand it. Science is suppose to be unbiased, but I think the agenda should be to disprove anything we take as fact, as it puts it through scrutiny. At the end of the day, objective truth should handle any scrutiny. Most “health science” we see are designed to prove an already assumed position, whether financially driven or out of individual ignorance. This is my constant hang up when I discuss these things with others who have strong opinions. They could easily point to “an expert” that has “evidence” to support their position, but we live in a world of “blogging experts” that people refer to and objective facts become hard to come by. I think most people, at least In my experience, are looking to validate an already established POV.
I don’t say that to undermine their POV. I think it’s very beneficial to listen to subjective Ideas and experiment for ourselves. If I need a heart transplant, then yeah I want the agreed upon science to make that happen. When it comes to prescribed long term health to avoid said transplant, then picking your favorite YouTube star doctor could be a solid way to go. It’s definitelt much better then not caring. Most of the disagreement upon everyone is like the last 20% anyway.

(Ron) #83

I said “due to profession”.

That’s not what you said. You said-

Which one is it? Actually I don’t care, I’m done.

(Dan Dan) #84

@uniprod I agree :smiley:

I was just adding my thoughts :thinking:

(Dan Dan) #86

FYI

Disclaimer:
I do not give medical advice or endorse anyone. Anything I post is for educational or entertainment purposes only :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(matt ) #87

Folks you need to chill or I’m going to lock this. Stay on topic. No personal attacks

Thank you.

(Chris Robertson) #88

I see him as a guy with a lot of good knowledge but he frequently makes inaccurate statements to try and further his own agenda. 2 example I pointed out in one of my threads was when he said the human body has no water in it at all and when he said if your chickens are not grass fed their eggs hold no nutritional value. The body does have water as a building block for it’s components and grass doesn’t hold nutritional value for chickens unless you count the seeds, however, we call grass seed grain and make a distinction between grain and grass. A grass fed hen would die of starvation. His videos are littered with incorrect statements like these so if you do watch his videos you need to take them with a grain of salt.

(German Ketonian) #89

Thank you! I wanted to hear (un)warranted opinions, not stoking personal attacks.

(Dan Dan) #90

You took his statements out of context :open_mouth:

I don’t expect anyone to watch his videos so I will summarize it. He states that most of the nutrition is in the yokes not the whites and pasture and pasture plus grass fed chickens produce the best nutritional profile compared to non pasture and grass fed. He states plain and distilled or too much water can be a problem because too much can cause an electrolyte imbalance or hyponatremia.

Yes he makes mistakes we all do and his agenda is to further his business by providing a lot of free content which some may consider useless and some Informative. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

(GINA ) #91

He reminds me of a first grade teacher. Speak slowly in a syrupy voice. Repeat yourself. Use a whiteboard. Mmmkay?

Years ago I paid medical claims for one of the big insurance companies. I saw some of the craziest cheating schemes and straight-up fraud coming from chiropractors. I am sure there are good ones out there, but as a whole I take a pretty dim view of the profession.

(Richard Morris) #92

I have seen endocrinologists tell newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics to go on slimfast (calorie restricted low fat high sugar meal replacement) and lose weight, or he will have to recommend them for a lap band … not just any endocrinologist, but a professor of endocrinology and the guy who discovered the pulsatility of insulin AND the first person in Europe to perform an insulin test. The type 2 diabetic he was giving all this non-evidence based advice to was me.

On the other hand I know several chiropractors who have helped 1000s of type 2 diabetics by showing them how to stabilize their blood glucose with a ketogenic diet. I also know 2 orthopedic surgeons who can’t do the same, despite the overwhelming evidence showing that this is a safe and effective treatment that can save the toes and feet of type 2 diabetics.

I’m not saying that all chiros are great, and all MDs are bufoons … what I am saying is the gross generalizations are not helpful.

(Brian) #93

This kind of think kinda makes me cringe a little on the inside when I hear people say stuff like this. This is the kind of statement that someone would make when they don’t really know a whole lot about chickens but want to repeat something they’ve heard, such as the phrase, “grass fed”, and sound important.

I know a little something about chickens. I’ve owned many hundreds of them and have had flocks of 60+ laying hens in years past. I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday. And I have a little clue about what chickens eat and how they live. When I see egg cartons in the store (I sometimes look, rarely buy since we get eggs from people who have small family flocks locally), and I see things like, “vegetarian fed” or “grass fed”, things like that, I shake my head and wonder how many people actually believe that’s how chickens live in the natural world.

Chickens, when out on pasture, eat lots of bugs and slugs and worms and will even eat road kill if you present it to them. They’re not fussy eaters. They’ll also eat watermelon and pumpkin seeds like they’re candy, corn from off the cob that you didn’t get already, kitchen scraps of a whole bunch of varieties, yes some grass, they’re omnivores. They’re not vegetarians. And though they’ll eat some grass, and do, that’s not anywhere near all they’ll eat when given their choice. To be healthy, they need a decent amount of protein, too, something pushing towards 20% of their diet, and they wouldn’t get that from just “eating grass”. When they’re out eating bugs, they’ll get a lot of protein from that. When they’re confined, it’s often fed to them as soy, something that’s very cheap and readily available. It can be a challenge getting organic chicken feed at times, or it can also be difficult to get layer feed that has no soy or corn in it, for those who want to do that. There are lots of opinions out there about those ideas, probably way beyond the scope of discussion here…

Anyway, Chris, not disagreeing with anything you said, just rambling on a bit about what came to mind when I read your post.

:slight_smile:

I like chickens. They are good to have around. I also like having good eggs, which when treated well, they’ll give you. I also like to eat some chicken, but have too much of a problem with making pets out of them and can’t bring myself to butcher them, need help with that one. May have to get some more chickens one of these days…

(Sophie) #94

Your post reminded me of my friend with the farm and her chickens. Every Weds. we go out to lunch in a group and everyone contributes whatever leftovers they have to the boxes that go home with her for the chickens. We hardly leave any scraps since they eat everything! For awhile I used to order my burgers w/o a bun but now I just kick to the side for the girls. :chicken::hatching_chick::hatched_chick:

(Chris Robertson) #95

None of those egg videos were the videos I was talking about. It’s been a couple days since I watched it and can be bothered to dig it up. He was analyzing a hypothetical modern diet and said that if your chickens are’t grass fed then they hold no nutritional value. That isn’t true. Even caged hens on generic factory farm feed still impart some nutrition to the eggs and chickens are not grass fed chickens are pastured. I fully believe he didn’t mean to say grass fed but he did. He makes slips up’s like that quite frequently but when you are acting as an expert about something as important as health you shouldn’t be making mistakes like that.

The water video was in one of the link. Context doesn’t matter when you are stating false facts. He repeatedly stated that their is no water in the body.

He gives a lot of good information. He just makes more mistakes than a lot of other good youtubers so people should be a bit weary.