**sdepp**, a lean petite female doing keto for non-weight issues/optimal-health.. HELP PLEASE!

(Richard Morris) #21

My problem appears to be my right shoulder to make the micro movements for mousing, and my left knee and hip used to stablize my body while sitting on a swiveling chair. It’s a weird thing.

Dr Berg could be right about a linkage between nerves in one specific limb and an organ … I don’t know the mechanism, but then I’m not quite sure why people with heart disease appears to have problems with the left arm (other than the heart is left of center).

(Bunny) #22

Sorry for sounding like a robot!

Thanks,

Bile salt >> Is this capsule (supplements) or actually salt you put on food?

(Bunny) #24

Yes

Yes to?

(Bunny) #26

Pill form

Example:
https://www.pureformulas.com/ox-bile-100-capsules-by-allergy-research-group.html

(Bunny) #27

This may interest you also!

How Does Gallbladder Trouble Cause Pain In The Neck And Shoulder?

If you’re experiencing this type of pain from gallbladder issues, the pain originates in your phrenic nerve. This nerve connects to the soft tissue near your gallbladder and runs up the right side of your body, passing your liver and diaphragm, all the way to your neck, where it originates.

There is a duct on the gallbladder that, when clogged, pinches the phrenic nerve and causes referred pain in the shoulder, neck, and head.

Sometimes all this causes is some acute pain along the phrenic nerve’s path.

This pain can be in the upper back around or under the scapula (shoulder blade), on the shoulder, along the collarbone, up the side of the neck, and even in your head. In more serious cases, the pain can be more widespread and chronic in those areas.

Some people experience pain along their right arm or leg, as well. In extreme cases, phrenic nerve compression can even cause rotation of the vertebrae in the neck. More…

Strange sensation, body buzzing
Numbness in center of the back?

Just documenting my experience here in case it helps anyone.

So I up’ed veggies for the past three days, except I only had peanuts yesterday and my rash only got itchy last night. Maybe peanuts and I aren’t happening :disappointed_relieved:

I’m pretty sure I’m still in ketosis, so being in or out seem to be irrelevant but maybe having how much ketones matter so I’m getting a meter, wth right, might just do it right! Excited for the final verdict. Maybe I have been in and out, who knows.

(Michel Labelle) #29

@anon27775501, first off thanks for the updates. Please keep them coming.

With the rash I can sympathize, as I had a minor one about 6-8 weeks in mostly isolated to my chest. And I’ve had a few flare ups since.

I’ve never been able to nail down the source, but using my food log I’ve noticed some possibilities. For me one of them was nitrates… especially in bacon. A few slices were not a problem, but a few dozen were. It was a matter of %.

Ditto for Cacao. I know I’m allergic to Lecithin. It causes small welts and sores on my feet, hands and face. Years of margarine and lesser quality chocolate consumption created a sympathetic reaction to cacao I beleive. So now even small quantities of good quality chocolate (90-100%) are enough to cause similar symptoms (rash, welts and sores) and prime my system to react in a full keto rash if I have even small amounts of nitrates (2-3 slices of that delicious bacon, celery salt etc.) at the same time.

Can I say with 100% certainty…no. But my food log, and symptom tracking is showing a high occurrence rate. Now other things also seem to aggravate it. And that is mostly when I have more than 1 lbs per week weight loss. Hence I can’t say the 100% as there are too many variables.

My working hypothesis, is that my continued weight loss is releasing a higher number of toxins that were stored and are now circulating. When those toxins circulate they raise my sensitivity to other allergens and triggers. And when I consume an allergen trigger like nitrate, lecithin, or a a food that my body has been associated with a allergen, I react in a basic hive/rash scenario.

Can I prove this, probably never?

But here are the facts:

• I know that when I do have chocolate or cacao/cocoa, I need to give myself at least 3 days afterwards without nitrates or face a rash/sores.
  • I know that when I have bacon OR chocolate my histamine levels are up and I will develop a small rash or sores if I fast more than a day or go play out in nature (where I have a number of other mild allergen triggers).
  • I know that if I have a stressful day/week or sleep badly more than 2 nights in a row, I need to avoid trigger foods or I will develop a rash.
  • I know that if I do an extended fast and loose more than 1 lbs per week (a stressor in it self create the possible release of toxins), I will need to eat extra clean for 2-3 days on the feast cycle or suffer a rash.

BUT

• I know that I want to lose more weight, love chocolate AND bacon, and that the rash is manageable so it is entirely my choice to deal with it.

Just understanding this for myself is enough to allow me to Keep Calm and Keto On.

Let’s keep this conversation going.

@Michel_Labelle, wow thanks for the opportunities for me to geek out. Love this forum!!!

I do notice some similar patterns (too much fat, stress/lack of good sleep, IF, less veggies for me aggravates it). Now, I cannot comment on the weight loss aspect as I haven’t lost any as expected, but I do see the pattern as in general if I’m in “deep ketosis” mode I’m more likely to get the rash. This is only reasonable as I wasn’t prone to any type of rash before I started my keto journey. Funny though my facial skin improved on keto while my torso now is a mess!

And food wise I don’t have big enough a sample size to tell but a few likely’s for me,

• salmon or salmon skin in particular
  • peanuts

Good pointers on your food sensitivities, so I can also watch out. Btw I never done more than two slices of bacon in one day, so idk. Maybe also need to watch out for deli meats then?

Indeed let’s keep the convo going.

Quick questions meanwhile,

What are your “clean” keto food?
Anything helps you for itch/pain relief, any types of tropical creams? I tried a few, nothing magical.

Thanks!!

(Michel Labelle) #31

Geek out - my pleasure and why I’m here as well.

Clean Keto - Basically anything that is not refined. All raw meats, sea food, all keto veggies, avocado, olives, olive oils etc.

For Bacon, there is a Whole30 approved bacon at Whole Foods that my wife uses that I can get away with as it has zero carbs or spices added other than salt, but the price per slice is too high for me to indulge the way I did from the Whole Food breakfast bar…:grin:

Itch/pain - Normal antihistamines seem to keep me from scratching too badly, but in terms of the rash/sores themselves only time for me seems to work.

I’ve tried Tea Tree oil, Tea Tea soaps, different soaps with varying PH levels including a medical based one (Sebamed), aloe and a few medical grade creams. I also tried the showers multiple times per day. Nothing seems to help to reduce the itch and time to heal. The trigger point is sub-dermis and not surface based ammonia in my case as some have suggested may be the cause for them. It should be noted that I’ve never had Keto breath (that anyone has noted) or other signs of high ammonia other than relatively high ketones in my urine (typically 4-8 on the strips). I also keep my protein macro at the lower end for my size, which would probably mean that is not the pathway.

The good news it other than the first flare up which was about 2 weeks to get under control, I’m in tune now with the triggers/symptoms and can usually feel it coming, which means lots of water, histamines and patience. It really isn’t that bad in my case either. I’ve heard of others who have been much worst for much longer. Hopefully one of them can chime in, or I’d recommend you do a search to see any of those conversations.

Thanks for sharing your experience @Michel_Labelle!

Just following up on the clean keto foods- all you had listed sound perfect keto to me. I do try to base my diet on those, as much as I can anyway. However have a few other things I consume quite often and curious to hear your thoughts on their cleanness -

Butter (is ghee better or both ok?)
Hard cheese (feta, parmesan, pepper jack, hard cheddar mostly)
Sour cream and heavy cream
Coconut butter (lots in my fat bombs :confused: not the oil bit but much sweeter with the coconut meat blended up )
Almond flour (I use this in the keto bread recipe with butter, egg and baking soda)
Herbs and spices (cilantro, cumin, tarragon, rosemary and all the spices really)
Pickles and similar fermented things (are these similar to bacon?)

Are these more in the “moderation” camp on keto? Not in terms of macro but really trying to be clean as for my rash situation… more about the chemistry I guess.

(Candy Lind) #33

I’m sure @Michel_Labelle will chime back in, but all the stuff you listed is well withing acceptable parameters on keto, being careful about possible added sugars in fermented foods and possibly going back later to see if dairy sensitivity might be your culprit if nothing else works. But I wouldn’t eliminate dairy at the same time you make any other changes - do things one at a time so you’ll be more certain of the real problem.

(Michel Labelle) #34

@anon27775501 - As @CandyLindTX noted herself, nothing on that list give me concerns, but I am certainly not an expert in nutrition (my wife is much more in tune on that side).

Key that I’ve read, is really stick to the least refined foods you can. The Whole30 diet was one of the precursor steps on my and my wife’s journey to Ketoland. And something we learned there was realistically the importance of getting refined foods out of our diet as much as possible. It is VERY hard to do, but if it comes in a package or a container, consider it suspect until you investigate that food label. You will find hidden sugars, additives, sweeteners, and other nasty things in just about everything. Knowing is being enabled. So for a week or two eliminate something and test. Or go the extreme route that Whole30 advocates and eliminate anything that is not purchased in a RAW/WHOLE state and that you have to cook yourself. Once you’ve done that, and eaten nothing but that for 30 days (hence WHOLE30), you can introduce the elements most important to you back into your diet.

So, to your questions

• Is Ghee better than butter - Yes, but only if you need a high heat point oil, or have a problem with milk fats. Otherwise they are the same and Butter only has 2-5% milk proteins and 5-15% water, otherwise it is the same thing.
  • Hard cheese - Definitely better than soft ones (except goat), but only because the harder the cheese the lower the lactose content - AKA Sugar/Carb content. Only avoid cheeses if you have a dairy sensitivity.
  • Sour/Heavy Cream - Basically the same stuff, again if it is liquid, it will have a higher carb content. Also CHECK as some sour creams have hidden sugars and other additives. Only avoid if you have a dairy sensitivity.
    Coconut Butter - Only a concern if there is sugar or other stabilizers.
    Almond Flour - Only a concern if you have a nut sensitivity. I would DOUBLE CHECK your Baking Soda however, as there is corn starch in many, and can have higher carbs that you might like. Otherwise no concern.
    Herbs and Spices - if they are raw spices like you’ve listed, no concerns. In fact, there are positive benefits from cumin, cinnamon, and many others. Just watch any spice blends, and any pre-packaged/jarred foods that have the word SPICES, as that can mean hidden MSG, SUGAR or anything that constitutes less than 1% of the whole. It is a catch-all word that many companies use to hide addititives.
    Pickles - As Candy mentioned, watch for additives and just inquire. Typically on the companies websites you can get a much more detailed list of ingredients. Best to just avoid for a few days and test if you are better or reacting when you reintroduce.

As for the additives in Bacon and process meats, the issue is the NITRATES. A commonly used Nitrate is CELERY SALT. So sometimes they sub the one word with the other, or list both because it is heavily used. The key is how things are cured. Most bacon the cure is on the outside to protect and flavour, but this is typically washed off before it is packaged. Some companies will inject it however. So get your prepared meats (bacon, sausage, salami etc) from a brand/grocer/butcher you can trust until you know what works and what does not.

And I agree. Moderation is not a goal. Moderation is an outcome. So eat clean, not to heal the rash but to heal yourself. Once you are healthy, the rash will be taken care of.

PS Great questions, so keep them coming.

(Miss E) #35

Like someone mentioned, sounds like a stye. Have you been more stressed than usual or are you using a dry air con/heater?

May be you’re finding it hard because you’re already at optimal weight for your height? You’re only 95 pounds

Thanks @CandyLindTX. I surely will start to read those labels now. I am keeping hard cheese, sour cream and heavy cream on. Life is short and dairy is actually one of my favorite food group :slight_smile:

I think it was you initially commented on my “IR symptoms” not being typical. I wonder you or anyone else have some thoughts on my experiences then - so I get dizzy (not to the point that I need to lay down, but lightheaded) more like right WHILE I was eating, also more so at the very beginning of the meal, maybe 5-10 mins in, while I usually take my time and finish around 30mins). Carbs seem to have a stronger effect. Not quite sure… this is one of the reasons I went to keto. I suspected something is wrong with my sugar metabolism. I have to add to the context, I am underweight slightly by dietitian’s standard, but I have some fat all over. I was never big on sugary foods. I would say I never really ate a SAD, more of asian+mediterranean diet where when I do do sweets, it’s dark chocolate or greek yogurt with/or fruits.

I had explained this to my internist, multiple times. She ran A1c, fasting glucose, lipids and whatever the standard tests they do for someone not “in their danger zone”. Nothing is out of range, and she thinks I am crazy, pretty much. She did say “eat more healthy fats, as much as avocados I want” etc. I am however think something is up - that dizziness sends me to a very weird state where I somewhat cannot connect with the foods/meal/social setting of the meal. I also googled and some stuff related to Lyme, and Roemheld syndrome came up. Confused.

I am getting my glucose/ketone meter now so I am planning to test and see if it’s related to blood glucose at all. If not, then maybe something else is wrong…

Meanwhile, any thoughts? And btw, any ideas on how and when to test using my meter in my case?

I have had that before - it’s not on the eyelid but inside the lid. Rather strange, but I think it had gone down now…

What do you mean by “hard”? The rash, or the shoulder pain?

I am not on keto for weight loss. I am maintaining just fine by eating enough. Here rather for a few other reasons.

(Miss E) #40

That’s where sty’s usually are.