Doing Keto solely to lose weight? Read this

(Mourad Young) #347

keto is a lifestyle not just to lose weight.

(Jolene Fishel) #349

This was very helpful thank you for posting. I have been on for about a month and it been a love hate relationship. But after reading this I’m going to keep going with it. :smiley:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #350

You’re in less than 3 weeks. Lots of stuff happens when you start keto and the first few months can be eventful in many ways, some not so pleasant. Why has ‘it been a love hate relationship’? If you care to share this with us in a separate topic, I’m sure lots of folks here will have helpful info to share with you based on their personal experiences. Please don’t think that whatever you’ve experiences thus far is unique. Unless you’re a unicorn. :unicorn:

This was the perfect post for me to read today!

I am completely new (in my 3rd week) and very glad to hear:

That is a perfect description of where I’m at. Thanks for the post @MooBoom ! You put my head back in the right place, and reading your post gave me a reason to create an account so I could say thanks.

I have been reading a lot on here, and greatly appreciate the shared/collective knowledge base.

Thanks again.

(Rick longest ) #354

I am glad to be a unicorn. I love this woe
August 18 will be two years and I am down 170 pounds and from a 66 pants to a loose 46. Don’t use scales much just buy smaller pants because the tape doesn’t lie. But you have to stop being sedentary and do something with your new self. And yes I am a 64 yo Male.

(Bacon for the Win) #355

nothing constructive to add here, just a unicorn in my son’s front yard.

(Brian) #356

WOW!! Wow, wow!! What an awesome post MooBoom! First I want to thank you. This is exactly what I needed to read. I am very new to Keto, I just joined this forum last month. I have seen so many people who drop weight so damn fast once they began Keto. Sadly, I did not see the same results. I keep blaming my self for not knowing enough, or not doing it right. Im not the best cook and dont really know all the rules for Keto to actually work for me.

That said I will read my butt off on all of the links you have provided and “KCKO” .
Im about 2 weeks in now. Someone I know sent me this link to these custom keto meal plan guys. Its made it easier for me and I will keep at it for my body to kick in. https://cl1saves.wixsite.com/customketoplan
Again, thank you so much!

(Bob M) #357

Wow, impressive!

(Terri J Dorman) #358

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to here after week 1 and a loss of 1.1 lbs.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #359

I decided to post this here rather than start a new topic. But I don’t know… maybe we need a topic dedicated to common mistakes made by newbies.

One of the most common mistakes made by folks new to keto, and especially folks who have tried various weight loss diets previously, is to restrict overall calories. The most important thing about keto for folks who want to lose weight is carbohydrate restriction not calorie restriction.

Keto is part of the hormonal theory of weight loss. You can understand the hormonal theory best by this analogy: teenagers start to eat a lot because they are growing rapidly; they don’t grow rapidly because they start to eat a lot. And I’d like to give @PaulL a shoutout for this analogy.

Well, it’s similar for weight/fat loss on keto. Folks lose weight/fat on keto because they cut carbs from their diets, not because they cut calories. In fact, you can lose weight/fat on keto even when you increase the total calories you eat.

Yes, in fact, you can lose weight/fat by reducing carbs and eating the same or even more calories on keto. Why is that? It’s because (1) carbs turn into glucose (in fact they are glucose) which if not burned immediately for energy get stored for future energy as fat by insulin. (2) Eating fat increases your metabolic rate of energy consumption. Because eating fat does not increase insulin,stored fat is free to leave adipose storage to be used as fuel. On keto it will be used as fuel because by restricting carbs it’s the only fuel available.