Doing Keto solely to lose weight? Read this

(Anna) #65

Hi Saphire
Yes I’m losing on Keto and I’m less hungry but I also do intermittent fasting along with it - I’m not hungry during the fast but once I start eating I’m really hungry. The nice thing is that bc I eat all my calories during a short period of time I feel like I’m getting a lot of food. I haven’t had the urge to cheat yet, especially since I’m getting a lot of good fats. But I just got a book on making fat bombs so I’m going to try that to curb any sweet cravings. Most of my cravings are for salty/savory items anyways.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #66

I’m doing it really to lower my body fat percentage. That can come through weight loss or recomposition, doesn’t matter to me. I’ve seen a modest amount of weight come off since starting 5-6 weeks ago, but I’ve also seen a lot of apparent reduction in body fat that wasn’t accompanied by anything on the scale. It makes sense that you’d see that on a Keto woe. You’re putting your body in a state that resists fat storage due to low levels of insulin and spares muscle due to being able to run efficiently on fat. If you do anything at all to stimulate muscle growth, you should see notable recomp effects.

It’s a rare thing to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. In the weight lifting world we call that beginner gains because the only time you typically see that is when you first start lifting. I think keto has restarted that process in my body simply due to how it optimized me for muscle growth and fat burning. It’s great stuff.

(Nancy Gibson) #67

I hear you. I use a wheelchair to get around, and those extra 5 pounds a year I’d put on gradually after menopause were making it difficult to transfer from chair to car, chair to bed, chair to shower chair, etc. I NEEDED to lose at least 35 pounds. I started Sept 2017, lost about 10 pounds water weight and promptly put it right back on. After that, I didn’t feel like I was losing any weight at all for over 6 months! Sht!! However: I was able to stop taking a number of meds for health problems I no longer have. Now I have lost about 25 pounds. And I’ve lost inches. If you can stick with it, I PROMISE you will lose. Not as quickly as you’d like. But along the way, your body will heal. We do a lot of damage with all that sugar we ate so it’ll take time, but it WILL happen.

(Stephan Goralczyk) #68

Wow, this read definitely hit on everything I was thinking. I don’t know why we all get so sucked into the checking the scale, but the muscular definition, better fitting clothes and overall wellness has been so apparent in the 5 weeks I’ve been in ketosis! I knew going into it, like anything else, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. Anyone out there struggling to keep it together, or questioning it, just trust the process and have patience!

(Roger) #69

Yr ringin’ my bell, ppl. I’m in my 8th week of keto & even despite my admonitions to myself: “you’ve had a total thyroidectomy, man, & got cancer, & yr older,… & high stress&bad sleep&this&that&theotherrtheeng! Your profile just isn’t going to be typical in this keto way o’ life. Yr not in competition. Get w/ that!”, I still got hooked on victories of the scaleish flavor. Prolly b/c errybody keeps askin’ “how much you lost so far?!” So Ifeel like I gotta represent.
Then the first stall…and I find myself right back where I’ve been soooo much of my life; viewing my body as my enemy.
Srsly? I listen to the wisdom of The Dudes! Why am I here again? I know this thing we have is about being in collaboration w/ one’s body, not competition! It’s about listening to my body’s needs rather than driving it to further harm with sheer will. Still…
No more relince on the scales for me, sunshine! Thanks for shinin’ the light!

(Ellie) #71

I think a lot of people on this forum, some of whom have done keto for a considerable period of time, would disagree with you on that. If you feel that keto isn’t a long term thing then you’d have to ask what the alternative is. Is the alternative to go back to a diet that has made people sick and fat in the first place, that rots teeth and turns your body against itself? If that is the alternative, I’ll stick to keto. However, if by more diversified you mean occasionally have a piece of seasonal fruit, or relaxing your way of eating if a social occasion is important then I would agree.

(Mon) #72

You trollin’? :thinking:

‘Normal’ is killing people. Hard Pass.

Diversity is only good if the choices don’t do harm.

Keto is a way of life, not a quick fix fad.

sigh but you do you sunshine!

Hi! I’m female, 69. Used to low carb years at a time. Researched, prepared to go keto; started with low carb, 40g/day like I used to do. (I track sodium, calories, fat, protein, carbs and fiber every day.) Two weeks: NADA! I cut back to 30g/day, increased my fat. I had zero energy. I even stood at the bottom of the stairs, gazed upward on several occasions, decided, “Nope! Don’t want it that badly,” went to a chair. I finally realized I was woefully low on salt. At 6 weeks into my ketogenic journey I said, “I’ll give it six more weeks. If I still feel terrible, I’ll just go back to low carbing.” Finally, drinking 1 Tsp salt in water every morning (YECCH!!) before my coffee-MCT oil-1 Tbsp butter-cream breakfast each day helped. I’m currently working to increase my potassium to be sure it’s a decent match to the sodium … But 7 weeks in I’ve lost 10 LBS and, with the salt, I finally feel well, although not “energetic”, yet. I wrote all this to reassure folks it can take what feels like a long time before the body “gets it”! (I decided to swallow the expense and I bought a can of Perfect Keto. I just started it 3 days ago, half of a scoop a day to make it last as long as possible. I can’t afford the product. … Well, to be honest, I just started some D-mannose for an apparent bladder infection, which is 2g carbs per dose and I’m taking 2 carbs every 2 - 3 hours, so I took the other half of the one scoop serving today to try to offset the extra carbs over 20. Yesterday it was 26 carbs, but that beats a doctor 's visit plus antibiotics!) I’ll post again in a couple of weeks to report in!) Thanks.

(Ron) #78

I appreciate the fact that you included this statement as clarification otherwise I would question your intent as well.

If you believe (or are strictly wieight driven) this is a diet instead of a WOE’ing then I guess this would fit your n=1 goal and suggestion to a diverse menu in the future. I would wonder though why you would revert back to that which brought you to keto in the first place?

(Ron) #80

So what your saying then is that you define “diversity” as maintaining a keto WOE but relaxing to a less restrictive level? I think the confusion was with the “back to a more “normal,” DIVERSIFIED diet” since “normal” has been the described way of eating (SAD) that has been promoted by the powers to be for the last 50 years.:exploding_head:
For the record, I agree that when I reach my goal that I am going to relax and enjoy keto friendly a little more also.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::smiley:

(So much bacon . . . so little time . . .) #81

I agree. I am depriving myself of sugar, jam, jelly, doughnuts, soda pop, fruit juice, bread, rice, oatmeal, cereals, potatoes, french fries, hamburger and hotdog buns, and many other edible food-like substances. They were killing me.

On the other hand, I get to eat bacon, steak, liver, bacon, lamb, duck, goose, bacon, chicken, pork, salmon, bacon, cauliflower in cheese sauce, Fathead pizza, double-cream yoghurt, bacon, heavy cream, keto cheesecake, bacon, and a host of other delicious goodies that nourish me and maintain my health.

So far, without even trying, without counting a single calorie, and without ever going hungry, I have returned all my blood markers to normal, along with my heart rate and blood pressure. And lost sixty pounds, to boot.

As far as I’m concerned, not eating pasteurized processed cheese food spread—Velveeta in a spray can—is far from being a deprivation, it’s a Godsend. Same goes for the rest of the “MANY foods” you refer to. Anyone who has done even the shallowest of research knows that the U.S. dietary guidlines are not backed by any valid science, and that the hormonal hypothesis of weight regulation has plenty of science behind it. Insulin resistance from eating an excessive amount of carbohydrate, especially sugars, is looking more and more likely to be the cause of a host of metabolic diseases, and the ketogenic diet offers a way to return to metabolic health. You may consider that a temporary goal, but I am in this for the long term.

(Karen) #82

Cheetos vs pork rinds. No contest, but I jealously guard my weight and health. I really wanted this to be just a diet for loss and then, if I was careful i could eat SAD again. That was months ago. I am drinking the Kool-Aid now. Keto for life.

K

But not the real Kool-Aid! LOL. I had to think about this for a minute :joy:

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #84

I can’t say I don’t look forward to basically hitting all my goals and being in maintenance for a while. When I get there I actually will allow myself some things. A slice of cake and a scoop of ice cream at the occasional birthday party sounds good. The light at the end of my tunnel is being able to do that say once a month without really hurting myself. I’m not insulin resistant at all though, so I don’t expect such endulgences to affect me like they might someone who is fighting diabetes.

(Brian) #85

Stuff changes as life moves forward.

I started keto because I had the sense that if I didn’t, I was gonna die soon. Is that motivation enough?

Weight was an issue and I knew I needed to lose weight. But that was only a symptom of other problems.

Once keto kicked in and my body decided it wasn’t gonna die soon, things changed some. Yeah, let’s lose weight!

Getting closer to that weight range I thought would be better, things kinda change again. Have lost a bunch of weight and look fairly “normal” compared to most of the people around me. Yes, I’d like to lose a little more, but I’m getting closer to “maintenance” than I’ve been since I can remember.

So, stuff changes. I imagine it may change some a few more times. Gonna roll with it. Definitely want to keep overall health in mind and that does include more than being “keto” or “low carb”, only small parts of the overall being.

(Dee) #87

I’ve never felt or looked better than I do currently. This WOE is equivalent to a high for me right now. I never want to let it go. I have no intentions of doing so. Just yesterday I found a journal entry I wrote to myself last June. I was saddened, shocked and enlightened by what I wrote. I weighed myself and was 292 lbs. I was clearly depressed and tired of the way I was living. This June I’m at 222 lbs! I can’t remember ever being so calm and excited about my future as I am now. I don’t feel deprived. I feel great. :slightly_smiling_face:

(karen) #88

I think that hits the nail for me - we’re not sick because we’re overweight, we’re overweight because we’re sick (or “pre-sick”, if you will).

Fix the underlying problems with metabolism and hormones, and the fat should come off - maybe not always to a target weight we’ve set for ourselves but rather to a weight our bodies choose, but nevertheless, less fat eventually.

(So much bacon . . . so little time . . .) #89

As a former pre-diabetic, I have benefited so greatly from keeping carbs low, so I am not likely to be eating any of those sugar-laden fruits that you mention anytime soon. Don’t let me stop you from enjoying them, however, and do let us know how that works out for you.

(Beth) #90

I’m a fellow passenger in the same boat as you, and just want to encourage you not to give up. It may take more time for us girls who are 50+ but it can and does happen. I lost a little initially (the usual from water weight changes) and then a few more pounds, then stalled. After a couple months when I was fat adapted, I began adding in intermittent fasting, and that’s when I started to lose pounds on the scale. Please, please give yourself plenty of time to become fat adapted first (research the process on this forum), because that makes IF much easier. I started with 16:8 (eating in an 8 hour window), then progressed to 20:4, then one meal a day. Then I tried a 24 hour fast here and there, then 36 hours, then 48. I was inspired by @collaroygal and her experience helped. Read Dr. Jason Fung’s book on fasting. I eventually added longer fasts and the weight dropped even more.
Because of the glycogen water weight that goes away, and the muscle you add due to the HGH spikes in fasting, I also now find that I look smaller at a higher weight than I ever could in the past.
You can do this. :slight_smile: It’s a journey, but such a worthwhile journey. And there are so many kind, funny, smart, experienced people on this forum, you’ll always find support and help. KCKO.

(linda cc) #91

I am with you, Anjum. Im also a 52 y.o. woman, also at it for 2 months! I experienced no weight loss, even water loss, until last week. Definitely wondered what I was doing wrong. Lots of slush-brain, and inability to do my normal workouts. Just the last two weeks I both feel normal and see some girth loss. Pee stix have registered nothing (though I only started checking after week 5) But is it because I hydrate like crazy? Blood test at dr. also shows nothing noteworthy. I can’t really figure out how to consume under 30 carbs/day, though, being vegan. I’m probably about 30-35/day. My naturopath says, “well I doubt you’ll get to ketosis as a vegan.” -which of course makes me want to prove her wrong! I do feel the cravings have lessened and I feel more even as you said. Who knows what the hormones are doing to this whole process. It would be great to know what the magical ketosis feels like. Good luck to you!