What do you think of Dr. Berg’s teachings on keto?

(Dan Dan) #21

A little research that took less than a minute :open_mouth::thinking:

Dr. Berg Education

September 1983 – December 1985
University of Wisconsin Parkside: 2 year undergraduate pre-med. studies.

June 1983 – December 1987
Army Reserves: X-ray technician – weekends and summers. Ft. Jackson South Carolina, Ft. Sam Houston Texas, Ft. Riley Kansas. St. Phillips College – San Antonio, Texas.

January 1985 – December 1988
Palmer College of Chiropractic: Davenport IA, Doctor of Chiropractic degree

Post-Graduate Courses

January 12/13, 1991 – B.E.S.T Technique, Bioenergistic Synchronization Technique, Life Chiropractic College West
August 22/23, 1992 – Southern California College of Chiropractic, Philosophy and Technique, Dr. Reggie Gold
December 5/6, 1992 – National-Lincoln School of Post Graduate Education, Cox Low Back Seminar, Dr. Neault
December 11/12, 1993 – International Scoliosis Research Center Inc. Biomechanics of Scoliosis Progression
November 19-22, 1994 – Microscopy, Live blood cell analysis, Certified
May 14, 1994 – Risk Management, Louisiana Union of Chiropractic ; September 25, 1994 – Motor Vehicle Collision Injuries, LUCP
November 18/19, 1994 – Earned Masters Certification in the performance of A.M.A. permanent medical impairment examination and credible fact finding.
February 3/4, 1996 – Spinal Impairment Studies (Disability rating), Dr. Mazion
December 7/8, 1996 – Fibromyalgia, Parker College of Chiropractic, Dr. Jeff Rockwell
January 18, 1997 – Contact Reflex Analysis, Dallas Texas, Dr. Versandaal
August 1997 – Comprehensive physician training course in the procedure and diagnostic interpretation of the neuro-selective current perception threshold examination, H. Chado M.D.Certification No. 30166
March 21, 1998 – Contact Reflex Analysis, New York, NY, Dr. Versandaal
April 18/19, 1998 – Contact Reflex Analysis, Harrisburg, PA, Dr. Versandaal, Dr. Fred Ulan and Dr. Bryman.
May 17/18, 1998 – Contact Reflex Analysis, Columbus, OH, Dr. Versandaal, Dr. Fred Uland and Dr. Bryman
May 30/31, 1998 – Effective Nutrition Therapy, Alexandria, VA, Dr. Michael Dobbins
August 8/9, 1998 – Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique, Buena Park CA, Dr. Devi Nambudripad
September 12, 1998 – Advanced Clinical Nutrition, Alexandria, VA, Dr. Michael Dobbins
July 6/7, 2002 – Advanced Clinical Nutrition Training, Alexandria, VA, Dr. Michael Dobbins
November 22-24, 2002 – Foundation and Therapeutic Use of Whole Foods and Phyto-Nutrients and ACG Symposium, Miami FL, Jeremy E. Kaslow, M.D., FACP, FACAI

Certification and Licensure

Virginia Board of Medicine - Certified to Practice Chiropractic: No. 1851
California Board of Chiropractic - Passed Boards in January 1990: No. 20123
Louisiana Board of Chiropractic - Passed Boards in January 1990: No. 875
Certified in the diagnostic interpretation of neuro-selective current perception threshold by H. Chado M.D.: Certification No. 30166

Current and Past Membership Affiliations

Active Member of the Endocrinology Society; in recognition of achievement in clinical practice, research and or education in the field of endocrinology.
Honorary member of Price – Pottenger Nutrition Foundation
International Academy of Chiropractic Occupational Health Consultants
Clinical Associate: CERA, Clinical Electromedical Research Academy, March 1997 Recognition of high practice standards, voluntary continuing education and superior ethical concerns in the discipline of clinical bioelectrical medicine.
Advisory Panel member of the Health Science Institute
American Association for Health Freedom (formerly the American Preventative Medicine Association)

Past and Present Affiliations

January - December 1988
National Board of Chiropractic Examination passed Part I, II, III, Certification No. 39761
December 1988
Certificate of Proficiency in Chiropractic X-ray
January 1989 – June 1989
Associate Intern for Sound Chiropractic David Graham D.C.: Lynwood WA
June 1989 – December 1998
Associate Intern for Moll Chiropractic Paul Moll D.C.: Lancaster California
January 1990 – September 1993
Practiced in San Diego CA, Private Practice
October 1993 – August 1997
Practiced in Shreveport LA, Private Practice
September 1997 – Present
Practice in Alexandria VA, Private Practice as Director of The Health & Wellness Center
January 2005 – June 2005
Taught as an associate professor at Howard University in the Health Department (Nutrition)

Recognition

Proclamation from the Office of the Mayor, Robert Williams, June 1995 Shreveport, LA
Official Statement of Commendation by Governor Edwin Edwards, State of Louisiana, May 1995 Sponsoring “Way to
Happiness Program” to a local elementary school - winning 1st place nationally (Concerned Businessmen Association)
Research participant: RAND, Chiropractic Research, 1993, by Robert Brook M.D.

Present and past publications & videos

Dr. Berg has written his own national newsletter called HealthySelf Newsletter.
Dr. Berg published three books – “The 7 Principles of Fat Burning”, “Healthy Hormones, Healthy Life”, and “Dr. Berg’s Body Shape Diets”.
Dr. Berg does weekly health videos on health, nutrition and diet. To date, he has 46,217 subscribers and 5,192,834 views. His has created over 700 YouTube videos.

(Jay AM) #22

Okay? I see a couple of courses in nutrition. I also had to take nutrition courses when studying to be a pharmacy technician (of all things). I never argued that he didn’t have quite a background in chiropractics and hadn’t earned his title. I was saying that using doctor as his title gives bearing to make whatever he says or sells seem like it’s correct. Of course the average person would rather pay more for a supplement formulated by Dr. Eric Berg than they would pay for a supplement by Eric Berg. Of course the same person would take advice and apply it as law if it came from Dr. Eric Berg versus Eric Berg no matter what said advice was.

That is my point. Anyone who has earned the title Doctor could use it and instantly become more believable just because of the title regardless of their discipline.

(Jay AM) #23

I don’t disagree with you or Khan that the nutrition studies for doctors are inadequate and based on a failed system. My whole point was exactly that about using the title to add weight to what you say. If you were Dr. Zimon here in the forum, whatever you said and recommended would be much more likely to be listened to whether conscious or not just because of the title.

This is why I don’t exactly appreciate when people are using their title to add weight to their speaking.

And then there’s this. There are more people like this out there too who wouldn’t be as keen to follow Eric Berg to the letter as they are keen to follow Dr. Berg.

(Dan Dan) #24

you missed that he Taught as an associate professor at Howard University in the Health Department (Nutrition)

(grace elizabeth) #25

Not having an MD is a plus, for me. An MD never helped me and definitely never tried to help me understand the causes and root of any condition I was seeing him/her for. Only reached for their Rx pad. I haven’t been to an MD in years.
I like Dr berg’s videos and take what makes sense to me and leave the rest.

(Brian) #26

It does. And then I think about what happens at one of the Amish produce stands we frequent. Sometimes, we’ll buy a HUGE bag of spinach. Seriously, it looks like a LOT of spinach. It would fill a standard Walmart grocery bag full and then some. And the first thought is, that’ll last us a long time. Yeah, right. When it gets cooked down, it’s barely enough for one serving for each of us (my wife and myself).

So when I hear Dr. Berg say “10 cups of veggies”, I’m thinking a little more towards what that might look like cooked down, not so much raw. Yes, we do eat a raw salad from time to time. Don’t care much for shakes of any kind. But I’d say a good many of our veggies are cooked.

That’s my take. Glad Dr. Berg likes his salads. If he really likes salad that much, he can eat them. We don’t. So we eat something else, or, we eat it differently.

Just my take.

:slight_smile:

(Tricia) #27

I’d rather not watch his videos. He doesn’t keep my attention, kinda aggravates me with his dry erase board, and to long of explanations! :crazy_face:

(Allie) #28

I listen on podcasts so don’t have to watch that :joy:

(Jen) #29

Same, girl! :joy:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #30

I dunno why, but I have an irrational dislike for chiropractic in general. I’ve come around on back pain and other spinal disorganization, but I don’t know that I’m willing to view one as a whole body wellness expert.

Doesn’t matter. I haven’t come close to ten cups of salad greens in my life, much less a day.

At the end of the day, to paraphrase James Carville, “The Carbs, stupid.” Keep the carbs in your keto range, and everything else tends to be less important in terms of getting you right.

(Dan Dan) #31

I find it odd that some judge others on what ‘little’ they don’t like or disagree it kinda sets the bar high :open_mouth:

Here is something to consider :thinking:

" Perfect is the Enemy of Good Enough "

(Allie) #32

Made me laugh because I know someone whose surname is Goodenough and they like to try and make everything perfect :joy:

not trying to pick on you just found the contradiction a bit funny. I know what you mean and it is great your doctor has gone outside the box.

Chiropractors believe in all sorts of things and tend to practice far outside their realm of training

but they do not pretend to be anything other than what they are

Some of them have gone to the trouble to learn about nutrition beyond med school,

happy you where not offended, that was not my intent. I understand. I on the other hand thought highly of them desiring to understand nutrition beyond a medical doctor. But also would not consider them doctors but a health professional of some kind.

side note, I have been studying nutrition for 40 years as a pass time, and have always thought the system had it wrong, I didn’t buy into, use veg oil, no sat fat, reduce colestoral, restrict salt and eat sugar. To me this was all bad advice and ignored it all. been eating eggs every day for 45 years with lots of salt. Never used margarine. I needed keto because I totally missed the the part about grain would make me fat.

where i live guys call them selves doctors if they have a PHD in law, so I always found that a bit odd. Now so we know doctors (real ones) need to state medical doctor so we know

(Sharon A Peters) #41

I read, I listen, I come to the Forum for variety of educated views and opinions. But in the end, I must do what works for me - as long as I keep getting better and better informed, and take that into practice on myself, then my n=1 is the ultimate testing and proving grounds. I begin to shudder with fear when someone suggests that any one person should be followed to the letter. That is when, whether the leader is encouraging it or not, the follower has developed a cult discipline around that person and their wisdom. I like Berg; he feels earnest, and informed. He’s off on some things about fats and certain carbs that lie in the gray zone, at least for my metabolism as it is today. I do not like it when anyone begins to shill product: those things are all processed (i.e.: not in their natural state), and I don’t do processed on keto.

(Sharon A Peters) #42

A PhD is a Doctor of Philosophy degree … which you can get in Philosophy or in Biochemistry, Nutrition, Biology, Linguistics, Microbiology, etc. - in a multitude of subject. MD is a Medical Doctor. Both are doctors; however, it is wise to inquire what the Doctorate is in. Berg is a Doctor of Chiropractic, and there is a lot of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and biochemistry, as well as kinetics courses required for the degree.

(Sharon A Peters) #43

Just as we are cautioned to question the brainwashing of nutrition and medical professionals, we are also brainwashed to think that chiropractors are not doctors. They are. And doctors, more and more, seem to have less training that fits with the real world research, etc… We have been taught to revere an MD degree, but there is nothing inherent in the training that makes them superior to a well trained chiro, or, for that matter, physician’s assistant or nurse. I am not, of course, speaking of neurosurgery or other such disciplines that require intense specialization. It’s a bias we’ve been trained into.

i more post directed at me and have no knowledge as to why